A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

I'm not sure to what extent the Uni/Marvel agreement would limit this. Thanos is linked in the cinematic universe. I'm not sure about the actual guardians. I want to say they were linked with the avengers in the comics.

I'm willing to bet that is a topic that has come up between Disney and Universal in their recent discussions.

GoG were not specifically mentioned in the contract (they really were a footnote to comic history until now), and it's debatable if they fall under a larger "family" or if they count as their own. I also think you'll find that is why the first film didn't have such an extensive tie-in to the overall MCU to avoid them being tied to a specific other group/characters that are defined explicitly.

If it came down to it, legally, an arbitrator or judge would have to interpret - but I'm guessing they work, or have worked, it out themselves as it really would be in their better interests to do so as part of a mutual agreement where they both "win" something.

Mike S

I'm willing to bet that is a topic that has come up between Disney and Universal in their recent discussions.

GoG were not specifically mentioned in the contract (they really were a footnote to comic history until now), and it's debatable if they fall under a larger "family" or if they count as their own. I also think you'll find that is why the first film didn't have such an extensive tie-in to the overall MCU to avoid them being tied to a specific other group/characters that are defined explicitly.

If it came down to it, legally, an arbitrator or judge would have to interpret - but I'm guessing they work, or have worked, it out themselves as it really would be in their better interests to do so as part of a mutual agreement where they both "win" something.
GotG is good to go, as proven by its inclusion in the updated GMR montage. Thanos I have no idea but let's not bring up the Marvel debate again lol.

lazyboy97o

No families are specifically defined and those named are just given as examples. I still say it'll be very, very hard to convinced an arbiter that Star Lord is not an Avenger when Chris Pratt's face is all over advertising for Avengers: Infinity War.

AEfx

It beat the $500 million record?

I don't know what he's referring to. The film has done well, but it's still the #2 film this week - the only record it broke was a Pixar record (it's now their #2 opening, behind TS3).

The records for JW however keep mounting. They were just the first film to break 300M in 8 days, and it looks like they are going to be the first to break 400M in 10 days. And unless something drastic happens, it will beat The Avengers yet again this week by breaking it's 2nd week earnings, as well.

SJN1279

I don't know what he's referring to. The film has done well, but it's still the #2 film this week - the only record it broke was a Pixar record (it's now their #2 opening, behind TS3).

The records for JW however keep mounting. They were just the first film to break 300M in 8 days, and it looks like they are going to be the first to break 400M in 10 days. And unless something drastic happens, it will beat The Avengers yet again this week by breaking it's 2nd week earnings, as well.

It beat Jurassic World on Friday in box office grosses. It may end up finishing #2 after the weekend, but the race was much closer than anticipated regardless.

Goofyernmost

Definitely gives you hope for the future that there's kids out there that young who have an interest in what WDW was like when it was in its prime, long before they were born.

I love the idea that WDW genuinely could spin-it that leaving the island for the natural Florida animals to roam free and the park to decay is somehow an attraction in itself, I could see them actually saying that.

They could call it...Isla Nublar....wait, no they couldnt. I guess they could just call it Pandora. There are enough idiots out there who will defend it as a perfect fit.
Sometimes, all I can do is shake my head and wonder what people are thinking. The island was deserted because they opened up a huge park completely dedicated to animals. All that Discovery Island ever was is a clump of land in the middle of the lagoon. The animals were just as captive there, but, in a much smaller area then they are now. It was redundant at that point and something that always bother me. Isolated without many people around at all and they unable to fend for themselves. It was never a good idea, in my opinion, to have it at all, but, leaving it open now to actual nature, where it would be allowed to be a natural refuge for non-domesticated (i.e. not imprisoned for our entertainment) animals.

That's one of those things I'm surprised didn't get removed after enough of people not liking it.
I suppose, as mentioned, if it were due to allergy's then it is legitimate, but, if it's just because some people with massive humor deficiency think it's gross. Sorry, I'd ignore it too.

Last edited:

AEfx

It beat Jurassic World on Friday in box office grosses. It may end up finishing #2 after the weekend, but the race was much closer than anticipated regardless.

Ah, OK. Wasn't sure what you meant.

Yes, it looks like on Friday it beat JW by about $2M. This is likely due to the additional daytime showings (it's significantly shorter than JW, enough to fit in an extra showing)/kids out of school. For the weekend, it's looking to be #2 overall, being out-grossed by over $20M by JW.

It is doing very well - it's Pixar's #2 opening, ever. Particularly it's notable because it has no existing IP, it's definitely a huge success.

SJN1279

Ah, OK. Wasn't sure what you meant.

Yes, it looks like on Friday it beat JW by about $2M. This is likely due to the additional daytime showings (it's significantly shorter than JW, enough to fit in an extra showing)/kids out of school. For the weekend, it's looking to be #2 overall, being out-grossed by over $20M by JW.

It is doing very well - it's Pixar's #2 opening, ever. Particularly it's notable because it has no existing IP, it's definitely a huge success.

And I hated it....lol

Box office mojo has Inside Out beating Jurassic by 5 million on Friday. I think Jurassic will win Saturday, while Inside Out wins Sunday. Jurassic may come out on top, but not by the almost 50 million dollars most experts were predicting.

Mike S

I still want to see GOTG take over for Aerosmith. Real animatronics before the launch, proper use of screens during the coaster section, and an awesome soundtrack. Hopefully someday.
No more overlays please, especially for the one big Marvel property they can use in WDW.

I was very excited for this movie and even I'm surprised at how well it's doing. Universal execs must be very proud and i'm just loving all the hints of park expansion :happy:

Quinnmac000

No more overlays please, especially for the one big Marvel property they can use in WDW.

I was very excited for this movie and even I'm surprised at how well it's doing. Universal execs must be very proud and i'm just loving all the hints of park expansion :happy:

I think Universal is hoping to keep the momentum with Minions tbh...3 mega franchises (Ted 2 won't do well as its rated R) would push them to new heights in the game plus i think they would become even more synergistic with cross promotions and i think they would increase investments in the theme parks even more so if the films continue succeeding at these unforseen levels.

However I think Inside Out hurt its own sales. I haven't seen it yet but most people I know who have keep saying its not a kids movie makes me think when it comes to home sales and going to see it again as a family most likely won't happen. Won't matter how great it is like the Disney distributed Spirited Away, historically it will go down as a cliffnote in disney history instead of a impactful family film and limited to internet forum love...like Wall-E

SJN1279

I think Universal is hoping to keep the momentum with Minions tbh...3 mega franchises (Ted 2 won't do well as its rated R) would push them to new heights in the game plus i think they would become even more synergistic with cross promotions and i think they would increase investments in the theme parks even more so if the films continue succeeding at these unforseen levels.

However I think Inside Out hurt its own sales. I haven't seen it yet but most people I know who have keep saying its not a kids movie makes me think when it comes to home sales and going to see it again as a family most likely won't happen. Won't matter how great it is like the Disney distributed Spirited Away, historically it will go down as a cliffnote in disney history instead of a impactful family film and limited to internet forum love...like Wall-E

I loved Despicable Me, but absolutely hated Despicable Me 2. I am betting Minions will be closer to the latter. It will do well, but I am thinking that it will be beyond all levels of awful.

Mike S

Found a very cool arcade here in NJ and this caught my eye.
image.jpg

AEfx

(Ted 2 won't do well as its rated R)

And that's just fine with me haha...because I don't want too many people to be there in the theater while I'm busting a gut, LOL.

Honestly, aside from JW, that is the other "big" film this summer for me. :) I have both the R- and X-rated versions of the talking Ted stuffed toy (think naughty Teddy Ruxpin) and I hope more editions come out this year. :)

(That said, the plot I have seen so far doesn't thrill me - but still, cussin', smokin', amorous stuffed animals just slay me.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom