A Spirited Perfect Ten

hopemax

I can't believe some of the products that are advertising films and franchises. Ran into Target today and was picking up shaving cream (Barbasol) and it was themed to JW.

Across the way, I saw Listerine (for kids I think) and Crest toothpaste with Frozen, Star Wars and Avengers IP.

Oh, that's hilarious. Barbasol was the brand of the shaving cream can that Nedry was supposed to use to store the frozen embryos for transport. So I think using it to promote JW is fantastic.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Before I head off ... just wanted to comment on the great review @WDWFigment had of the CBR on his blog. I often make some good-natured fun of Tom (but, hey, he has a hot wife and now lives where I'd like to -- he can handle it!) :)but it was interesting to see how they really did improve the rooms and make them much more upscale and understated. I don't see myself ever staying here without a 50-60% value season CM discount because of the insanity of their price points (rooms started at $64 before any discounts in 1988-89 when the place opened), but they look so good on the inside that they almost clash with the bright colors of the 'islands' on the exterior.

I haven't stayed in years. I've had about three reservations since 2007 that wound up getting canceled for better deals off property, but I do give Disney kudos for the redo. ... I had only stayed multiple times in the original rooms (complete with stocked mini bars back in the day) and the second version (the first full hard goods replacement of 2000-2001), so I missed the Nemo/Pirate rooms that appeared in between and looked quite ... bright.

I still don't understand how a Caribbean themed resort doesn't have a real bar, but that's another matter.

Now ... to take a shot at Tom ... what were you thinking attempting to review a hooker/meth den in Anaheim? I get thoroughness and all, but some of those places are quite scary (Big Secret Disney Doesn't Want You To Know: They are one of the largest slumlords in Anaheim!) You don't want to get picked up as a potential perv because you're lurking around with your camera!:eek::D:cool:

If you have a car in SoCal and are visiting more than DLR (and why wouldn't you? right @TP2000 and @raven24 and @Mukta and anyone else from the DLR forum ... who am I missing from down there @Endor Sightseer ... anyone else?), a suggestion to you for your Blog and any potential visitors: you do NOT need to stay in Anaheim. Plenty of nice quality locations in Buena Park ... in Fullerton ... in Cerritos ... in Santa Ana ... in Costa Mesa etc ... Location isn't everything there. And what I have noticed is if you stay in those locations many don't charge resort fees or parking. And depending on location, you are talking between a 15-30 minute drive ... like a Disney bus in O-Town.

PhotoDave219

Before I head off ... just wanted to comment on the great review @WDWFigment had of the CBR on his blog. I often make some good-natured fun of Tom (but, hey, he has a hot wife and now lives where I'd like to -- he can handle it!) :)but it was interesting to see how they really did improve the rooms and make them much more upscale and understated. I don't see myself ever staying here without a 50-60% value season CM discount because of the insanity of their price points (rooms started at $64 before any discounts in 1988-89 when the place opened), but they look so good on the inside that they almost clash with the bright colors of the 'islands' on the exterior.

I haven't stayed in years. I've had about three reservations since 2007 that wound up getting canceled for better deals off property, but I do give Disney kudos for the redo. ... I had only stayed multiple times in the original rooms (complete with stocked mini bars back in the day) and the second version (the first full hard goods replacement of 2000-2001), so I missed the Nemo/Pirate rooms that appeared in between and looked quite ... bright.

I still don't understand how a Caribbean themed resort doesn't have a real bar, but that's another matter.

Now ... to take a shot at Tom ... what were you thinking attempting to review a hooker/meth den in Anaheim? I get thoroughness and all, but some of those places are quite scary (Big Secret Disney Doesn't Want You To Know: They are one of the largest slumlords in Anaheim!) You don't want to get picked up as a potential perv because you're lurking around with your camera!:eek::D:cool:

If you have a car in SoCal and are visiting more than DLR (and why wouldn't you? right @TP2000 and @raven24 and @Mukta and anyone else from the DLR forum ... who am I missing from down there @Endor Sightseer ... anyone else?), a suggestion to you for your Blog and any potential visitors: you do NOT need to stay in Anaheim. Plenty of nice quality locations in Buena Park ... in Fullerton ... in Cerritos ... in Santa Ana ... in Costa Mesa etc ... Location isn't everything there. And what I have noticed is if you stay in those locations many don't charge resort fees or parking. And depending on location, you are talking between a 15-30 minute drive ... like a Disney bus in O-Town.

I spent a birthday in a POTC room.

So the photos show. I might have imbibed a few beverages that day.

Californian Elitist

You forgot @GiveMeTheMusic. :) And yes, I always scratch my head when people travel all the way to California just to visit Disneyland and no place else.

I love Buena Park and Cerritos.

Longhairbear

Just sent to me in the last 10 minutes, a very interesting read by a media pro in Shanghai.

It does completely make you understand why we can't even get a photo of Mickey Mouse on site at SDL, let alone Robert A. Iger or Thomas Staggs. Wait, though, if you happen to be heading to Shanghai, then there's a way for you to get a picture of yourself on the site with no connections needed. Enjoy:

http://whiteconfucius.com/places/infiltrating-shanghai-disneyland/
That was a fun read.

WDWFigment

It's partly about demonstrating that I'm more than willing to evaluate a range of experiences probably(?), maybe(?), hopefully(?) helps people understand I'm not just some snob.

More importantly, it helps people who otherwise might be on the fence stay away from awful places like this. Our first Disneyland trip, we stayed at a similar hotel because we didn't know any better, and that really taint the experience for Sarah. If this review even helps one person avoid that (and I know it will/has, as I got an email already saying someone canceled there) it was worth it. I can handle staying at a crappy hotel for a night.

Now, as for alternatives...Buena Park and Cerritos are both as bad or worse than Anaheim. Buena Park, in particular, has a long stretch on the road leading to Knott's (can't recall the name of the road) that are really, really scary. Orange has some nice hotels, as does pretty much everywhere south of that. If it's a casual visit or people are interested in the ocean, as well, I highly recommend virtually any of the hotels along the PCH...

Last edited:

Longhairbear

I'm in the area, sorta. Palm Springs, and yes one should visit Knotts, and all the other places in driving distance.

Californian Elitist

I hit reply and instantly saw your last line. To each their own, I suppose. I'll give deference to you, as you've probably lived here a lot longer. :)

My mother took me and my siblings to Knott's as kids and one of my favorite aunts and uncles live in Cerritos, so I guess I'm emotionally attached to those cities.

Since you now live in Southern California, our 'Explore SoCal' thread in the DLR forum could use some of your own opinions and input, Tom. We're thinking of starting a NorCal thread, and if we do that, your advice would be beneficial to the thread.

Cesar R M

Not to hijack your point, but this makes me wonder how Vekoma could set this up. I figured Disney would have patented the living daylights out of the Soarin' system. How close to the original could a clone be and not get into an infringement kerfuffle?
how so? Ive seen shows similar to Soaring in Vancouver, and announced in other places.
what so special of Disney's version?

Please no! The animated series tend to include goofy characters and I really can't seem to take them seriously.

all star wars have had goofy characters.
where have you been?
The sequels had Jar Jar. the originals had 3CPO and r2d2 bot, the ewoks.. even Han solo had his goofy moments.

Cesar R M

The problem with today's business leader and really in general is that the schools etc only teach you how to use a spreadsheet and that the numbers matter. I speak every year to the business school at my old college and it always amazes me the lack of imagination and just passion the kids have these days.

That thing about "Kids have just no passion and No imagination".

let's stop for a moment to think...

Kids now have to worry because a) school costs 50X times more, and most of them will have crippling debt after they graduate b) very hard to obtain a job, and most of them have carp salaries c) told by adults to "work harder" d) told by adults to "stop being crazy and grow up". e) having to inherit the broken economy that the "adults" left

I'm pretty sure the list could be higher.

Cesar R M

I caught that Reuters piece on the power Disney places on the Mommy Bloggers and while it was relatively well reported, I still fundamentally disagree with the premise.

When I was a kid (you know, until I was 36), my Mom didn't plan family vacations. We all did. I'd venture to say we went to Disney as much as we did because of my father. And to this day, beyond my friends with children under seven, I don't know any families where the vacation deciding power simply rests with Mama Bear.

Maybe I'm missing something, I am old-fashioned in some ways ... like hey kids, do you know what we did before Siri Jobs existed? (It's true ... she was 'born' in 2007!) We picked up a telephone (often it had this chord that prevented you from walking around the 'hood while talking on it) and dialed '0' for an Operator. Guess what? That person you spoke to actually was a live real person (sometimes even a dude if you were into that!) and they could put you in touch with just about anyone.
I think the "mombloggers" are targeted to the classic "may I talk to the manager" type women.
Where they are the ones speaking about "I am concerned for XXXX thing during my travels!" when talking to their husbands.
They might have leverage, but I agree that they usually not do the planning.

Nmoody1

I know originally there was talk of opening with a third resort, but ever since Euro Disney they have been conservative on the hotel inventory. I haven't looked in over a year, but the number of new hotel rooms in Shanghai has just exploded in the last five years. Of course, I'm looking at top flight American/global chains when most visitors to this park who aren't just in for the day will likely be staying in Chinese lodging, not the Hilton (Shanghai Huangpu) on the Bund (a favorite of a good friend of mine who is there every year). I still haven't spent a night at the HKDL resorts, but I lived in the city while working there and when I was visiting from elsewhere in China, I didn't want to be stranded on Lantau. I absolutely want to stay out there at some point and love the look of the under construction Explorer's Lodge (maybe they'll have tiki mugs that I can wheel and deal on the eBay?)

Stayed at the Hollywood Hotel Last year.. it was nice. It did the job. All the amenities you'd expect from an Asian hotel (I think disney call it distinctively Chinese - I'm bored of reading that term in every release!) And the resort was very quiet during the day - ie pool was empty and you could walk around the grounds in peace - not that you really want to be outside in august!

Breakfast was included and was ok. I wouldn't rush back for breakfast - there are much better places in HK to eat. It was interesting that our breakfast included a meet and greet with chef mickey... you got a voucher to go see mickey - it was one photo and that was your time done. No 2nd's. Very organised - would never work at the contemporary! ;)

Overall it was a little expensive, and I probably won't stay on site again until the explorers hotel opens. Busses were nicely air conned and everyone had a seat. Each resort had its own bus... no sharing as with contemporary/wilderness or polynesian/grand flo.

The walk from the park is fairly long and boring to the hotels. You get to see just how much room they still have to play with... A few shops, restaurants and entertainment options wouldn't go amiss - I'm sure these will come with a 2nd park!

It was somewhat sad to see the disused ferry pier sitting empty.

I'll be back at the end of July - I'll visit HKDL hotel for a bite to eat at Crystal Lotus.

Mike S

I can't believe some of the products that are advertising films and franchises. Ran into Target today and was picking up shaving cream (Barbasol) and it was themed to JW.

Across the way, I saw Listerine (for kids I think) and Crest toothpaste with Frozen, Star Wars and Avengers IP.
Well, Barbasol and Jurassic just fit together ever since the first movie ;) Toothpaste is weird though. Who wants to use Frozen toothpaste? I would imagine it's not very effective at getting the job done.
You forgot @GiveMeTheMusic. :) And yes, I always scratch my head when people travel all the way to California just to visit Disneyland and no place else.

I love Buena Park and Cerritos.
Yeah. At least go to Hollywood as well :facepalm: Loved seeing other places besides just DL and can't wait to go back :)

The Mom

Premium Member
I caught that Reuters piece on the power Disney places on the Mommy Bloggers and while it was relatively well reported, I still fundamentally disagree with the premise.

When I was a kid (you know, until I was 36), my Mom didn't plan family vacations. We all did. I'd venture to say we went to Disney as much as we did because of my father. And to this day, beyond my friends with children under seven, I don't know any families where the vacation deciding power simply rests with Mama Bear.

Maybe I'm missing something, I am old-fashioned in some ways ... like hey kids, do you know what we did before Siri Jobs existed? (It's true ... she was 'born' in 2007!) We picked up a telephone (often it had this chord that prevented you from walking around the 'hood while talking on it) and dialed '0' for an Operator. Guess what? That person you spoke to actually was a live real person (sometimes even a dude if you were into that!) and they could put you in touch with just about anyone.

We didn't go on vacation when I was growing up, as we couldn't afford to do so. But if we had, my mother would have done all the choosing and planning. Just as I do all of the planning. One week a year is with my husband's family, so I guess I don't choose that one - although I am the one who gets with them to make a decision on destination, not him. I am also the "tour guide" as my husband likes to say. I do all of the planning, even if he has determined the destination, such as a trip to Costa Rica a couple of years ago for a competition.

But going to WDW was never a major vacation due to proximity. I've gone with my children and without my husband more times than with him. So I don't know if I would have made a unilateral family decision to go there. ;)

We have no problem taking short solo trips to pursue our different interests; I travel a lot for my sports officiating, and he travels for his shooting competitions. I just recently spent a week helping my son get settled in a different state. I am now a 100% empty nester.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom