A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Monday Musings:

I can't believe that Manic Monday by the Bangles is actually older than a significant number of my friends. But that's what today was with the amazing numbers put out by Jurassic World (again, no spoilers please ... I hope to see it tomorrow, but may not see it until the weekend!)

When a film, expected to be a blockbuster to start, comes in over $75 million above projections, that speaks loudly about two things: 1.) People wanted to see it; and 2.) Projections are just that ... educated predictions. No more, no less.

Now, before starting another world war here over what I am about to write, please think about it before you post angry.

JW does nothing but help Universal/Comcast. It gives them a completely unexpected bounce and shows there's plenty of life in them dere dinos (I am sure @WDWFigment could have told them the same thing!)

Now, compare that to Disney and Star Wars. The hype started almost as soon as the ink was dry on the contract from George Lucas. It went up a few notches when the original cast was brought back and JJ was brought in to lead the effort. Wall Street has already planned for record box office. Disney has set itself up for one of only two scenarios: 1.) the film does as expected; 2.) the film does less than expected.

There is no other option.

The value of owning Lucas and of making The Force Awakens has been built into forecasts by analysts and the stock price itself. If the biggest film of the year winds up being the one with Star Lord and not the one with the wookie, then Disney stock will take a hit.

It's all about expectations. Can you get a bounce from something that already is expected? Something that already is in the math?

I don't know. But I don't think so.

And I'm also not at all convinced that Star Wars will outdraw Jurassic World, let alone become the highest grossing film of all time. Make no mistake, that's what Wall Street has priced in. Anything less and you're going to hear the groans of ''can the franchise thrive with all the stand alones?'' ... ''can Lucas be handled the same way Disney is handling Marvel and get the same results?'' (please keep all sharp objects away from @PhotoDave219 !)

Again, before posting angry, just think about the above ... it's not about whether Star Wars will make billions. It's about the fact that Bob Iger and Company has sold the Street on the idea that The Force Awakens will be the biggest film of all-time (until the next one). I'm just not all that sure.

Oh, and one UNI Parks note, but I'm thinking that Beijing JP concept just got signed, sealed and delivered (even though it seemed a sure thing anyway!)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hopefully i can catch it live, don't want to see any spoilers!
Actually, as a side note, when I was making my Uni payments, the lady on the phone (who we chatted about the parks in general for nearly 45 minutes before she took my final payment, and I mean that in a good way, it was a great conversation...she even took the time to figure out how best for me to get from Portofino to Cabana Bay for breakfast, and recommended we check out that resort pool as they have a lazy river!) actually mentioned the Nintendo/Uni partnership, and hinted (as a bus driver would, I get that) how much potential lay there. She's excited about it, and it made me excited.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I caught that Reuters piece on the power Disney places on the Mommy Bloggers and while it was relatively well reported, I still fundamentally disagree with the premise.

When I was a kid (you know, until I was 36), my Mom didn't plan family vacations. We all did. I'd venture to say we went to Disney as much as we did because of my father. And to this day, beyond my friends with children under seven, I don't know any families where the vacation deciding power simply rests with Mama Bear.

Maybe I'm missing something, I am old-fashioned in some ways ... like hey kids, do you know what we did before Siri Jobs existed? (It's true ... she was 'born' in 2007!) We picked up a telephone (often it had this chord that prevented you from walking around the 'hood while talking on it) and dialed '0' for an Operator. Guess what? That person you spoke to actually was a live real person (sometimes even a dude if you were into that!) and they could put you in touch with just about anyone.

Mike S

Spirited Monday Musings:

I can't believe that Manic Monday by the Bangles is actually older than a significant number of my friends. But that's what today was with the amazing numbers put out by Jurassic World (again, no spoilers please ... I hope to see it tomorrow, but may not see it until the weekend!)

When a film, expected to be a blockbuster to start, comes in over $75 million above projections, that speaks loudly about two things: 1.) People wanted to see it; and 2.) Projections are just that ... educated predictions. No more, no less.

Now, before starting another world war here over what I am about to write, please think about it before you post angry.

JW does nothing but help Universal/Comcast. It gives them a completely unexpected bounce and shows there's plenty of life in them dere dinos (I am sure @WDWFigment could have told them the same thing!)

Now, compare that to Disney and Star Wars. The hype started almost as soon as the ink was dry on the contract from George Lucas. It went up a few notches when the original cast was brought back and JJ was brought in to lead the effort. Wall Street has already planned for record box office. Disney has set itself up for one of only two scenarios: 1.) the film does as expected; 2.) the film does less than expected.

The value of owning Lucas and of making The Force Awakens has been built into forecasts by analysts and the stock price itself. If the biggest film of the year winds up being the one with Star Lord and not the one with the wookie, then Disney stock will take a hit.

It's all about expectations. Can you get a bounce from something that already is expected? Something that already is in the math?

And I'm also not at all convinced that Star Wars will outdraw Jurassic World, let alone become the highest grossing film of all time. Make no mistake, that's what Wall Street has priced in. Anything less and you're going to hear the groans of ''can the franchise thrive with all the stand alones?'' ... ''can Lucas be handled the same way Disney is handling Marvel and get the same results?'' (please keep all sharp objects away from @PhotoDave219 !)

Again, before posting angry, just think about the above ... it's not about whether Star Wars will make billions. It's about the fact that Bob Iger and Company has sold the Street on the idea that The Force Awakens will be the biggest film of all-time (until the next one). I'm just not all that sure.

Oh, and one UNI Parks note, but I'm thinking that Beijing JP concept just got signed, sealed and delivered (even though it seemed a sure thing anyway!)
And IoA? Is this quote I put up true?
Well, that was incredibly fast. Even for Universal :D
View attachment 97061

I will not go to the actual site to avoid spoilers.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I caught that Reuters piece on the power Disney places on the Mommy Bloggers and while it was relatively well reported, I still fundamentally disagree with the premise.

When I was a kid (you know, until I was 36), my Mom didn't plan family vacations. We all did. I'd venture to say we went to Disney as much as we did because of my father. And to this day, beyond my friends with children under seven, I don't know any families where the vacation deciding power simply rests with Mama Bear.

Maybe I'm missing something, I am old-fashioned in some ways ... like hey kids, do you know what we did before Siri Jobs existed? (It's true ... she was 'born' in 2007!) We picked up a telephone (often it had this chord that prevented you from walking around the 'hood while talking on it) and dialed '0' for an Operator. Guess what? That person you spoke to actually was a live real person (sometimes even a dude if you were into that!) and they could put you in touch with just about anyone.
Get off my lawn.

getoffmylawn.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Spirited Monday Musings:

I think that Marvel Studios has done a great job of managing the "story" and blending the movies...that said, I view myself (a middle aged guy with a kid and grew up with Marvel Comics, heck, I have the whole Series 1 and Series 2 Marvel Trading Cards from the 90s, including ALL of the hologram cards)...

I'm a target audience. But, I went to go see Jurassic World on my B-day self treat, not Ultron.

And yet, I have no wish to see Ultron. I may drag myself out to see Ultron because...well, I'm bored and I really should be interested in Ultron due to my background and personality...but I'm not. Why? Because it looks like Avengers 2. And, yes, I know that's what it is, but that's not necessarily a good thing. It's <insert baddie> CGI silly plot Mike Bay level stuff.

And, with the rate they are pushing out films, I'm sure they'll all make money, but I'm not sure if the complete arch will tentpole every time. Antman should NOT be a tentpole. Granted, they are doing some interesting things with the TV series like SHIELD and Daredevil, but if I'm already tired of it, I'm sure someone who isn't a Marvel fan is even more so.

When I've heard about what they are doing with the Star Wars franchise (mimicking Marvel)...I got disappointed. Sure, at ComiCon and DragonCon they'll get applause, but the mass audience at large (even that audience)...keeping quality scripts and story each movie and not just Bay style eye candy with shallow everything else...

I just don't see it happening.

It cheapens...the "premium brand".

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Shanghai Musing (watch how this wakes people up!):

I was reading the 'official Disney' press release on the resort's two hotels and there were parts that ... how do I put this ... I'd bet the lives of a few people on this site were written by folks schooled by Xinhua.

Again, this is NOT for the Chinese. This is for the English-language site that largely at this point is being read by a few fanbois, a few analysts and a few reporters.

EDIT: to include link https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com.cn/en/press-room/

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Spirited Shanghai Musing (watch how this wakes people up!):

I was reading the 'official Disney' press release on the resort's two hotels and there were parts that ... how do I put this ... I'd bet the lives of a few people on this site were written by folks schooled by Xinhua.

Again, this is NOT for the Chinese. This is for the English-language site that largely at this point is being read by a few fanbois, a few analysts and a few reporters.

Where may I read said press release?

TalkingHead

I'm not a big fan of how Disney runs its Florida parks, but just to show I can give the Mouse some love, I wanted to sing the praises of Sanaa where I had an exceptional lunch today.

I was able to make reservations the night before, and the restaurant itself wasn't terribly busy. The food was delicious -- the bread service is justifiably recommended and the tandoori chicken was very filling. The prices were reasonable for property. Entrees between $16-23.

The view out the windows is great, and it's -- dare I say it -- a pretty magical setting with the animals roaming the savannah.

In fact, the entire AKL Villas looked fantastic (well, maybe not the parking garage aesthetic). The Villa grounds were a very relaxing place to wander (compared to the AKL lobby that was overrun with tired-looking tourists waiting on their rooms), and it's a lot of fun being able to walk outside and observe the animals. The pieces of art set in niches throughout the building are a really nice touch.

If I stayed there, I don't think I'd want to spend as much time in the parks themselves. Seriously, the vibe felt old-school WDW, which is high praise indeed. It's definitely worth taking the time to go there in lieu of your 57th trip to DHS.

Somewhat off topic, but I wonder if management has ever given any thought to offering a single-park AP for DAK. I know there’s the “After 4” Epcot AP, but I’m a little surprised a DAK-specific AP was never considered. Probably will never happen now that Disney’s trying to make the park a full-day experience with night entertainment and Avatar, but I could see myself wanting to visit DAK repeatedly whereas the thought of visiting MK on a consistent basis makes me break out in a cold sweat.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Second Spirited Shanghai Musing:

The financial press seems intent on buying into the idea that Shanghai Disney Resort will debut February 8th for Lunar New Year. That is NOT reality.

Now, maybe the hotels will debut. Maybe DisneyTown too or parts. But not the park.

It's the largest mass migration of people on Earth at one time. Think of it like the Thanksgiving rush added to the Christmas rush added to the New Year's rush in the USA and then multiply it several times over.

BTW, I have to believe Disney wants this out there for some reason.

BrerJon

The AMC food (I've been to one, though not the one at Disney, we have them here in ATL) is AWFUL!

I go to Studio Movie Grill. The food is MUCH better, and they are price comparable with AMC.

I find eating in the dark always ends up with half the food down my shirt, so I'm not a big fan of Fork and Screen! Plus I like to focus on a movie and anything more complex than shovelling Milk Duds or popcorn into my mouth distracts my concentration too much!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom