A look inside the new Disney Story Room family suites at Disney's Art of Animation

COProgressFan

Are the rooms kinds tacky? Yes, but then so are the hideous floors in the Grand Floridian lobby but we still love RPC.

Interesting about the GF floors. But the marble floors are certainly an upgrade over what was there. Its crazy to me that until 2009/2010 that the GF still had cheap looking old ceramic tiles in the lobby. The marble certainly makes more sense and looks much more upscale. Only issue there is the over reliance of the characters in the tiles. A few more "hidden" characters in the marble might have been cute, but I think they went overboard.

Back on topic -- when Disney does "tacky" I just find it a shame, because I know they can do better.

COProgressFan

I agree with some of the others here, this hotel just seems like the least broadly appealing resort Disney has ever built. And it did not have to be that way. The rooms could have been designed in a way in which it wouldn't feel borderline embarrassing for anyone over 7 to be sleeping in.

And before anyone says it. Yes I know I don't "have" to stay here. So, why am I complaining? I am just stating my opinion. If you disagree thats cool.

I think they could have done a better job to appeal to kids and families alike. It didn't have to be that way. Even rooms at the All-Stars aren't as in-your-face as these are. You could design family suites themed to animation which are a lot more classy and interesting. But instead, these rooms feel like they are just pandering - "you want character suites like Nickelodeon? Ok, here they are! The carpet looks just like how it is when Nemo throws up!!"

I understand going after "niche" markets but this certainly isn't very innovative or unique. Well, the concept of the suites might be, the execution/design certainly isn't.

Adults want to make their children happy, but for most adults, other than pleasing their children, there is very little appeal here.

lebeau

The only problem with this line of thinking is, the fitness suites are going to take up 1 floor of 1 hotel. I think like 10 rooms? That makes it a very different animal.

It's a different animal but the same basic concept. The niche for the ultra expensive fitness suites is a lot smaller than the niche for family suites with little kids. Thus, the differences in number of rooms being offered.

-
I personally do not like the look of these new rooms. And I was actually pretty excited about the AoA resort. I feel these rooms are a let down. I just got married last summer, so while I do not have kids at the moment, they are not far off. When they announced AoA I thought it sounded like a great place for a family to stay. And my hopes were pretty high. Now, looking at those images, I can not imagine ever staying here. And even if we did stay when the kids were still very young, once they reached 12,13 years old, these kitschy rooms would hold no appeal whatsoever.

I agree with some of the others here, this hotel just seems like the least broadly appealing resort Disney has ever built. And it did not have to be that way. The rooms could have been designed in a way in which it wouldn't feel borderline embarrassing for anyone over 7 to be sleeping in.

And before anyone says it. Yes I know I don't "have" to stay here. So, why am I complaining? I am just stating my opinion. If you disagree thats cool.

I appreciate your opinion. And don't get me wrong, I don't "like" these rooms in the sense that I wouldn't choose to stay there myself. But I know my little girls would LOVE them. So, I like them from that point of view. If you have a kid some day and you can see the rooms through their eyes, you may find your opinion changes dramatically. Kids have that effect.

Yeah, the kids will outgrow these rooms. We won't be dragging teenagers to the Little Mermaid room. That's not what they are for. Thankfully, we'll have choices.

Sure, the rooms could have been designed to skew older. Then they'd be almost exactly like the All Star Movies. The idea was to offer something different.

Where do people get this idea that everything in Disney World needs to appeal to all groups equally? :shrug:

lebeau

I think they could have done a better job to appeal to kids and families alike. It didn't have to be that way. Even rooms at the All-Stars aren't as in-your-face as these are. You could design family suites themed to animation which are a lot more classy and interesting. But instead, these rooms feel like they are just pandering - "you want character suites like Nickelodeon? Ok, here they are! The carpet looks just like how it is when Nemo throws up!!"

I understand going after "niche" markets but this certainly isn't very innovative or unique. Well, the concept of the suites might be, the execution/design certainly isn't.

Adults want to make their children happy, but for most adults, other than pleasing their children, there is very little appeal here.

The suites aren't meant to be innovative or unique. They are an attempt to get a piece of the Nick suites' pie. This has been Disney's MO for years. They are reactive. Someone else has success with an idea and Disney apes it.

Wish it were otherwise, but I can't blame Disney for stealing a successful concept and making money off it.

Does anyone doubt this will be a very successful project? I really don't see how it can fail.

NewfieFan

I wanted to start a new post because I felt a rant coming on.

I get that Disney World is meant to appeal to every one. But I don't understand why so many people around here get so hot and bothered every time Disney builds something that primarily appeals to children. It seems a lot of posters around here want everything to be built for an adult audience and if kids like it, that's great.This group tends to trot out that old Walt quote that if you target kids, you're dead. But I think they are taking this quote way too literally. Walt build attractions and made movies that appealed primarily to kids. There's nothing wrong with targeting kids. Kids are a big part of Disney's audience and they are the future adults who will want to stay at more adult resorts later in life.

The key is not to target kids exclusively. Right now, Disney World has plenty of resorts that appeal primarily to adults. But it doesn't have much aimed directly at kids. This resort fills a gap. That's why it's being built. Building more rooms exactly like the ones Disney already has too many of would be pointless.

All you child-haters out there, think of it this way. You may never want to stay at AoA, but at least it will pull a lot of families with little kids out of the more adult resorts which are so precious to you.

See, win/win. Now quit your bellyaching!

*hand clap*

I highlighted my favorite quote! Those without children have no idea what it means to appeal to families. Sometimes appealing to families, means appealing to kids! Crazy concept, I know!!! :rolleyes: Something happens when you have kids... all of a sudden what interests them... interests you! Parents enjoy what their children enjoy! Walt built a carousel... you can't tell me that was for the adults! No, it was for the kids but the parents can get on the carousel and have a spin with their children. Not everything in WDW can appeal to everyone! You have some attractions that do this and do it well but others appeal to certain groups. And so it is the same with resorts. I have kids aged 8 and 5 and we are DVC owners. My kids don't "appreciate" the theming at Kidani Village. Sure they love the real animals and the awesome kids water play area but they don't admire the artifacts in the hallways. I just showed them the pictures of these rooms and their little eyes opened wide. "Oh, oh, mommy can we stay there sometime???"
These rooms will appeal to kids and they WILL appeal to the parents of these children as well!

kapeman

Meh. Still have yet to be impressed by any of these character themed rooms (including the Pirates and Royal rooms, though I do think the Pirates theme is the best so far) but I'm not the target audience so what does it matter? :shrug:

Agreed, however, I did like the Haunted Mansion themed room.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Where do people get this idea that everything in Disney World needs to appeal to all groups equally? :shrug:

I am not saying these rooms SHOULD appeal to everyone. Only that they COULD, and I wish they did.

Imagine, that instead of the gaudy design they have now. That the Lion King room really transported you to pride rock, and the Jungle where Simba lived Timon and Pumba, or the elephant graveyard. Instead of just pictures of Simba sleeping on a hammock.

Maybe I was hoping for too much from a Value resort.

COProgressFan

Does anyone doubt this will be a very successful project? I really don't see how it can fail.

It certainly remains to be seen. Gaudiness factor aside, I think the major issue may be the price points. One indicator of this resort's success will be the availability of rooms as well as discounts.

njDizFan

I am not saying these rooms SHOULD appeal to everyone. Only that they COULD, and I wish they did.

Imagine, that instead of the gaudy design they have now. That the Lion King room really transported you to pride rock, and the Jungle where Simba lived Timon and Pumba, or the elephant graveyard. Instead of just pictures of Simba sleeping on a hammock.

Agreed. The moderate themed rooms are a better example of what could have bedn done. But I'm sure they will sell very well.

lebeau

I think they could go one of three ways.

1. What you're talking about which is probably too expensive for a Value

2. All Star Animation (gaudy outside, Red Roof Inn inside) which is what a lot of people around here seem to have wanted.

3. What we got.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The suites aren't meant to be innovative or unique. They are an attempt to get a piece of the Nick suites' pie. This has been Disney's MO for years. They are reactive. Someone else has success with an idea and Disney apes it.

Wish it were otherwise, but I can't blame Disney for stealing a successful concept and making money off it.

While I wouldn't call Disney uniformly reactive (many trends in resorts and theme parks were started by Disney, after all), I certainly agree that, in this case, you're exactly right as to what the target is and why they're doing it. And they should do it.

My family is the perfect target here. My wife and I have two kids, 8 and 2. When we travel, we like to stay in a place with the following attributes:

1. King Size bed for my wife and I -- Queen acceptable. Double unacceptable. We don't go on vacation to be unable to sleep.
2. Separate sleeping area for the kids, with a door and all that, but not a separate door to the outside/hall. We want to be able to put the kids to bed and stay up ourselves, but don't want to do the "connecting room" thing because then the kids can wind up leaving the room without us knowing.
3. A refridgerator and preferably a microwave. The ability to have drinks and snacks easily accessible in the room makes things easier.

To get this at WDW, before family suites, we would need to pay for a 1 bedroom villa. At $250/night +, it's more than I care to pay, considering I can get a two bedrrom condo about 1 mile away for less than $500/week. If, however, the family suites eventually make this possible at $100 or $125/night, we might stay on property far more often than we do. Currently, the family suites at ASMusic never get discounted, so they're still rather pricey in my mind, but with more inventory, perhaps we'll get there.

lebeau

*hand clap*

I highlighted my favorite quote! Those without children have no idea what it means to appeal to families. Sometimes appealing to families, means appealing to kids! Crazy concept, I know!!! :rolleyes: Something happens when you have kids... all of a sudden what interests them... interests you! Parents enjoy what their children enjoy! Walt built a carousel... you can't tell me that was for the adults! No, it was for the kids but the parents can get on the carousel and have a spin with their children. Not everything in WDW can appeal to everyone! You have some attractions that do this and do it well but others appeal to certain groups. And so it is the same with resorts. I have kids aged 8 and 5 and we are DVC owners. My kids don't "appreciate" the theming at Kidani Village. Sure they love the real animals and the awesome kids water play area but they don't admire the artifacts in the hallways. I just showed them the pictures of these rooms and their little eyes opened wide. "Oh, oh, mommy can we stay there sometime???"
These rooms will appeal to kids and they WILL appeal to the parents of these children as well!

Glad you liked it.

We have stayed at the mods with our girls. We've visited the deluxes. The kids were not at all impressed with the theming there. To them, a Southern plantation is a Southern plantation. The idea that they are seeing one in central FL is no big deal. A beautifully recreated African village or northern national park isn't going to impress them.

A room full of Nemo stuff will. Light-up conch shells, starfish on the bedding and matching carpet, paintings of cartoon characters? Oh heck yeah!

The only thing my kids thought was cool about the theming at the moderates was that the bed at POR was "made of logs".

Will I be embarassed to sleep in a room designed for kids? Are you kidding me? The kids will be happy so I will be happy. And I won't miss the log beds at POR one bit.

But I guess some people are more sensitive than me. :rolleyes:

WDWmazprty

Glad you liked it.

We have stayed at the mods with our girls. We've visited the deluxes. The kids were not at all impressed with the theming there. To them, a Southern plantation is a Southern plantation. The idea that they are seeing one in central FL is no big deal. A beautifully recreated African village or northern national park isn't going to impress them.

A room full of Nemo stuff will. Light-up conch shells, starfish on the bedding and matching carpet, paintings of cartoon characters? Oh heck yeah!

The only thing my kids thought was cool about the theming at the moderates was that the bed at POR was "made of logs".

Will I be embarassed to sleep in a room designed for kids? Are you kidding me? The kids will be happy so I will be happy. And I won't miss the log beds at POR one bit.

But I guess some people are more sensitive than me. :rolleyes:

:lol: I agree. A bed is a bed, whether it has Nemo on it or not! If you have kids and thats what they like, and you want to appeal to them then you shouldn't be whining. If you don't have kids and you like Nemo, The Lion King, or any of that; then..who cares?! Stay there anyway. In the end its a comfortable suite for you to stay in. :p

Tomi-Rocket

it's obvious....

I'm sure the people at WDW know enough of their target audience to know what will be popular and what won't. It is obvious these family suites were built to appeal to people with young children. Not to people who have teens or want to stay at a hotel like the Grand Floridian. I have yet to see pre-school age kid who wouldn't love these rooms. Not their parents, the kids. :hammer: It's exactly like a pre-school classroom and for good reason, that is exactly who the AoA is targeting.

I think they're fun and different than anything else on property. We are planning on staying at the AoA in '13. I figured I better squeak in one visit when my youngest will be 12, who we are letting choose the building we are staying in. It will be our first time trying a family suite and I think we'll all enjoy it and we are all looking forward to staying there. Although it is on my wish list to stay at all the WDW hotels at least once!

fosse76

The Nemo room seems the most themed but that carpet...I think it would make me dizzy if staying there for a week. But $395.....hmmm, for that price i'd rather stay at the Poly or somewhere else.

That's what I don't understand. $395 is a lot of money for a value resort, even if it is a suite. You might as well just get two standard value resort rooms...it'd still be cheaper. That pricing makes no sense. And if they don't sell at the expected levels (due to price) you know they won't ever reduce the price of the rooms except through discounts, because to do so would be an admission that they overpriced them.

As far as design, I agree with the other poster who used the word "garish." It's one thing to have a theme, it's quite another to have that theme throw-up all over the room. The values have subtle themes inside the actual rooms, were it isn't intrusive. This is beyond intrusive (The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo rooms, that is; Cars looks more appealing simply because it isn't near as tacky).

DisneyJoe

You might as well just get two standard value resort rooms...it'd still be cheaper.

Yes, 2 standard rooms is cheaper - but many people put great importance on that kitchenette - so they don't mind paying the cost of 2 rooms plus a bonus for the kitchenette - as well as the queen bed.

lebeau

That's what I don't understand. $395 is a lot of money for a value resort, even if it is a suite. You might as well just get two standard value resort rooms...it'd still be cheaper. That pricing makes no sense. And if they don't sell at the expected levels (due to price) you know they won't ever reduce the price of the rooms except through discounts, because to do so would be an admission that they overpriced them.

The $395 rate is during the summer season. And that's the weekend rate. It's $345 during the week.

By comparisson, the All Star Music suites are $295 during the week and $345 on weekends. So it's an extra $50 a night if you want the themed rooms. Seems to me like Disney's got the price just about right.

For the same time frame, a standard value room will cost you $129 during the week and $154 for a weekend night. So two rooms will cost you $258 or $308 depending.

For about an extra $90 over two Value rooms, you get a suite with elaborate theming. That's going to appeal to a lot of families.

Those that it doesn't appeal to will likely stay at All-Star Music, get 2 value rooms or stay at any number of the other options both on an off Disney property.

In short, the pricing may be high. But it's wholly in line with Disney resort pricing.

COProgressFan

For the same time frame, a standard value room will cost you $129 during the week and $154 for a weekend night. So two rooms will cost you $258 or $308 depending.

For about an extra $90 over two Value rooms, you get a suite with elaborate theming. That's going to appeal to a lot of families.

I think that $90 is a huge markup on the price for theming. I also wonder if we have the same definition of "theming". I'm not sure these if these rooms are "themed" or decorated. There is a difference.

In short, the pricing may be high. But it's wholly in line with Disney resort pricing.

And in line with Disney resort pricing usually means grossly overpriced, but with massive discounts throughout most of the year because otherwise the rooms wont sell....

PRNCSAurora

These definitely aren't my style right now. DH and I stayed at ASMovies last summer and I thought it was very tacky. However it is what fit in our budget. That being said, I could see how excited a small child could get in those rooms and at that point in time it would be worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom