A look inside the new Disney Story Room family suites at Disney's Art of Animation

nolatron

The whole thing costs more. The CM did tell me that the LM rooms, although standard rooms, will still be slightly higher than the other Values.

I looked at some of the rates for a standard Pop Century room compared to the Little Mermaid room and there's some seasons where they cost the same (mostly the peak ones) or just a tiny bit more.

Easter April 1-14
Pop Century & LM room - $169.00

Aug 5 – Sept 27
Pop Century - $92
LM Room - $97

Columbus Day Oct 5-7
Pop Century - $125.00
LM Room - $130

Holiday Dec 21-31

Pop Century & LM room - $174.00

Even the suites aren't that much more. Easter Week, for example, is only $50 more for a themed suite.

All Star Music Suite - $365
Finding Nemo, Family Suites – $415

August value season is only about a $30-$50 more as well depending on weekend/weekday rates.

sources:
http://themouseshop.com/resorts/disneys-art-of-animation-resort-2012-room-rates/
http://www.mousesavers.com/allstars2012.html
http://www.mousesavers.com/popcentury2012.html

How many do these suites sleep? Never stayed in one, but I can't believe they are $300-400 a night!! You could get two moderate (adjoining) rooms for cheaper, you'd just be missing the kitchenete. Can anyone explain it to me? :)

WDWmazprty

How many do these suites sleep? Never stayed in one, but I can't believe they are $300-400 a night!! You could get two moderate (adjoining) rooms for cheaper, you'd just be missing the kitchenete. Can anyone explain it to me? :)

I think they sleep 6 if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

nolatron

Suites will accommodate up to 6.

Spacious family suites are designed to comfortably accommodate up to 6 Guests and include:

2 separate bathrooms
A master bedroom
3 separate sleeping areas within the living space, which includes an Inovabed—a generously sized dining or work table that easily transforms into a comfortable bed.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/art-of-animation-resort/

MAF

The Cars room is hideous. Honestly the Cars franchise as a whole just doesn't feel very "Disney" to me at all. :shrug:

DonaldDoleWhip

The Cars room is hideous. Honestly the Cars franchise as a whole just doesn't feel very "Disney" to me at all. :shrug:
Agreed. Compared to the beautiful, colorful worlds of Little Mermaid, Lion King, and Finding Nemo, the Cars suites look like they belong in some old, tacky 60's motel.

MAF

So TLM is the only theme that is going to offer standard rooms? If so, well then I doubt I will ever be staying there either.

toolsnspools

These rooms are built to be a launching point for DVC sales. If you can get customers with young kids into a larger room, you can convince them that the price of DVC is worth it. It worked for me at ASMu. With 3 kids, we held off on taking the WDW trip until they opened the lower cost suites. With 3 young kids, vacationing in a suite is FAR nicer than cramming into a hotel room. No matter how little time you spend there.

Have to agree with toolsnspools.
We only have one child (4), and when we would come back to POP to "unwind" she did not have much room to play at all. Most of the room is bed with a narrow walkway. So a little more room would be nice...but that price still kills me...:brick:

COProgressFan

They have limited their audience. But I suspect they have limited their audience to a subset that is still large enough to fill the place even at the higher price point.

I am guessing. I could be wrong. But the Nickelodeon Suites are very successful and this is clearly modeled on that concept. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone (or even the majority) to be smashingly successful. And I think that will be the case here.

The Nick Suites is a perfect example -- you're right, they aren't meant for everyone but Disney doesn't want to miss out on the specific market they are intended for.

KingdomofDreams

Very kitschy. They'll appeal to the little ones. Imo they missed the mark a bit on the Cars theme though. We're definitely not in their target demographic, but at least it's an attempt to bring more Disney theming and characters into the rooms, which is something they've been lacking, especially at the values.

I admit my idea of theming is more like the new Adventureland and Mickey Suites at the Disneyland Hotel. Lol... not that I can afford them.... but that level of taste and quality would be nice in rooms that would be a bit more affordable for the masses.

MarkTwain

Maybe 10 years ago I would have considered staying there - but not now with two teenagers. I can't say that about any other Disney resort.

Seems like they are really targeting that young family demographic.

How do you know they will be insanely popular? There is a rather significant number of guests (older adults, newlywed couples, conventioneers, families with older children, etc.) who would likely have no interest in staying in rooms that essentially seem to be designed for preschoolers.

Its fine if you have preschoolers and like over the top Disney character designs, but they certainly have limited their audience here, perhaps more than any other resort. Between the decor and the price, there are lots of folks who would never stay here, even with small kids.

And therein lies the problem - these room designs will be alienating in a way no other resort on property currently is. Most kids visiting the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge love the intricate, tropical/rustic theming - as do the adults, if not even moreso for the latter. They are resorts that please just about everyone that walks in through the front door. Here, we see comments of "my kids will love this," or "I guess they targeted the demographic". What happened to targeting everyone?

I think the idea of a family resort is a good one, and it's great that Disney is now finally introducing an affordable way for larger families to stay together in a room. I just which they could do so in a way that wasn't so alienating to some people (aka certain members of the family).

lebeau

And therein lies the problem - these room designs will be alienating in a way no other resort on property currently is. Most kids visiting the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge love the intricate, tropical/rustic theming - as do the adults, if not even moreso for the latter. They are resorts that please just about everyone that walks in through the front door. Here, we see comments of "my kids will love this," or "I guess they targeted the demographic". What happened to targeting everyone?

I think the idea of a family resort is a good one, and it's great that Disney is now finally introducing an affordable way for larger families to stay together in a room. I just which they could do so in a way that wasn't so alienating to some people (aka certain members of the family).

Disney has actually said that they are going to start going after niche markets with specialized rooms because they know they can charge a higher price point for them. They won't appeal to every one. Not every thing has to appeal to every one.

It's the same philiosophy as those fitness suites they are building. Those will appeal to an even smaller (almost microscopic) niche. But that small group will pay a premium for those ammenities. Disney would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to charge more for a room.

Personally, I think the fitness suites are a much bigger gamble than the Art of Animation rooms. AoA looks like money in the bank to me.

lebeau

I wanted to start a new post because I felt a rant coming on.

I get that Disney World is meant to appeal to every one. But I don't understand why so many people around here get so hot and bothered every time Disney builds something that primarily appeals to children. It seems a lot of posters around here want everything to be built for an adult audience and if kids like it, that's great.

This group tends to trot out that old Walt quote that if you target kids, you're dead. But I think they are taking this quote way too literally. Walt build attractions and made movies that appealed primarily to kids. There's nothing wrong with targeting kids. Kids are a big part of Disney's audience and they are the future adults who will want to stay at more adult resorts later in life.

The key is not to target kids exclusively. Right now, Disney World has plenty of resorts that appeal primarily to adults. But it doesn't have much aimed directly at kids. This resort fills a gap. That's why it's being built. Building more rooms exactly like the ones Disney already has too many of would be pointless.

All you child-haters out there, think of it this way. You may never want to stay at AoA, but at least it will pull a lot of families with little kids out of the more adult resorts which are so precious to you.

See, win/win. Now quit your bellyaching!

Pioneer Hall

Disney has actually said that they are going to start going after niche markets with specialized rooms because they know they can charge a higher price point for them. They won't appeal to every one. Not every thing has to appeal to every one.

It's the same philiosophy as those fitness suites they are building. Those will appeal to an even smaller (almost microscopic) niche. But that small group will pay a premium for those ammenities. Disney would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to charge more for a room.

Personally, I think the fitness suites are a much bigger gamble than the Art of Animation rooms. AoA looks like money in the bank to me.

I agree, and I think that when they designed this resort they looked at the Nick Suites down the road which are wildly popular. What I see here is the idea of the value resort being created on a larger scale. Now instead of things being in your face on the outside only, they are moving it into the room. I think that there are going to be families lining up to stay in rooms that are truly themed to some of their favorite movies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

The only problem with this line of thinking is, the fitness suites are going to take up 1 floor of 1 hotel. I think like 10 rooms? That makes it a very different animal.

-

I personally do not like the look of these new rooms. And I was actually pretty excited about the AoA resort. I feel these rooms are a let down. I just got married last summer, so while I do not have kids at the moment, they are not far off. When they announced AoA I thought it sounded like a great place for a family to stay. And my hopes were pretty high. Now, looking at those images, I can not imagine ever staying here. And even if we did stay when the kids were still very young, once they reached 12,13 years old, these kitschy rooms would hold no appeal whatsoever.

I agree with some of the others here, this hotel just seems like the least broadly appealing resort Disney has ever built. And it did not have to be that way. The rooms could have been designed in a way in which it wouldn't feel borderline embarrassing for anyone over 7 to be sleeping in.

And before anyone says it. Yes I know I don't "have" to stay here. So, why am I complaining? I am just stating my opinion. If you disagree thats cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom