A look inside the new Disney Story Room family suites at Disney's Art of Animation

lebeau

I think that $90 is a huge markup on the price for theming. I also wonder if we have the same definition of "theming". I'm not sure these if these rooms are "themed" or decorated. There is a difference.

Sigh. The $90 mark up is for the upgrade to a themed suite. Upgrading from two rooms to a suite will cost you roughly $40 a night. The mark-up for the theme is only $50. Steep, but surely there are those who will be willing to pay it.

Also, I imagine that being newer and not sharing a bus line with the other All-Star Resorts will be plusses in AoA's favor.

They have a very obvious theme. I would call that themed. I doubt many tourists are really going to quibble.

And in line with Disney resort pricing usually means grossly overpriced, but with massive discounts throughout most of the year because otherwise the rooms wont sell....

Agreed. So are you saying they should have priced their brand new resort such that it is a bargain by comparisson to the existing resorts? Cause, that makes no sense at all.

COProgressFan

Agreed. So are you saying they should have priced their brand new resort such that it is a bargain by comparisson to the existing resorts? Cause, that makes no sense at all.

No, just saying that Disney's resort pricing strategy in WDW has been such that rooms simply don't sell without discounts. Guests have been conditioned to receive discounts now, and we all know Disney is never going to actually lower their rates, no matter how out of whack they might be.

It makes comparing room rates hard, because while we can all talk about rates, the majority of guests are not paying rack rate and are getting some kind of discount. (Of course, that is depending on the specific resort and time of year).

lebeau

No, just saying that Disney's resort pricing strategy in WDW has been such that rooms simply don't sell without discounts. Guests have been conditioned to receive discounts now, and we all know Disney is never going to actually lower their rates, no matter how out of whack they might be.

It makes comparing room rates hard, because while we can all talk about rates, the majority of guests are not paying rack rate and are getting some kind of discount. (Of course, that is depending on the specific resort and time of year).

Okay, so how are these any more over priced than any other room on Disney property?

I just don't get why you brought up price to begin with. If you want to say Disney rooms are over-priced and heavily discounted, no one will disagree with you. But what's that got to do with the Art of Animation Resort specifically? It applies to all resorts on property.

njDizFan

Well according to the 3rd quarter data, room occupancy is down 1% to 81% but guests are spending 14% more on their resort accomodations.. So, there must have been less discounts from the previous years totals.

BTW I agree "theming" is not the exact word I would use.

COProgressFan

Okay, so how are these any more over priced than any other room on Disney property?

I just don't get why you brought up price to begin with. If you want to say Disney rooms are over-priced and heavily discounted, no one will disagree with you. But what's that got to do with the Art of Animation Resort specifically? It applies to all resorts on property.

I'm just going to sort of end with this, because there is no need to argue this further.

The rack rate at AoA is very high, as are all Disney resorts. That doesn't tell the whole story though, because of discounts which have become more common in the past few years. Ok, that's the background.

That said, based on the somewhat narrow niche they are trying to fill with this resort, and the fact that is costs more than two standard value resort rooms, it remains to be seen what the market will pay for this type of suite. I believe you and some others have suggested the resort will be a home run, and folks will be banging down the doors to stay there. But it is simply too soon to tell. Given the narrow market they are going for, maybe it will be a huge success, but maybe it won't. Maybe there are tons of folks who love the over the top decor of the rooms, but maybe there are countless others who just can't stomach it no matter what the price.

I just brought up the pricing/discount issues because that will be one way for the Disney going public (that's us) to see how popular the resort is once it opens.

DisneyJoe

That doesn't tell the whole story though, because of discounts which have become more common in the past few years.

As a travel agent selling Disney, I can tell you that the above statement is not true, discounts have been less common, less frequent, and when they do exist, less deep of a discount.

lebeau

I'm just going to sort of end with this, because there is no need to argue this further.

The rack rate at AoA is very high, as are all Disney resorts. That doesn't tell the whole story though, because of discounts which have become more common in the past few years. Ok, that's the background.

That said, based on the somewhat narrow niche they are trying to fill with this resort, and the fact that is costs more than two standard value resort rooms, it remains to be seen what the market will pay for this type of suite. I believe you and some others have suggested the resort will be a home run, and folks will be banging down the doors to stay there. But it is simply too soon to tell. Given the narrow market they are going for, maybe it will be a huge success, but maybe it won't. Maybe there are tons of folks who love the over the top decor of the rooms, but maybe there are countless others who just can't stomach it no matter what the price.

I just brought up the pricing/discount issues because that will be one way for the Disney going public (that's us) to see how popular the resort is once it opens.

I do agree with the last point. We'll be able to tell how successful they are by how heavily discounted they are in comparisson with other Disney resorts.

(I was originally responding to the assertation that the rooms were in some way overpriced. But we seem to agree that they are in line with Disney prices now. So I guess price isn't really an issue going forward.)

All that leaves is a disagreement over how popular the resort will be with guests. Admittedly, both of us are guessing. Neither of us knows for sure.

Since we're guessing, I'm going to guess that you don't have kids of your own. My basis for this assumption is that you seem to be greatly underestimating the size of the audience these rooms will appeal to. Yes, it won't appeal to everyone. But it will (IMHO) appeal to a huge audience all the same.

The kids are going to ask to stay here. And if mom and dad can oblige, they will. They are taking their kids to Disney World. Of course they are going to let them stay in the reasonably priced on-property family suites that are decorated like kiddie crack. It's precisely in line with their reason for going there in the first place.

I could be wrong. If we start seeing these rooms more heavily discounted than the suites at ASM, I'll eat a plate of crow for you. But I am fairly confident I'm right this time.

I guess we'll see.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I do agree with the last point. We'll be able to tell how successful they are by how heavily discounted they are in comparisson with other Disney resorts.

(I was originally responding to the assertation that the rooms were in some way overpriced. But we seem to agree that they are in line with Disney prices now. So I guess price isn't really an issue going forward.)

All that leaves is a disagreement over how popular the resort will be with guests. Admittedly, both of us are guessing. Neither of us knows for sure.

Since we're guessing, I'm going to guess that you don't have kids of your own. My basis for this assumption is that you seem to be greatly underestimating the size of the audience these rooms will appeal to. Yes, it won't appeal to everyone. But it will (IMHO) appeal to a huge audience all the same.

The kids are going to ask to stay here. And if mom and dad can oblige, they will. They are taking their kids to Disney World. Of course they are going to let them stay in the reasonably priced on-property family suites that are decorated like kiddie crack. It's precisely in line with their reason for going there in the first place.

I could be wrong. If we start seeing these rooms more heavily discounted than the suites at ASM, I'll eat a plate of crow for you. But I am fairly confident I'm right this time.

I guess we'll see.

I agree with the general idea that young kids will really like these rooms. But how would a 5 year old even know about them? Let alone make the conscience decision that they want to stay there? Without having an initial appeal to parents, adults, the kiddies will never even know these rooms exist.

devoy1701

I agree with the general idea that young kids will really like these rooms. But how would a 5 year old even know about them? Let alone make the conscience decision that they want to stay there? Without having an initial appeal to parents, adults, the kiddies will never even know these rooms exist.

I was thinking the same thing. How are kids going to know about these or ask to stay here? When kids know they are going to Disney World they aren't thinking about what resort they will be staying at, and as a parent I wouldn't ask for their input on it. I might go "wow, Tommy really loves Lion King so I bet he would love staying in one of these rooms," but I would never go "Tommy, which resort would you like to stay at this year?" because his response would probably be "Disney :confused:".

I don't have a kid, so that is all hypothetical at this point. But I still can't imagine many families actually let the kids do the resort picking. And when they're old enough to actually care, they won't be picking these resorts.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

The initial appeal would be in the theming (regardless of how any of feel personally, these rooms will appeal to families with young children), the size of the suite, the availability of a "kitchenette," and even the pricing. With the resort now taking reservations, soon enough people will view the photos online, and potentially share them with their children. I'm not saying they will allow the kids to make the final call or anything, but there is enough potential there to get people interested....

lebeau

Personally, I sit down and watch the planning video with my kids. We also visit the website. And yes, I ask for their input when planning the trip. Judging from other parents I know, I'm not alone.

Anyone who involves their kids in the process will get a clear message. A lot of kids will want to stay here.

(I can't believe I am actually having this argument...) :brick:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Do you think that I only know that my sons will like something if they specifically tell me?

Parents know what their kids will like and try really hard to do those things even if the kids don't know enough to ask. This ain't rocket science.

jakeman

Do you think that I only know that my sons will like something if they specifically tell me?

Parents know what their kids will like and try really hard to do those things even if the kids don't know enough to ask. This ain't rocket science.
"Boy Timmy sure does love The Lion King."

"Look, a whole room themed to The Lion King, with extra room for our family."

"It's a shame Timmy doesn't have the cognitive reasoning to look for this himself and express his desire to stay there. Guess we'll just stay at All Star."

:lookaroun

MAF

(The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo rooms, that is; Cars looks more appealing simply because it isn't near as tacky).

Wow I couldn't disagree more. The Cars rooms look like you are sleeping in somebody's garage. There's no way in heck you would ever see me staying in one of those hideous rooms.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow I couldn't disagree more. The Cars rooms look like you are sleeping in somebody's garage. There's no way in heck you would ever see me staying in one of those hideous rooms.

Well, that's more space available for families that do want to stay in them....

devoy1701

"Boy Timmy sure does love The Lion King."

"Look, a whole room themed to The Lion King, with extra room for our family."

"It's a shame Timmy doesn't have the cognitive reasoning to look for this himself and express his desire to stay there. Guess we'll just stay at All Star."

:lookaroun

blown out of proportion much? You show something a kid likes and of course they will say "Oh I want to stay there!" But they don't actually care if they stay there or at All Star, or at GF... The only part they actually care about are the parks and the rides and the goodies they'll get and see. They aren't going to sulk their whole trip because their room doesn't have Simba sleeping in a hammock over their bed. While you might make a decision based on what your child likes, I don't buy the whole "my child will want to stay there" idea.

Now there is an exception, but those are the parents who give in to every last think their children want...the kids that put up tantrums and yell back at their parents when things don't go their way. Those parents might make a decision of where to stay based solely on their child's input. There are bigger issues at play there though.

right on.

njDizFan

blown out of proportion much? You show something a kid likes and of course they will say "Oh I want to stay there!" But they don't actually care if they stay there or at All Star, or at GF... The only part they actually care about are the parks and the rides and the goodies they'll get and see. They aren't going to sulk their whole trip because their room doesn't have Simba sleeping in a hammock over their bed. While you might make a decision based on what your child likes, I don't buy the whole "my child will want to stay there" idea.

Now there is an exception, but those are the parents who give in to every last think their children want...the kids that put up tantrums and yell back at their parents when things don't go their way. Those parents might make a decision of where to stay based solely on their child's input. There are bigger issues at play there though.

right on.
I'm somewhere in the middle on this subject. Personally I think the rooms ar pretty tacky and would not be my first choice by any means. but, knowing my daughter loves Ariel and would be pretty excited sleeping in a LM "themed" room, I would definately take it into consideration.

I would not let her choose the resort but knowing she would be really jazzed, that just may sway my opinion. Just like going to CRT, It was overpriced but for a once in a lifetime experience to thrill a young child, that may just be worth it.

Animaniac93-98

As much as the Cars and Nemo rooms don't look so great to me I have to agree with those saying these rooms are a great choice for families with young kids. Especially when Disney picked pretty much the four most popular titles from their catalog for this resort (I'm guessing Toy Story wasn't chosen because of ASMovies).

COProgressFan

I guess we'll see.

OK -- 2 more things.

Yes, I do have kids so your assumptions about that are incorrect.

Second, "decorated like kiddie crack" is a perfect description of these rooms!!:ROFLOL:

MissMorrow

Really don't care for them. It's just too much! Reminds me of a daycare center. But then again I'm not the targeted demographic so........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom