7-9-07: Wand Removal Begins

brianplace

pictures?

<-- also wants better pictures.

Yes, I see the little line thingy in the live webcam... but I won't be really happy until I see some real crane-on-wand action up close.

PigletIsMyCat

<-- also wants better pictures.

Yes, I see the little line thingy in the live webcam... but I won't be really happy until I see some real crane-on-wand action up close.

Ask and ye shall receive. I'm on my way to the Epcot parking lot within the half hour to take pics. I draw the line at actually parking and getting into the park though... your pics will be from the parking lot.

skellington216

My last trip to WDW I brought two friends who had never been before. After a wonderful evening drinking our way around the world, my friends were shocked to hear me ranting on about that darn wand. They though it was cool and could not understand my grievance. I think it means more to those of us who were able to see the sphere before it had the tacky monstrosity clinging to its side. I'm no fan of the hat at MGM either (other than Fantasmic, it seems like more of a MK icon to me) but at least that was put there due to the legal issues with the owners. Don't get me wrong, the Millennium Celebration was great. I had a huge party of my own, with hats and noisemakers, etc. But the next day I didn't change the party hats lettering from '2000' to my name and continue to wear it for the next 7 years.

PS. when it's gone I'm going to have to take a pair of bolt cutters to my Epcot pins and cut the wand off those too, so I can pretend like it never happened. :hammer:

BuzzComplexCM

Original Poster
Glad to see the crane is in place and the work is set to begin. Let's all hope they have a smooth process of removal and that all the workers stay safe!

CoffeeJedi

This is so cool, check this out:
1) go to the camera site
http://www.aws.com/wxcomm/commercial/ccam.asp?sid=LKBNV&siz=l

2) click time lapse, choose Range: 1 day, Resolution: 30 mins or 1 hour

3) click play

You'll see the sky get dark, the wand lights twinkle, then halfway through the night, the top of Spaceship Earth goes completely dark; when the sun comes up the next day, you can see the crane.

Figments Friend

I cannot even begin to describe how happy i have been since this news first broke last week. All weekend i have been celebrating and spreading the great news about the Wand finally going away.

I even had a "Wand Party" over the weekend ...seriously i did! A great time too....

I am absolutely estatic that the Wand will be LONG GONE when Oct 1st arrives and we are all there for our special 25th Anniverary meet up! If you want to learn more about this meet up, just click in blurb below in my signature!

Not only can we celebrate EPCOT's 25th, but we will also get to celebrate post-humourously the Wand's removal!!!

I hope McPhee joins us at the Bash.....he needs to be commended for helping to make this happen.

PigletIsMyCat

First pics of crane + wand!

Here they are... these are from a backstage area....

P7090234.jpg

This is from one of the roads by the parking lots...

P7090236.jpg

These are from in the parking lots (I also saw the tent for next week's salsa sale!!!)

P7090238.jpg

P7090239.jpg

P7090243.jpg

P7090244.jpg

You're welcome. :wave:

Figments Friend

Those photos are a beautiful sight...thanks so much for taking the time to take them, and post them here for us!

For SO LONG now i have dreamed of seeing a crane next to the Wand....ah this truly is the "Year of a Million Dreams"!!!

:)

mprice

Wand coming down day....?

When will the De-Construction of the wand be completed? I'm going in August and I don't wanna see a huge construction wall...

PhilharMagician

Where do they have the crane parked? It almost looks like it is on top of the guest relations bldg, or is there room between Energy & guest relations?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
From the angle, i would say it's in the big plaza south of the wand that would typically lead to Guest Relations. I bet that area is completely closed off.

They could theorheticaly park a large crane in the patch of grass between Energy and Guest relations but they would probably close Guest Relations and the monorail both if they did that.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Just read on another site that by 3am they already had "a couple dozen" of SSE's omnimover vehicles outside the building. So, that answers our question of how easy it is to get them outside the building.

cymbaldiva

Thanks everyone for the photos - I am becoming more and more confident that when I arrive in September I will be greeted by a wand-free SSE :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom