7-9-07: Wand Removal Begins

WeLComeHomE OKW

How much is the ride itself changing? Is it just going to be tidied up and painted etc., or will it actually be changed?

12 April 2007: Major enhancements coming to Spaceship Earth

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (April 11, 2007) -- Inside the Epcot icon, remarkable changes will be taking place over the next several months. A re-imagined Spaceship Earth presented by Siemens will combine the magic of the iconic attraction's time-travel adventure into the past with a new finale which provides guests the opportunity to imagine their futures.

On a trip through time inside the Spaceship Earth attraction, guests discover how each generation of mankind has invented the future for the next generation, and how the spirit of innovation has moved people from the caves to the cosmos.

Enhancements to the time-travel attraction will encompass changes to each of the ride scenes. New show scenes will be added to the attraction's story along with new lighting effects, costumes, set decoration, narration and musical score.

This adventure through time leads ultimately to the very top of Spaceship Earth's geodesic dome, where guests arrive at the present. The time travel adventure will be enhanced through new, interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future.

As guests disembark the time travel experience, they are invited to visit "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow," where interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future.

The space is filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase innovative technologies. Here guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe.

Opening to Epcot guests later this month, the first completed phases of Project Tomorrow will include:

* An illuminated globe measuring 20 feet in diameter that will offer an ever-changing collage of inspirational images that invite guests to imagine the wonders of tomorrow.
* Body Builder, a 3-D game that enables users to assemble a digital human body, simulating the Siemens technology developed to perform remote surgeries.
* Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases motor vehicle accident and avoidance systems developed by Siemens.

With phased renovations occurring through the year, Spaceship Earth's makeover is scheduled to be fully completed in early 2008.

yep, that is whats coming to Spaceship Earth by November.

Chicka-what? Check-Check it. :cool:

kcnole

Oh yes, I'm excited. That does appear to be a wand I see.

070920070825_s.jpg

alanbrai

Just looked out the 11th floor southern window of the Contemporary with my camera, zoomed in on SSE and saw 4 cranes on the eastern side of it. Sorry I do not have pic to show you I forgot my cables at home in CT.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Isn't it ironic that we found permits for every stupid little thing Disney does yet there was no permit for the removal of a major structure like the wand?

I guess the really cool stuff doesn't need permits.
i think merf stated that permits can be held up to around 5-10 business days.

Not to start rumors but I have heard that the wierd purple stuff and gaudy things around the communicore buildings is going to be removed as well. Would be awsome if true!
this would be nice as well.

Just looked out the 11th floor southern window of the Contemporary with my camera, zoomed in on SSE and saw 4 cranes on the eastern side of it. Sorry I do not have pic to show you I forgot my cables at home in CT.
that is unfortunate... no cables

CrashNet

Those shade-making triangle cloth thingies hanging over the promenade area between SSE and the fountain of nations, between the two innoventions buildings.
Oh...well I hope they don't get rid of them. It's hot enough down there already! :lol:

Foolish Mortal

We'll wait while you run out and find some :lol:

jalpcm

I am so excited that the wand will be gone by my vacation at the end of October! I can get a new pictures of SSE without the wand!!

:sohappy: :sohappy:

kcnole

All I have to say is that my faith in wdwmagic posters has been hurt. How can we not have someone inside the park on such a momentus day as this reporting with pictures already. :ROFLOL:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
It's kinda funny, when I was at Epcot last October, I spent quite a bit of time taking pictures of SSE from the (well, the left-hand side as you are leaving), trying to get just the right angle to use the post-show building to block the wand out of my shots! (I am useless with photoshop for editing)

As I have mentioned before, I never really hated the wand, just thought that it overstayed its welcome, and I guess on that night I just wanted a shot of the "old" SSE.

It looks like all I really had to do was wait until my trip this October!!

(in case anyone's interested, here is the product of my effort that night)

352951803108_0_ALB.jpg

kcnole

That's actually a great effort. I tried to do the same thing but my wife didn't quite have the patience with me doing so.

Disney_Freak429

I'm marking this day on my calander lol. I'm sooo thriled that for the 1st when we have to the meet up we wont have to deal with that dang wand for the group photo. Love the Wand Watch awsome stuff. The pic from Tiggerish very well done I couldn't have done a better job myself. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom