7-9-07: Wand Removal Begins

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The removal of the wand is actually a simple process, of course dangers exist but it is still a rather simply process nonetheless. No damage to SSE will ocurr unless there is an accident, which is unlikely due to today's safety protocols, unfortunately even with the methods we use today accidents can and do happen.

I posted how it will most likely come down on page 2 of this thread, which is still an educated guess as there are numerous things about the wand structure itself that I do not know.
So very true,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mTC_1TYufM

BuzzComplexCM

Original Poster
Anyone know how long it will take them to actually take the whole wand down?

If you read around you will notice that the estimates are all different. Disney is saying that it will be done shortly before the 25th Anniversary of Epcot. However others are feeling that it should not take that long.

To be safe, 1-2 months, and that's being pretty safe.

ToTBellHop

If you read around you will notice that the estimates are all different. Disney is saying that it will be done shortly before the 25th Anniversary of Epcot. However others are feeling that it should not take that long.

To be safe, 1-2 months, and that's being pretty safe.
You do realize that construction of the wand began in February of 1999 with a completion in September? If it took that long to construct, it is not at all surprising to me that this deconstruction could last right up until mid- to late-September.

jmvd20

You do realize that construction of the wand began in February of 1999 with a completion in September? If it took that long to construct, it is not at all surprising to me that this deconstruction could last right up until mid- to late-September.

It is much much faster to take down steel than it is to erect it.

When all you need to do is take sections and cut them with a torch it is much easier than carefully placing, and properly welding pieces together.

Wiring alone could have taken a month+ on the wand when it was built, a couple good scrap guys could have every ounce of copper off of that thing in a matter of hours :lookaroun

ToTBellHop

It is much much faster to take down steel than it is to erect it.

When all you need to do is take sections and cut them with a torch it is much easier than carefully placing, and properly welding pieces together.

Wiring alone could have taken a month+ on the wand when it was built, a couple good scrap guys could have every ounce of copper off of that thing in a matter of hours :lookaroun
faster, of course, but I don't think this will be down in a month like some would suggest. My point was that if it took 8 months to construct, it could easily take 2½ months to remove. It's not just a free-for-all. They are very constrained in what they do because they are surrounded by things they could damage.

Champion

faster, of course, but I don't think this will be down in a month like some would suggest. My point was that if it took 8 months to construct, it could easily take 2½ months to remove. It's not just a free-for-all. They are very constrained in what they do because they are surrounded by things they could damage.

And if they are only working while the park is empty, that severely limits the amount of time to work.

jmvd20

I'm the one that has been saying it should/could be completed in a month...

I understand safety concerns and the fact that it is a rather odd position to work in, however once the section over SSE is down the remaining work is very simple.

Then again most of the projects I am given are very time sensitive so I am used to tight deadlines and just getting things done quickly once they start. Even taking into account that they will be working at night I am still hard pressed to find a reason why it will take so long... If I had to guess at this point it is either making sure they have ample time in case unforseen situations arise, or they are including time to re-landscape the area etc...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm the one that has been saying it should/could be completed in a month...

I understand safety concerns and the fact that it is a rather odd position to work in, however once the section over SSE is down the remaining work is very simple.

Then again most of the projects I am given are very time sensitive so I am used to tight deadlines and just getting things done quickly once they start. Even taking into account that they will be working at night I am still hard pressed to find a reason why it will take so long... If I had to guess at this point it is either making sure they have ample time in case unforseen situations arise, or they are including time to re-landscape the area etc...
Just the simple fact that it is Disney is reason enough for it to take so long. They do have quite the reputation for taking their sweet time in all areas of construction. :lol:

I am hoping it does not take so long but I would rather they work until park opening on 10/1/7 and get it done right then wind up with a half rushed hack job.

jmvd20

Just the simple fact that it is Disney is reason enough for it to take so long. They do have quite the reputation for taking their sweet time in all areas of construction. :lol:

I am hoping it does not take so long but I would rather they work until park opening on 10/1/7 and get it done right then wind up with a half rushed hack job.

Very true, I usually forget that things at WDW do seem to take longer than anywhere else... Perhaps it is a side effect of the magic :D

As far as the refurb of SSE goes they can take all the time they need - so long as it is done right!

Spyne

All right then, time to finally post my thoughts on the wand removal.

When I first heard the news, I didn't cry about it nor did I jump for joy. I was like "...Huh, interesting." I've always liked the wand, but I guess this move to remove it and restore Spaceship Earth to it's former glory is the best thing to do. I guess now is as good of a time as ever coinciding with the Spaceship Earth ride being closed for the refurbishments and also getting the wand completely out of there just in time for October 1st for the 25th Anniversary of Epcot.

So just like everybody else here, I'll be keeping close taps on the removal process. It'll be interesting to see Spaceship Earth in it's old look today seeing as I've just gotten so used to the wand. But in closing, it's a hard pill for me to swallow with it going, because my last trip to WDW was during the Millennium Celebration. Farewell wand, rest in yesterland peace.

COProgressFan

Most of that time was spent on the foundation/groundwork though. I was there the first week of July 1999, when the steel structure was just starting to go up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom