7-9-07: Wand Removal Begins

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Here's my final thoughts on both, and I'm done with the topic altogether.

The Wand: I am a Disney park traditionalist, and while I like seeing change/renovations to the parks to keep it fresh with the original vision still intact (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean refurb), I see no purpose in the initial construction of the wand. I don't have any "original" hatred toward it, but share the sentiments it took the sole 'weenie' of EPCOT and just crapped all over it. SSE was majestic in itself and seemed even moreso in its perspective as you walked closer to it, but just seemed half the original size when the Wand was built. Made the original idea behind SSE's design almost meaningless. Everyone knows that's EPCOT; we didn't need a huge billboard advertising it. The wand just seemed out of place, and if it lasted only one year, I'd have no problem...but it just became more of an eyesore as time went by. I'm glad to see it go, but won't say it's the best thing that's EVER happened.

The Attraction: I've always had an appeal to Spaceship Earth. My first vacation to WDW was in 1987, when i was four years old. I only remember two things from that trip: The Haunted Mansion stretch room and the top of SSE and the dramatic music (which, 19 years later I learned was 'Tomorrow's Child'). Every trip we've ever made to EPCOT, I insisted my family ride it. It bored them, but fascinated me. I'll always have an attachment to this attraction and have very high expectations going into this rehab that it will remain close to the original (at least the first half, up to the top), and that the second half will remain, again, true to the original vision of the attraction. I, too, will miss the current narration and score and thought they were brilliant. Still, I have not yet been disappointed with SSE EVER (except the lengthy absence of a postshow), and pray I won't be disappointed in November when it reopens. I can't wait.

Thank you very much, SSE, for years of enjoyment thus far, and I can't wait to see what the future brings.

"Tomorrow's Child...for the future world is born today"

"We now have the ability -- and the responsibility -- to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children, as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth..."

While I also consider myself a traditionalist....it will be interesting to put this in perspective. There are many who have never known Epcot without the wand, just as many have never known Horizons, WoM etc.
They will look at this event as Disney taking something away....
And life goes on!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
"Tomorrow's Child...for the future world is born today"

"We now have the ability -- and the responsibility -- to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children, as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth..."
...and don`t forget "Where have we come from? Where are we going? The answers begin in our past. In the dust in which we were formed, answers recorded on the walls of time...."

Gotta love the jingles in 180top too! How ironic the management proclaimed icon of the whole park had no music of its own.

jmvd20

The wand removal should not take more than a few weeks.

In terms of the "messy" factor of the job - it shouldn't be messy or an eyesore anymore than having a large crane in the parks. Such as the case for Japan, recent ToT roofing project, castle painting, etc...

Of course the removal of the wand will begin with safety perimeter work. Closing walkways underneath the construction area, and anywhere where overhead work will be performed. This site prep work should also include the initial set up of safety protocol inside of the construction perimeter.

Next will be the moment everyone has been waiting for, the crane will arrive most likely along with some additional man lifts to start the removal of the epcot lettering, hand, sparkly stuff, wiring, conduit, lighting equipment and anything other than the steel structure itself.

The final phase will be the removal of the steel structure, once again utilizing a crane and man lifts, cutting torches etc...

The tip of the wand will be the first to go, followed by the section over SSE, and then down to the ground. It would surprise me if they removed the footer for the existing structure. I would imagine they will simply remove the wiring, cap the conduits and leave it in place, perhaps turning it into a permanent memorial for the wand.

This would only leave site clean up, possible replacement of pathways, walkways, and landscaping. Of course the final issue will be the removal of the temporary walls and safety barricades.

Being as this is a simple removal project I would be surprised and somewhat upset if it takes them more than 4 (really should be done in less than 3 weeks) to have the wand removed and the debris cleared from the site. Landscaping work could take longer but if this project does take the full 2 months - somebody needs to be replaced.

BuzzComplexCM

Original Poster
Being as this is a simple removal project I would be surprised and somewhat upset if it takes them more than 4 (really should be done in less than 3 weeks) to have the wand removed and the debris cleared from the site. Landscaping work could take longer but if this project does take the full 2 months - somebody needs to be replaced.

Are they counting the time it takes for the grass to regrow? LOL

brkgnews

So did the WandWatch 2007 thread get removed because of all the in-fighting and the "I'm better than you" crap?

Shame. And I had made all those sweet graphics and everything. :(

BuzzComplexCM

Original Poster
So did the WandWatch 2007 thread get removed because of all the in-fighting and the "I'm better than you" crap?

Shame. And I had made all those sweet graphics and everything. :(

Feel free to share them here. I hope my thread doesn't get shutdown! Let's keep it clean everyone, please!!!

EPCOT.nut

I wish I could have ridden SSE just one more time! :ROFLOL:
Granted I have been on that ride so so so many times, it is OK!
But I will miss it as I do everything that dies or changes, and I also look forward to the new ride.

The wand - OK I've given that opinion quite a few times - I am so happy!
I have a picture of me and my sister in front of SSE with the wand this Feb 2007 - can't wait until next year for us to go back and get a picture without the wand! :D

Mufasa's Pride

I do so hope someone will post pictures....I am curious to know how unattractive the deconstruction will appear. We are leaving in 29 days (yeah!) but I feel a little sad because we will not be able to ride SSE or HM (both Disney classics) and I am imaging an eyesore where an icon should be!

It's our first trip in 11 years and for my kids, their first trip with a functional memory. I know that in the big picture, there is still much beauty, magic, classic attractions and iconic structures.....for me, it helps to be mentally prepared so I think pictures will be very helpful and I would greatly appreciate them.

thanks in advance,
Andrea

Maybe they could construct a giant tarp over SSE with the facade painted onto it......no one would notice the difference! :lookaroun

goofyfan13

For those who can't wait, a preview:
wandGONE.jpg

Excellent job photo shopping, I even like how you can still see the wand reflecting in the water. But excellent picture non-the-less, I can't wait!

no2apprentice

Okay, let's try it again. As soon as I posted the photo, I saw the reflection, even before I saw goofyfan13's post. I deleted the first, so now we'll have both. How...poignant.:D
wandGONE.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Oh, I think you should still show the other one with the reflection still showing the wand.

I'd be like a subliminal message of reflecting on the past.

ToTBellHop

You know--the better message would be to have the Wand still present in the real world, but missing in the reflection...you could even set it to the song "Reflection" from Mulan. Spaceship Earth is wondering when his reflection will show who he is inside.

miles1

The wand removal should not take more than a few weeks.

This would only leave site clean up, possible replacement of pathways, walkways, and landscaping. Of course the final issue will be the removal of the temporary walls and safety barricades.

Perhaps the two month figure includes some time for repairs to the exterior of the geosphere. Also, we are heading into hurricane season- the threat of a good storm could delay things a few days, so maybe they've built in a "fudge factor."

jmvd20

Perhaps the two month figure includes some time for repairs to the exterior of the geosphere. Also, we are heading into hurricane season- the threat of a good storm could delay things a few days, so maybe they've built in a "fudge factor."

Hurricane season coming up is a perfect reason to get it down quickly.

As in any project there would always be a fudge factor but saying 2 months when it *should* take 3-4 weeks is pushing it a little.

Then again we could go with the answer from The Money Pit - always 2 weeks till completion of the project! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom