6/25/13 - The Day Spectro Died... Sorry guys..

PirateFrank

I'm not sure you guys get it.....if half of Spectro is trashed, then all of it is. It's never coming back as half of a parade...what is TDO going to run a promo? I can imagine Stephanie Aswad saying it "now for summer 2013 only, get half off on Spectromagic!" <insert crystal meth addict emoticon here>

So whether you believe everything the op is saying or only 'half' of it....the point is, it's over. It's not coming back unless they're rebuilding it....and who wants to wager whether they do that?

A 40-year old parade with irrelevant characters and creepy carnival music is apparently, good enough....#SMH

GiveMeTheMusic

though I have noticed lately especially in California they just reuse the same day parade as the night parade. Disneyland Paris also scrapped its night parade 'Disney's Fantillusion' last year in favor of Disney Dreams projector show.

Look for the same thing to happen at MK when FOF premieres. DL began showing day parades at night with the Mulan Parade in 1998, while licking its wounds from the Light Magic fiasco. Since then, DL parades have been built with onboard lighting effects to enhance viewing after dark, and it works quite well (Soundsational in particular looks great at night).

That said, DL is getting a new light parade by the 60th and HKDL is getting one as well, which will leave WDW and DLRP the odd ones out. Rumors are that MSEP will be "refurbed" when FOF comes online, but it should be junked.

SoupBone

I have the unfortunate duty of reporting the official death of Spectromagic.. There are 6 'trailer style' dumpsters filled with the crushed remains of the Spectromagic Parade units.. I believe at this point the only surviving unit is Chernobog... Which may only be temporary as they are removing equipment from the unit..

I personally witnessed a forklift being used to crush the pile of rubble down into the dumpsters.. Twisted metal and all... I couldn't believe my eyes.. It was all backstage, so no pictures... I couldn't take pictures anyway... it's like taking photos at a funeral.. this is one of those times where I wish you could 'dislike' my post.

Music surrounds us
Magic around us
Twirling around us
Carousel of light and laughter!

RIP Spectromagic.... I'll miss you, and the sounds of my 3 year old singing along years ago.

I don't know that I've ever used hate and Disney in the same breath, but I truly hate Disney for this. I understand the need to move forward with new projects, but Spectromagic had one of THE BEST soundtracks from all of the shows they've ever created.

My hope is that they at least consider using the music in some way as a tribute to the attraction in the future. Unreal...

wdw71fan

Original Poster
@KevinYee is saying on there that most of the floats are gone, with only a few left. It sounds as if things are sitting right in the middle from what the OP had and others are saying....

While I appreciate the need to confirm and reconfirm on something so sad, I wish I was incorrect... I saw it with my own eyes, and it sucks..

The storage tent when Spectro was stored for the last 3 years is void of any intact float units at this point, it has the dumpsters in it now.. Full of the debris from the demolition...

Chernabog is across the street hanging out in the paintshop area of central shops (next to the ferry dry dock) this is where 2 other units sat for a month while they were stripped before demo.... Everything else is demo'ed.

PolynesianPrincess

This broke my heart a little. SpectroMagic was THE one thing I looked forward to most when I was younger going to Disney. My dream growing up was to perform in Spectro. I even went as far as to audition for a parade performer job when I was 20. Although I made it to the finals, I didn't get called for a job. It was still my dream though. Sitting on the curb, eating a strawberry swirl from Enchanted Grove (which is also no longer offered... why do they keep taking away my favorite things?!? UGH!!) That is Disney to me. I'll miss you Spectro....... :(

PirateFrank

It was never coming back to begin with. The floats were rotted out

Good point..,anyone holding out hope that it is, because they don't believe the op and think the floats are safely backstage is failing to recognize that the floats(if they are even there) are likely not 'seaworthy' anyway....

PirateFrank

While I appreciate the need to confirm and reconfirm on something so sad, I wish I was incorrect... I saw it with my own eyes......

Thanks 71!

I think this site has a viral infection of disbelief. People are so quick to discredit a post of hearsay or rumor, that they fail to allow a little bit of credibility to seep in when someone says "I saw it with my own eyes".

Soarin' Over Pgh

If anyone is in downtown Pittsburgh today, stop by my office. I have the soundtrack playing.

There's not a lot of things worse than seeing something beautiful destroyed... and being powerless to stop it.

On a positive note... we're getting a new parade. Yay?

wdw71fan

Original Poster
When something is loved so much, it's difficult to believe it's gone, no matter what the source is.. So I understand the need to cling to disbelief...
Like I said.. I wish I was lying.. I wish I lived in Indiana, and was making this all up.. But truth is, I live about a mile from the scene of the crime.

wsmith1978

Is there something wrong with me that I am a grown man and wanted to cry when I read this? Oh, Spectro, how I love thee. I will forever fondly remember this parade as the very first thing I witnessed when I walked into the Magic Kingdom for the first time. Truly beautiful. My hopes for a return, along with the floats, are now crushed :(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DLRP canned Fanti for cost which doesn't make sense to me. Fanti even in its DLRP form deserves better!
Fantillusion is mothballed in Paris for ops reasons. It just wouldn't fit safely between park hours (already 11pm every summers night) and Dreams. Given it is still light way past 10pm in DLP meant the parade was rushing through at speed and even sacrificing show stops to clear the hub before Dreams.

bubbles1812

Alas, Spectro, I knew thee well. May you be immortalized on the tube de you forever as you travel to that happy place for destroyed parade floats in the sky...

No be seriously, sad day. I wasnt much impressed with MSEP when I saw it (that stupid ending float especially), but Spectro was a lot of fun.at least considering the state of MSEP, you know they are going to have to do some new things in the relative near term. That parade has only so much life left in it.

alphac2005

I hate parades, but I always loved Spectro. Perhaps it is my own nostalgia. I will miss that music so much as I dream of walking through the Magic Kingdom at night.

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly. There was something enchanting about the music, the lights, the night. The Main Street Electrical Parade never did that for me or any other parade for that matter.

PhotoDave219

No reason to put any stock in what *****/Tom Corless says. That hack puts out more unsubstantiated rumors and lies then any other lifestyler. Case in point, he was one of the biggest pushers about Lucas being in DHS on May the 4th, yet he carries no shame for being completely wrong. On the flip side, when @pheneix and @WDW1974 basically confirmed Lucas plans accelerating for an announcement soon, he takes credit for "calling" it a year ago in a blue sky build out editorial, where he basically says "star wars in DHS, amirite?" Even funnier, he regularly uses the basis of common sense for his arguments, by saying how "it doesn't make sense for Spectro to destroyed." He is clearly if ignorant to the fact that TDO doesn't deal in common sense or is sucking up to Disney for the perks.

Bull(pooh!).

You're wrong. I'll stick up for Tom here. He was one of the few people telling people not to believe the May the 4th rumors. Check his twitter feed from then, I'll wait.

You're confusing him with Rickey Brigante of Inside the magic who did exactly what you describe.

You owe Tom an apology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom