6/25/13 - The Day Spectro Died... Sorry guys..

OFTeric

Let's share some first memories of Spectro:

I had picked up an extra shift on my College Program in 2004, and being a Disneyland kid growing up, I had never seen Spectro Magic. And I picked up a Parade Audience Control shift for spectro. I was stationed at the bridge between the Hub and Liberty Square, and I was so enchanted that night, and I know I didn't work, I watched the parade wide eyed, and was in love.

What infuriates me about the "let it depreciate, and then destroy it" mentality of TDO, is that these actions are from people who either:
1. Have no experience with the product they are selling
2. Have not experienced the product in so long they are completely removed from the reality of the guest experience

Either way these people should not be in charge. If anything the floats were deserving to be preserved for some Florida History museums, and maybe a future "limited time magic"

DougK

This is just so sad. No official announcement, nothing. They just replace it in 2010 and then trash it three years later. I for one was always hoping it would be refurbished or rebuilt and some day we would once again see Spectromagic. But that is not to be apparently. The people in charge of this must be idiots. I wish they cared about WDW as much as we the fans do.

MaryJaneP

I try to apply the saying "Don't be sad it ended, be happy that it happened." Our memories and the music live on. I am nonetheless angry that TDO has squandered SpectroMagic so ruthlessly. Seems like the termites loved the floats too much as well. MSEP seems to have some innate repellent quality.

GLaDOS

More:

@TenParksOneCity: @UltOrlando I asked "spectro is supposedly being dumpstered, confirm/deny?" and got back confirm, apparently also was internal announcement

Tinkerbell 8

After watching the youtube video of the last spectromagic, it made me realize how much I enjoyed that parade, especially the music. I love MSEP, it was the first parade I saw in WDW when I was a kid so I have a soft spot for it, but I am going to miss Spectro. I am hopeful that there is a new nighttime parade in the works that we don't know about to replace MSEP and that we can have a proper end to this part of WDW history, instead of it being broken beyond repair and being tossed in a dumpster. Its sad that it had to end that way, if they just would have kept up on maintaining the floats maybe they could have switched the parades out when one needed to be refurbed so that they didn't end up going years and years without being repaired and we could have avoided all of this, however I see this being a reaccuring thing since MSEP has been back for what, 3 years now and no such thing has happened. :(

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
More:

@TenParksOneCity: @UltOrlando I asked "spectro is supposedly being dumpstered, confirm/deny?" and got back confirm, apparently also was internal announcement
@KevinYee is saying on there that most of the floats are gone, with only a few left. It sounds as if things are sitting right in the middle from what the OP had and others are saying....

IWant2GoNow

This is a true shame. That parade will always be my favorite. My hope, like a lot of others, is that they construct a NEW SpectroMagic to run at night or at least use the same music for a future parade.

That music... that wonderful, triumphant, glorious sounding music... It was the only thing keeping those masked weirdos from being TOO creepy.

aladdin2007

So sad to hear this, I knew it probably wouldnt return but what a horrible demise for it, its the end of an era and proves just how rotten management is. I think once msep is gone there will no longer be a light parade for WDW,,,,Disneyland will get a new nighttime parade however, one is in the design phase now I believe.

AndyS2992

I loved Spectro.. such a shame. However I hope they are currently working on a new night parade to compliment the new day one which will be better than Spectro and MSEP, or if not at least reuse the Spectro music.

Although I have noticed lately especially in California they just reuse the same day parade as the night parade. Disneyland Paris also scrapped its night parade 'Disney's Fantillusion' last year in favor of Disney Dreams projector show.

COProgressFan

What I think is most sad about this is that everyone has to be so sad. The destruction of SpectroMagic should confirm that a new nighttime parade is in the works, and that we're about to see something revolutionary that puts that antiquated parade to shame. It should be an exciting time as we await that parade's debut. Of course, we all know that Spectro's destruction doesn't mean this at all. Which is why everyone is justifiably sad.

I guess my point is that, while I loved SpectroMagic, in a world where Walt Disney World offerings are kept up to date, it should have been scrapped years ago. The most visited theme park in the world should have a nighttime parade that puts Dreamlights to shame.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with WDW management that doesn't see anything wrong with running a parade that's decades old. Because of that, our most logical hope was that they'd refresh SpectroMagic or do a small rebuild and give that back to us.

To me, that's what's most sad about this...

Perfectly stated. Spectro had a good run. The bigger problem is that we all know that MSEP is ancient, crumbling, and frankly quite underwhelming to today's guests. 1971 technology looks no better on MSEP than it does on Peter Pan's Flight. It would be like "Mission to Mars" still playing in Tomorrowland.

But sadly, instead of being excited for a new, bar-raising spectacular on the horizon, we're all quite aware that the WDW company of 2013 will replace Spectro and MSEP with....nothing. (At least for the forseeable future).

That fact should make fans of Spectro, MSEP, and theme parks in general more upset.

After watching the youtube video of the last spectromagic, it made me realize how much I enjoyed that parade, especially the music.
I am also watching the video and appreciating how much thought went into Spectro's creation. The classic Disney tunes were well-integrated with the original Spectro music (e.g., I love that little dash of "When you Wish Upon a Star" used as a transition point), the sizes of the floats varied nicely so you weren't just waiting for the next large float, and the color-to-white-to-color (or in some cases, bright-to-dim-to-bright) tied unrelated segments together. A lovely production all round.

huntzilla

From twitter:

@*****: Just confirmed with a cast member that every Spectromagic float is still sitting in storage...

But then

@TenParksOneCity: @UltOrlando I checked with a trusted, first hand source, and it was confirmed they are gone

No reason to put any stock in what /Tom Corless says. That hack puts out more unsubstantiated rumors and lies then any other lifestyler. Case in point, he was one of the biggest pushers about Lucas being in DHS on May the 4th, yet he carries no shame for being completely wrong. On the flip side, when @pheneix and @WDW1974 basically confirmed Lucas plans accelerating for an announcement soon, he takes credit for "calling" it a year ago in a blue sky build out editorial, where he basically says "star wars in DHS, amirite?" Even funnier, he regularly uses the basis of common sense for his arguments, by saying how "it doesn't make sense for Spectro to destroyed." He is clearly if ignorant to the fact that TDO doesn't deal in common sense or is sucking up to Disney for the perks.

asianway

No reason to put any stock in what *****/Tom Corless says. That hack puts out more unsubstantiated rumors and lies then any other lifestyler. Case in point, he was one of the biggest pushers about Lucas being in DHS on May the 4th, yet he carries no shame for being completely wrong. On the flip side, when @pheneix and @WDW1974 basically confirmed Lucas plans accelerating for an announcement soon, he takes credit for "calling" it a year ago in a blue sky build out editorial, where he basically says "star wars in DHS, amirite?" Even funnier, he regularly uses the basis of common sense for his arguments, by saying how "it doesn't make sense for Spectro to destroyed." He is clearly if ignorant to the fact that TDO doesn't deal in common sense or is sucking up to Disney for the perks.
Is there really any accountability in the bloggo-sphere in Orlando anyway?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom