Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

TrainChasers

but here's the thing, in the service industry there are always people to be hired and let go. Most companies that are generally low wage service industry aren't really worried about the long term work atmosphere simply because they know they won't have a lot of long term front line workers.
But here’s the thing... Disney used to be different. (To an extent). Disney isn’t “most companies” - that’s why we like Disney.

eliza61nyc

Advertisement
There are many companies of all sizes that treat employees with respect and value them. Sorry you have such a terrible boss, employee morale must be really low.
actually it's not, first I'm in the very high paying tech and science field now we do have the normal issues about work life balance. It's a bit hard to compare because it's not a minimum wage type of service sector. I never said I had terrible bosses, my direct supervisor is a brilliant young women who lol values me the way I want to be valued with pay raises, matching stock options and a great health plan but I don't delude myself that the companies bottom line comes first.

eliza61nyc

But here’s the thing... Disney used to be different. (To an extent). Disney isn’t “most companies” - that’s why we like Disney.
many companies USED to be different. remember pensions?? how many companies used to give their employees pensions?

Don't you remember the old saying about getting a job with a good company and working there 30 years and then getting a gold watch?
Does anyone still think like that (outside of government jobs that still give pensions)?

now again, I can't speak to Disney's golden age because unfortunately I didn't begin going until after that but these complaints are not exclusive to Disney, you pretty much hear them often in many service industry type arena's .

Last edited:

crispy

Not picking on you alone crispy but these responses do make me question where people work?? Every one acts a bit surprised that companies act this way. Lol I've only ever worked for major Corp, mainly in the science arena and yes I'm fully aware that I am simply a number. I've been at DuPont, Dow, Sunoco oil and two other worldwide corps.
My CEO recently told us and I'm quoting. " My first responsibility is to make this company profitable and sustainable by whatever means necessary including cutting staff".
Companies are not non profit organizations there to make their employees feel warm and fuzzy. That ship sailed 40 years ago

If Disney could run their parks with 5 humans and 100k robots that's what they would do.
I think we are in complete agreement. I was just pointing out that those 28,000 were likely going to be cut at some point anyway, but the pandemic allows it to happen in one fell swoop. Disney isn't a charity and paying unneeded employees isn't going to fly with shareholders.

That being said, for the last 15+ years Disney has cut so many people that made their parks great and that is just sad. As wannabebelle pointed out, the cast members are the product to a large degree. For me personally, what was once a yearly "must-do" for my family has become a "whatever." The "Disney difference" has been slowly corroded over the years.

I can understand their reasoning for the staffing cuts while also giving them the side-eye for cutting everything to the bone for years while making record profits. The two sentiments are not mutually exclusive especially since the continue to charge outrageous prices for a deeply diminished experience.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

many companies USED to be different. remember pensions?? how many companies used to give their employees pensions?

Don't you remember the old saying about getting a job with a good company and working there 30 years and then getting a gold watch?
Does anyone still think like that (outside of government jobs that still give pensions)?

now again, I can't speak to Disney's golden age because unfortunately I didn't begin going until after that but these complaints are not exclusive to Disney, you pretty much hear them often in many service industry type arena's .
There is still companies like that out there. I work for on me with a great pension and they give their employees a big bonus for working 25 years.

TrainChasers

Both known as gig jobs... and people know they roll contract to contract.
Yeah. The 30+ year entertainers had a gig job. Lol.

A gig is getting hired to play the Christmas party like the acapella group at Tomorrowland. You don’t lay people off that are working a gig.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah. The 30+ year entertainers had a gig job. Lol.

A gig is getting hired to play the Christmas party like the acapella group at Tomorrowland. You don’t lay people off that are working a gig.

Many of those simply kept the chain going by moving from gig to gig. (Getting cast for a new show, getting on the crew, etc).

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean in that case Tom Hanks is working gig jobs. And major league ball players as well. Feel free to define the terms as you like.

They do... I can’t help that you bring your own distortions and biases to things. These roles are largely contract based... and they all know there is no such thing as a guaranteed spot or beach time. Their show ends, or their job finishes, and they know they are rotating out unless they find a new chair to sit in.

It’s what the industry is and people know it and make the choice to live within it.

For every tom hanks there are thousands of actors that stop acting for the lack of consistent work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you work in the live entertainment industry?

I do. I know the difference between being hired for a gig and being hired full time. They aren’t the same thing.

No job on the planet comes with a guarantee.

Im sorry you are hanging your whole argument on insisting “gig” meaning a singular event instead of what everyone knows the conversation is about. “Their show ends, or their job finishes, and they know they are rotating out unless they find a new chair to sit in.”

TrainChasers

Im sorry you are hanging your whole argument on insisting “gig” meaning a singular event instead of what everyone knows the conversation is about. “Their show ends, or their job finishes, and they know they are rotating out unless they find a new chair to sit in.”
I don’t even know what point you are trying to make. That all wdw employees should have expected to be laid off despite their 20-30+ years with the company?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom