Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

eliza61nyc

But here’s the thing... Disney used to be different. (To an extent). Disney isn’t “most companies” - that’s why we like Disney.
many companies USED to be different. remember pensions?? how many companies used to give their employees pensions?

Don't you remember the old saying about getting a job with a good company and working there 30 years and then getting a gold watch?
Does anyone still think like that (outside of government jobs that still give pensions)?

now again, I can't speak to Disney's golden age because unfortunately I didn't begin going until after that but these complaints are not exclusive to Disney, you pretty much hear them often in many service industry type arena's .

Last edited:

crispy

Not picking on you alone crispy but these responses do make me question where people work?? Every one acts a bit surprised that companies act this way. Lol I've only ever worked for major Corp, mainly in the science arena and yes I'm fully aware that I am simply a number. I've been at DuPont, Dow, Sunoco oil and two other worldwide corps.
My CEO recently told us and I'm quoting. " My first responsibility is to make this company profitable and sustainable by whatever means necessary including cutting staff".
Companies are not non profit organizations there to make their employees feel warm and fuzzy. That ship sailed 40 years ago

If Disney could run their parks with 5 humans and 100k robots that's what they would do.
I think we are in complete agreement. I was just pointing out that those 28,000 were likely going to be cut at some point anyway, but the pandemic allows it to happen in one fell swoop. Disney isn't a charity and paying unneeded employees isn't going to fly with shareholders.

That being said, for the last 15+ years Disney has cut so many people that made their parks great and that is just sad. As wannabebelle pointed out, the cast members are the product to a large degree. For me personally, what was once a yearly "must-do" for my family has become a "whatever." The "Disney difference" has been slowly corroded over the years.

I can understand their reasoning for the staffing cuts while also giving them the side-eye for cutting everything to the bone for years while making record profits. The two sentiments are not mutually exclusive especially since the continue to charge outrageous prices for a deeply diminished experience.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

many companies USED to be different. remember pensions?? how many companies used to give their employees pensions?

Don't you remember the old saying about getting a job with a good company and working there 30 years and then getting a gold watch?
Does anyone still think like that (outside of government jobs that still give pensions)?

now again, I can't speak to Disney's golden age because unfortunately I didn't begin going until after that but these complaints are not exclusive to Disney, you pretty much hear them often in many service industry type arena's .
There is still companies like that out there. I work for on me with a great pension and they give their employees a big bonus for working 25 years.

TrainsOfDisney

Both known as gig jobs... and people know they roll contract to contract.
Yeah. The 30+ year entertainers had a gig job. Lol.

A gig is getting hired to play the Christmas party like the acapella group at Tomorrowland. You don’t lay people off that are working a gig.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah. The 30+ year entertainers had a gig job. Lol.

A gig is getting hired to play the Christmas party like the acapella group at Tomorrowland. You don’t lay people off that are working a gig.

Many of those simply kept the chain going by moving from gig to gig. (Getting cast for a new show, getting on the crew, etc).

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean in that case Tom Hanks is working gig jobs. And major league ball players as well. Feel free to define the terms as you like.

They do... I can’t help that you bring your own distortions and biases to things. These roles are largely contract based... and they all know there is no such thing as a guaranteed spot or beach time. Their show ends, or their job finishes, and they know they are rotating out unless they find a new chair to sit in.

It’s what the industry is and people know it and make the choice to live within it.

For every tom hanks there are thousands of actors that stop acting for the lack of consistent work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you work in the live entertainment industry?

I do. I know the difference between being hired for a gig and being hired full time. They aren’t the same thing.

No job on the planet comes with a guarantee.

Im sorry you are hanging your whole argument on insisting “gig” meaning a singular event instead of what everyone knows the conversation is about. “Their show ends, or their job finishes, and they know they are rotating out unless they find a new chair to sit in.”

TrainsOfDisney

Im sorry you are hanging your whole argument on insisting “gig” meaning a singular event instead of what everyone knows the conversation is about. “Their show ends, or their job finishes, and they know they are rotating out unless they find a new chair to sit in.”
I don’t even know what point you are trying to make. That all wdw employees should have expected to be laid off despite their 20-30+ years with the company?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t even know what point you are trying to make. That all wdw employees should have expected to be laid off despite their 20-30+ years with the company?

That people in the roles mentioned are used to fluidity in the roles and job outlook.

And anyone who looks at your number of years as some impervious job shield is bound to get blindsided some day (unless you are in a union with seniority ranking). You should always look at your position as based on what value you are able to deliver now and to where the company is headed. Else you’ll be like the film developer at Kodak and jobless regardless of how long and how great you did your old job.

wannabeBelle

I have spoken with a few friends in Entertainment and they realize that this is a contract type of employment and they can be terminated once the contract is up. That isnt in question. The question that is being discussed is that are all of the layoffs necessary given some other financial decisions made by Disney and is it in the best interest of the company to do that, for multiple reasons.
For example, Off Kilter has a large following and that is still true. Not long ago they did a live stream event that had over 800 people logged in to see them. Not too shabby for a band who was let go from Disney 6 years ago. Would they be an asset to the company if they were re-hired? I would tend to think so and I think I would be more likely to plan a trip to see them than any of the executives that just had their pay restored to pre-pandemic seven figure levels. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom