11 Night Mediterranean Cruise – Mouse style!

11 nights in the Mediterranean!! With the Mouse!!:sohappy:

I got a last minute travel agent special too great to pass up! Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Disney cruises. This was my fifth! When this deal came out, I was scrambling to make it work.

Dh couldn’t get off work for two weeks, but he was beyond sweet and told me to go ahead! I knew the kids would love it too, but there was no way Ds15 could miss two weeks of high school. Dd12 however, no problem! I talked to Ds who insisted he could go at first. After a week passed, I decided to talk to him again.

The conversation went like this –

“So, about this cruise…” – Me
“Mmhmm” – Him
“You know there’s no way you can miss two weeks of school, don’t you?” –Me
“Yeah, I know.” – Him
“So you won’t be bitter if I go?” – Me, sounding hopeful
“No, I guess not.” – Him
“Would you be bitter if I took your sister?” – Me
After an eternal silence – “No, but you’re going to have to buy me off.” – Him (obviously my child):lookaroun

Now, who else to bring? My parents were tempted, but Mom felt like it was someone else’s turn since she took advantage of the last travel agent special cruise with me. I started talking to friends, and one, Debbie, didn’t hesitate, she was in! She didn’t mind taking her dd14 out of school for this kind of opportunity. And bonus, she has a ds17 who could commiserate with my ds15 while we were gone. We talked to the girl’s teachers and got the green light. Woo hoo!

My parents were still toying around with going. I checked the military specials and there was a great one. They got a category 5, verandah, for an 11 night cruise for $2300. Total. For two people. :eek: Pretty amazing!
I realized my in-laws wouldn’t want to pass that up either, so they booked a verandah too.

Here we all are. These photos are your teasers for different parts of the trip!

Dd and I:
2MedCruiseMalta119.jpg

Debbie and her dd:
3MedCruise017.jpg

My parents:
5MedCruise102.jpg

My inlaws:
7MedCruise274.jpg

The scene was set, we were ready to plan! And we only had about 6 weeks to do it!

About three weeks before the cruise, we got our room assignment. A verandah!! I couldn’t believe it! With all of my cruises, we’d never splurged for one before. We’ve always been happy enough with our portholes. I was crazy excited to try a verandah, though. What a perfect cruise to have one on!:sohappy:

About a week before we left, the Icelandic volcano started to erupt, shutting down European airspace for days. We were flying directly into Barcelona, which thankfully wasn’t immediately shut down. I was pretty worried we weren’t going to make it, and incredibly thankful we purchased trip insurance. I DID NOT want to use it, but it sure provided some piece of mind.

I have to tell you, of all the reasons I thought we might have to use our trip insurance, illness, flight delays, etc., a volcano in Iceland never crossed my mind!:lol:

I had also devised about 13 alternate plans to get there, including – flying into Madrid if it was still open, flying anywhere in Europe we could get to, flying into Morocco and taking the train/ferry/train to Barcelona, and meeting the cruise at any port we could get to.

Well, thankfully, about two days before we left, everything started to open again. Woo hoo, indeed!

After several days spent researching ports and excursions, little bit of shopping, and lots of packing, the big day had finally arrived!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
There was a McDonalds there, and we stopped to use the facilities and get some cokes. The McDonalds was super nice.

5MedCruise124_filtered.jpg

We were fascinated by the kiwis on a stick that they sold.

5MedCruise125.jpg

We wandered some more:

5MedCruise119.jpg

5MedCruise118.jpg

5MedCruise122.jpg

Finally, we caught the metro back to the train station. Our train broke before we left the station, but a friendly local told us where to go. The public transportation in Rome was great. It was inexpensive, clean, and easy to use.

5MedCruise131.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Look who we ran into when we got back to the ship!

5MedCruise135.jpg

5MedCruise137.jpg

We were very late for dinner but when we were boarding they told us to go on up. It’s remarkable how well the servers go with the flow.

There weren’t any big shows scheduled for tonight. I’m sure Disney knew that most people would be getting back very late.

The girls went to see Alice and Wonderland in 3D and the moms went to the hot tub.

All aboard time was 9:00. About 9:05 they started making announcements looking for 3 families. Apparently some people were really late!:eek:

By 9:15 they were only looking for 2 people.

When I got back to the room, I went out on the verandah to see if I saw anyone. I wasn’t the only one, I could see lots of people on their verandahs watching. Sure enough, there were two ladies on the dock. We were pulling away and they were waving for us to stop.:lol:

Amazingly enough, we pulled back in! They lowered a gangway and the girls walked on. When they took their first steps, the whole side of the ship erupted in applause and cheers. It was so funny!

Tomorrow is Pisa! I'm sorry this is becoming such a crazy long report!:lookaroun

disneygirl1

Oh Tammy... I am absolutely loving this report!!! Have very awesome that you were able to experience this!!! As always your pictures are great!!! Can't wait to read more!

Coree

Well, you've confirmed my desire to see Rome. I think if I had to choose one European city to visit in my lifetime that would be it. The pics are beautiful and you showed remarkable restraint not to take a photo in the Sistine Chapel.

I'm impressed how much you all just went around on your own. I think I'd feel like I had to do an excursion at every stop or I'd get lost or something.

HollyBelle

Tomorrow is Pisa! I'm sorry this is becoming such a crazy long report!:lookaroun

No, no, no... not too long at all. Stretch it out and include as many pictures as your heart desires. Seriously! I'm loving this review. Rome is fascinating.

Love this shot... the photo caption should totally be "World Traveler!" :sohappy:

Look who we ran into when we got back to the ship!

5MedCruise135.jpg

Love it!! The girls both have such genuine smiles here! Of course, why wouldn't they?!

ETA: Oh yeah, and I second Coree... I'm very impressed with how you all went off on your own everywhere. The experience has to be more authentic that way, which is probably worth the extra bit of stress.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Oh Tammy... I am absolutely loving this report!!! Have very awesome that you were able to experience this!!! As always your pictures are great!!! Can't wait to read more!

Thank you disneygirl! Thanks for reading all of this!:)

Well, you've confirmed my desire to see Rome. I think if I had to choose one European city to visit in my lifetime that would be it. The pics are beautiful and you showed remarkable restraint not to take a photo in the Sistine Chapel.

I'm impressed how much you all just went around on your own. I think I'd feel like I had to do an excursion at every stop or I'd get lost or something.

When we were in a different part of the Vatican we were shushed by some people who were trying to be respectful of the experience. It reminded me that it wasn't simply a tourist attraction for many people, so I remembered that in the Sistine Chapel.

No, no, no... not too long at all. Stretch it out and include as many pictures as your heart desires. Seriously! I'm loving this review. Rome is fascinating.

Love this shot... the photo caption should totally be "World Traveler!" :sohappy:

Love it!! The girls both have such genuine smiles here! Of course, why wouldn't they?!

ETA: Oh yeah, and I second Coree... I'm very impressed with how you all went off on your own everywhere. The experience has to be more authentic that way, which is probably worth the extra bit of stress.

It's always so fun to get back to the ship and see Mickey waiting for you!:sohappy:

Going on our own turned out well. We were really just trying to save money. The cost difference with Med excursions vs. going on our own was huge! In retrospect, I probably would have taken an excursion in Tunisia just for peace of mind, but everywhere else was fairly easy to do. In Rome especially, we just got to see so much of it! Authentic is definitely how I would describe it.:)

cdunbar

Going on our own turned out well. We were really just trying to save money. The cost difference with Med excursions vs. going on our own was huge! In retrospect, I probably would have taken an excursion in Tunisia just for peace of mind, but everywhere else was fairly easy to do. In Rome especially, we just got to see so much of it! Authentic is definitely how I would describe it.:)
I too noticed the prices for the excursions, with as many as you had in your party it could add up rather quickly.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I too noticed the prices for the excursions, with as many as you had in your party it could add up rather quickly.

Very quickly! For Disney to get us to Rome and back (Rome on your own) , it would have been $99 a person. My inlaws paid $250 each for their tour. We got there and back for about $12 each. And that included all metro and bus rides that day. The Disney excursions definitely give you peace of mind, and sometimes that's worth it for sure. For us, however, this was a last minute cruise with last minute funding!:lol:

You'll see in almost every picture my Dad's white head in the front with a map. I'm a good map reader and I have a good sense of direction, but it was great just to follow someone and take pictures. Most tour groups followed a person holding up an umbrella, a Mickey head, or something else. We just looked for the white head!:eek::lol:

All I can say is WOW :D
These are awesome pictures and what a great experience for you and your family. After reading your report and seeing these pics, this is something I definately want to do. Thanks for posting.

cdunbar

Very quickly! For Disney to get us to Rome and back (Rome on your own) , it would have been $99 a person. My inlaws paid $250 each for their tour. We got there and back for about $12 each. And that included all metro and bus rides that day. The Disney excursions definitely give you peace of mind, and sometimes that's worth it for sure. For us, however, this was a last minute cruise with last minute funding!:lol:

You'll see in almost every picture my Dad's white head in the front with a map. I'm a good map reader and I have a good sense of direction, but it was great just to follow someone and take pictures. Most tour groups followed a person holding up an umbrella, a Mickey head, or something else. We just looked for the white head!:eek::lol:
Wow, $500 bucks for a day! I couldn't swing that!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
All I can say is WOW :D
These are awesome pictures and what a great experience for you and your family. After reading your report and seeing these pics, this is something I definately want to do. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for reading LovingDisney!:)

Wow, $500 bucks for a day! I couldn't swing that!

I know! And there are some that are much more. But it was the right decision for them. My Mil's knees were giving out, and she could not have walked as much as we did that day. They got to sit on a tour bus, learn things from a guide and eat lunch with everyone. It was perfect for them.

cdunbar

I know! And there are some that are much more. But it was the right decision for them. My Mil's knees were giving out, and she could not have walked as much as we did that day. They got to sit on a tour bus, learn things from a guide and eat lunch with everyone. It was perfect for them.
Well it most certainly made sense for them then because they too got to experience what they wanted to and she was in horrible pain because of it. :)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Well it most certainly made sense for them then because they too got to experience what they wanted to and she was in horrible pain because of it. :)

Yes, they were not even going to try to get off at first, but I convinced them they could not miss Rome and they should take a tour.

Jasmine89

What an amazing trip!! You have just increased my desire to go on a cruise and to Italy at the same time! Just wish I had that cash though. Oh well that's the life of a poor college student.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
The pictures from Rome are fabulous! What a once in a lifetime trip! :sohappy:

It really was, Jenn!:sohappy:

What an amazing trip!! You have just increased my desire to go on a cruise and to Italy at the same time! Just wish I had that cash though. Oh well that's the life of a poor college student.

You won't be a poor college student forever, Jasmine!:)

tiaragirl

I'm legit sitting here bawling remembering my trip to Europe in grade 11 (3 years ago? Ugh, I'm so old!). Your pictures are SO much better than mine were, haha. Thank you for this =)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I'm legit sitting here bawling remembering my trip to Europe in grade 11 (3 years ago? Ugh, I'm so old!). Your pictures are SO much better than mine were, haha. Thank you for this =)

Ahhh! I'm so glad I could help you reminisce!! :) You old woman, you!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom