11 Night Mediterranean Cruise – Mouse style!

11 nights in the Mediterranean!! With the Mouse!!:sohappy:

I got a last minute travel agent special too great to pass up! Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Disney cruises. This was my fifth! When this deal came out, I was scrambling to make it work.

Dh couldn’t get off work for two weeks, but he was beyond sweet and told me to go ahead! I knew the kids would love it too, but there was no way Ds15 could miss two weeks of high school. Dd12 however, no problem! I talked to Ds who insisted he could go at first. After a week passed, I decided to talk to him again.

The conversation went like this –

“So, about this cruise…” – Me
“Mmhmm” – Him
“You know there’s no way you can miss two weeks of school, don’t you?” –Me
“Yeah, I know.” – Him
“So you won’t be bitter if I go?” – Me, sounding hopeful
“No, I guess not.” – Him
“Would you be bitter if I took your sister?” – Me
After an eternal silence – “No, but you’re going to have to buy me off.” – Him (obviously my child):lookaroun

Now, who else to bring? My parents were tempted, but Mom felt like it was someone else’s turn since she took advantage of the last travel agent special cruise with me. I started talking to friends, and one, Debbie, didn’t hesitate, she was in! She didn’t mind taking her dd14 out of school for this kind of opportunity. And bonus, she has a ds17 who could commiserate with my ds15 while we were gone. We talked to the girl’s teachers and got the green light. Woo hoo!

My parents were still toying around with going. I checked the military specials and there was a great one. They got a category 5, verandah, for an 11 night cruise for $2300. Total. For two people. :eek: Pretty amazing!
I realized my in-laws wouldn’t want to pass that up either, so they booked a verandah too.

Here we all are. These photos are your teasers for different parts of the trip!

Dd and I:
2MedCruiseMalta119.jpg

Debbie and her dd:
3MedCruise017.jpg

My parents:
5MedCruise102.jpg

My inlaws:
7MedCruise274.jpg

The scene was set, we were ready to plan! And we only had about 6 weeks to do it!

About three weeks before the cruise, we got our room assignment. A verandah!! I couldn’t believe it! With all of my cruises, we’d never splurged for one before. We’ve always been happy enough with our portholes. I was crazy excited to try a verandah, though. What a perfect cruise to have one on!:sohappy:

About a week before we left, the Icelandic volcano started to erupt, shutting down European airspace for days. We were flying directly into Barcelona, which thankfully wasn’t immediately shut down. I was pretty worried we weren’t going to make it, and incredibly thankful we purchased trip insurance. I DID NOT want to use it, but it sure provided some piece of mind.

I have to tell you, of all the reasons I thought we might have to use our trip insurance, illness, flight delays, etc., a volcano in Iceland never crossed my mind!:lol:

I had also devised about 13 alternate plans to get there, including – flying into Madrid if it was still open, flying anywhere in Europe we could get to, flying into Morocco and taking the train/ferry/train to Barcelona, and meeting the cruise at any port we could get to.

Well, thankfully, about two days before we left, everything started to open again. Woo hoo, indeed!

After several days spent researching ports and excursions, little bit of shopping, and lots of packing, the big day had finally arrived!

HollyBelle

Tammy, I'm so glad the two of you made it to breakfast... I would have been very disappointed to hear that you'd missed such an opportunity for character photos. :lol: Again, loving Donald and Daisy... swoooooon!

disneygirl1

Gosh Tammy!!! I WANT to do a cruise even worst now that I am reading this!!! P.S. I think I say this every time I read one of your cruise reports! :ROFLOL:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Tammy, I'm so glad the two of you made it to breakfast... I would have been very disappointed to hear that you'd missed such an opportunity for character photos. :lol: Again, loving Donald and Daisy... swoooooon!

I was tired and I was tempted to sleep in, but I figured, hey, I'm on a cruise. I can sleep when I'm dead.:lol:

Aren't Donald and Daisy so cute?

Gosh Tammy!!! I WANT to do a cruise even worst now that I am reading this!!! P.S. I think I say this every time I read one of your cruise reports! :ROFLOL:

One of these days you'll give in!!:lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Sunday, May 2, Day 11 – Corsica

We had church services again and then headed off the ship. About two minutes after we started walking, it started sprinkling. We walked through the market, made some purchases and then got back on board. I didn’t get many pictures today because of the rain. :(

6MedCruise176_filtered.jpg

7MedCruise8.jpg

Not sure about the grammar on this sign::lookaroun

65MedCruise.jpg

We ate lunch, got our umbrellas and walked off again. I didn’t want to risk getting my camera wet so I left it. While we were out, I remembered my waterproof camera sitting in my dry stateroom. :rolleyes: The town was really pretty. It’s the birthplace of Napoleon, so there were monuments to him all over.

7MedCruise3.jpg

7MedCruise7.jpg

When we got back on we went to see The Last Song. I’d read the book, which was certainly better, but it was still good. Total tearjerker, we all cried. A lot. At least the baby sea turtles made it through this movie.:)

After the movie it was time for ice cream!:sohappy:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
The girl’s went swimming again. There was a pool party going on!

7MedCruise10.jpg

7MedCruise14.jpg

After dinner, the show was another special one for the Med. It was a tribute to Walt Disney. It was excellent. I think I cried again.

Finally, back to bed again. Our towel animal was ginormous tonight! It took up a whole bed!

7MedCruise20_filtered.jpg

Next up is Villefranche, Monte Carlo and Nice!

Nicole220

sounds like tons of fun for a day at sea! i wanted to see some napkin hats on you though. :wave:
I was gonna ask where the pics of Tammy and her hat were. :lol:

When we got back on we went to see The Last Song. I’d read the book, which was certainly better, but it was still good. Total tearjerker, we all cried. A lot. At least the baby sea turtles made it through this movie.:)
That movie made me cry like no other...

After the movie it was time for ice cream!:sohappy:
One of my favorite parts of cruising! :slurp:

I never realized how tall camels were...must've been scary to be up that high!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I was gonna ask where the pics of Tammy and her hat were. :lol:

That movie made me cry like no other...

One of my favorite parts of cruising! :slurp:

I never realized how tall camels were...must've been scary to be up that high!

Sorry, no hat picture.:lol:
I'm glad it wasn't just me! I read the book, knew it was going to happen, and just sobbed!
IT was a crazy tall camel!

mouselvrmom

I LOVE Ally's sweathshirt on your character breakfast! :D And I like how you even got to get in for a shot!

I agree with Holly, the spiffed up Donald and Daisy are fabulous!

I can't believe you didn't think of your waterproof camera in the room. :lol: Oh, well, you have so many great photos already. Can't wait to see more!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I LOVE Ally's sweathshirt on your character breakfast! :D And I like how you even got to get in for a shot!

I agree with Holly, the spiffed up Donald and Daisy are fabulous!

I can't believe you didn't think of your waterproof camera in the room. :lol: Oh, well, you have so many great photos already. Can't wait to see more!

I know!:lol: Amusingly when we were down on the beach sticking our toes in the Med, someone asked me to take a picture of their family. She handed me the exact waterproof camera I had in the room.:brick:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Monday, May 3rd, Day 12 – Monaco and Nice

Okay, just to warn you, I took about a million pictures today. :lookaroun I can’t believe I took that many, because when we got to the train station, I realized my battery was low. I was really conservative about what I took!

I was really taken with the beauty of Monte Carlo. Look at this city. It’s amazing!

7MedCruise86.jpg

After breakfast at Topsiders, we ordered some Big Island Cookies :D from room service to get us through the day. We tendered off into Villefranche, and man, that tender was rocking! Even the Magic was rolling a bit.

7MedCruise29.jpg

7MedCruise30.jpg

7MedCruise33.jpg

7MedCruise34.jpg

7MedCruise39.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We walked through the edge of VilleFranche which was beautiful too!

7MedCruise43.jpg

7MedCruise46.jpg

7MedCruise50.jpg

7MedCruise54.jpg

7MedCruise56.jpg

7MedCruise61.jpg

We went to the train station and went to Monte Carlo.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
The train station is at the top of the town which is built into the side of the cliffs. We started the walk down through the town with me snapping pictures the whole way.

7MedCruise65.jpg

7MedCruise65.jpg

7MedCruise67.jpg

Every so often we would come across a public elevator in the middle of the sidewalk that would drop us several levels. Genius!

7MedCruise85.jpg

7MedCruise79.jpg

They were setting up for the Grand Prix:

7MedCruise75.jpg

We walked to the palace stopping for snacks on the way. French bread in France!

7MedCruise73.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
7MedCruise70.jpg

7MedCruise111.jpg

Then we waited for the changing of the guard which was very neat.

7MedCruise101.jpg

7MedCruise102.jpg

7MedCruise99.jpg

Afterwards we walked back up, and took the train to Nice. Here’s the Monte Carlo train station:

7MedCruise112_filtered.jpg

Nice wasn’t as striking as Monaco, but still pretty. We found a little restaurant that had excellent pizza, and ice cold cokes! In a bottle! Woo hoo!:sohappy:

7MedCruise114_filtered.jpg

7MedCruise119.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We walked down to the enormous stretch of sand to put our feet in the Mediterranean:

7MedCruise121.jpg

7MedCruise122.jpg

Then we walked back to another train station. We tendered back to the ship and got ready for dinner at Palo.

Palo is amazing, my favorite by far. It’s a do not miss on the cruise. My mother in law wasn’t feeling well, so unfortunately she did miss it:

7MedCruise132.jpg

The show tonight was a crew talent show. It wasn’t the entertainment people, it was the room stewards, the kid’s club workers, the engine room guys, etc. A couple of acts felt like an elementary school talent show:lol:, but some of them were very entertaining.

Tonight was the midnight dessert buffet, but after a huge dinner at Palo, there was no way.

We weren’t even sure what tonight’s animal was. A dinosaur? Loch Ness Monster? It was cool no matter what.

7MedCruise137_filtered.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Tuesday, May 4th, Day 13 – Last day :cry: And what a day it was!

Today we woke up to a bit of rocking. The TV said the waves were 4-8 feet. I showered and got dressed while everyone else in the room slept. I took some pictures on our verandah. This is only 4-8 feet:

7MedCruise138.jpg

7MedCruise139.jpg

7MedCruise141.jpg

After I got ready, I answered some emails and realized I wasn’t feeling great. I checked the TV again and the waves were up to 15-20 feet!:eek: We were moving!

I knew I needed to try to get some air, so I went up on deck and got a croissant and coke. I couldn’t eat the croissant, but the coke helped. The kid pools were closed, but there were some men in the adult pool that had become an incredible wave pool. I was really wishing for my camera, but I didn’t think I could make it to the room and back.:eek:

I met Debbie for the last cooking class, but after about 10 minutes I knew I wasn’t going to make it. I tried to go out on deck 4 for more air, but it was too windy to even open the doors. We went up to deck 9. The pools were almost empty and the water was all over the deck. We sat for about 5 minutes before they told everyone they had to go inside.

I gave up and went back to the room to go to bed. The captain came on at noon and apologized for the waves. He said it wasn’t forecasted at all. We were going to start towards the shelter of the coast but it would take another 2-3 hours.:eek:

The captain said the winds were 65+ knots and it felt like it on deck.

I stayed in bed for 4 hours. I slept and watched parts of several movies. Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson, Ratatouille, Tinkerbell, and who knows what else. I slept a lot and didn’t move the rest of the time.

Debbie felt fine and went to get me a coke at some point. I wanted to get up and take pictures of the waves so badly, but I didn’t dare.

The Captain was right, at 3:00 we reached the coast and all was well. We went to the top deck to get some food since I hadn’t eaten all day. They opened Topsiders so people could bring their food inside.

After we ate, we had to begin the sad task of packing.

Our last dinner was at Animators. Our head servers told us the waves were the worst he’d been through. He said he was in charge of Topsiders. They opened at 11 with 36 servers, and by the time they closed at 1:00, they were down to 8. I didn’t feel quite so wimpy after that!:D

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
The last show was the always excellent, Disney Dreams. After that, we went back to our room and put on some pjs so we could put our clothes in our luggage that was about to be taken. After our luggage was gone, we remembered the Till We Meet Again party. Oops! :eek:

I confess, we went in our pj’s.:lookaroun

For those of you who are character stalkers, this is a character palooza! They spread out all over the lobby and you run around and take as many pictures as you can.

We were going from one to the next so quickly that I didn’t pay attention to my settings, or the fact that my lens hood was casting a shadow on my flash. So just get the feel for characters everywhere, and don’t look at picture quality!

7MedCruise146_filtered.jpg

7MedCruise148_filtered.jpg

7MedCruise149_filtered.jpg

7MedCruise151_filtered.jpg

After we said goodbye to Mickey and Minnie, I went up on deck to get some night shots. It was raining! :brick: Serves me right for waiting until the last night. I had to settle for pizza and ice cream.:lookaroun

One more day to post! Thanks for sticking with this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom