On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Miss Bella

It's not that simple, especially in a city like Orlando, where wages across almost all professions are kept low. The job I do now would literally pay me $20k less/yr if I were to do it in Orlando. A four hour drive away in the same state.

After taxes, that more than covers the difference in cost of living.
I would love to live in Florida, but I won't because I'd have to take a pay cut. We moved out of California to a state with a lower cost of living and a comparable income for my husband. It made life a lot easier.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Haven't you been arguing about people that want to earn more should get better jobs?

No, I said if people aren't happy with their job - it's on them to do things about it. Not for customers to take pity on them... not for bosses to pay people differently based on their personal lifestyle preferences, etc.

Someone brought up an example of people that do prefer to work for Disney... I acknowledged that's fine because they've made those decisions about what is important to them, and if they can make it work for them, great. If they can't... it's still on them to do something about it.

The Mom

Premium Member
Don’t be afraid to get up and walk. Last year I nearly bought an Audi A6, but when they started to play with the numbers at the F&I office, I got up and walked.

They had already detailed the Audi and moved my license plate and personal belongings over. I made them put everything back.

The internet has made it easier to do this - especially if you're willing to drive a little bit to get a lower priced car in an area with lower overhead for the dealer. The dealers know that you can can look up the "real" price of car, add a reasonable profit for them, and come up with a reasonable price. I also do not finance - through the dealer. I have a "car" CD and use a secured loan for 1/2 of the cost - so I'm getting it at very low interest rate, and the money gets put back into my CD - minus a tiny bit of interest. I only "finance" for 2 years at a time.

I have always been ready to walk if the dealer tries any last minute stuff.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

mkt

Premium Member
With the understanding that their income will be less than?

Some CM's have alternate sources of income, a few come from money and don't need to work, some are masters of budgeting and coupon clipping, some jump on every OT shift possible, and others make it work with this + government aid that they qualify for.

And many combinations of this.

mkt

Premium Member
It's a good incentive to work at Disney while going to college.

It absolutely was for me. I had a well known employer on my resumé by the time I graduated, and I was long gone from Florida, where Disney on a resumé is looked highly upon.

The Mom

Premium Member
I would love to live in Florida, but I won't because I'd have to take a pay cut. We moved out of California to a state with a lower cost of living and a comparable income for my husband. It made life a lot easier.

Which is why so many people move here after retirement - which is one reason we are a "taker" state. People earned/contributed to pensions, 401k, IRAs, SS. medicare, etc in other, higher pay/higher taxes states, but move here after retirement and start withdrawing all of those benefits.

Sir_Cliff

I suppose I’m lucky but it’s been incredibly easy for me to get jobs in the fields that I’m passionate about and enjoy.
I have also been very lucky to get a job that I enjoy (well, it has its moments) in a field that I love. This, though, makes me more understanding of the situation many CMs find themselves in.

Within my field (academia), it is very common for people to spend years working hard on poverty wages and ultimately go nowhere. That's in large part because the higher education system is structured to take advantage of the fact people are passionate about their field and will sacrifice a lot to obtain a job, sucking in more people to do PhDs than there are academic jobs and them dangling the carrot of an eventual job in front of them in exchange for cheap teaching labor. Because some people do make it and the culture tells you that you have to persevere if you hope to be worthy of a tenure track position, it becomes very hard for people to judge whether they're chasing sunk costs or giving up on their life's ambition because they don't want it enough. I had to work hard, but was also lucky to get the position I have. One little decision or random event along the way and I could easily be still jumping from temporary contract to temporary contract not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

So, I can completely understand people buying into the whole Disney dream and not recognising the difference between sunk costs and perseverance in deciding to remain in their job. The culture people are describing here doesn't seem a world away from what I've seen in my own field.

mkt

Premium Member

I'm a bit lucky in that I am officially a Chicago employee in a remote position. So I earn a Chicago Wacker Drive salary while working from home in Miami.

But we really want out of Florida. My wife's career has hit a bit of a wall in Florida, so we are looking at DC or Denver.

Lilofan

I'm a bit lucky in that I am officially a Chicago employee in a remote position. So I earn a Chicago Wacker Drive salary while working from home in Miami.

But we really want out of Florida. My wife's career has hit a bit of a wall in Florida, so we are looking at DC or Denver.
DC or Denver- hopefully you like a lot of snow especially in Denver.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Well if you are concerned about cost of living.. DC shouldn't be high on your list :) Even way out in our suburbs, many drive an hour to work simply because they can't afford to live near where they work :) And I'm not talking about 'commuting to the city' - I'm talking about can't live in suburb ABC, so you live in BFE county and commute in.

Anywhere nice in the DC suburbs costs a fortune. Not SF or NYC... but considering I live 45mins from the city and still have those kind of urban comparisons... that should tell you something :)

Of course you could move out to the country here.. we have really nice stuff out to the west.

hopemax

DC or Denver- hopefully you like a lot of snow especially in Denver.
You obviously don’t live in Denver. We’ve been here 12 years and there is not nearly as much snow as people think. Even when we get 10” the roads are bare and wet within 24 hours of the snow stopping. There was one time it got really cold after a heavy snow and things stuck around causing problems. But it was once. I think the Northeast down to DC gets storms with way more impact than we get.

Our snow mostly comes end of October or beginning of November or March into April. So when it snows it’s still pretty warm so it’s over quickly.

The_Jobu

I have also been very lucky to get a job that I enjoy (well, it has its moments) in a field that I love. This, though, makes me more understanding of the situation many CMs find themselves in.

Within my field (academia), it is very common for people to spend years working hard on poverty wages and ultimately go nowhere. That's in large part because the higher education system is structured to take advantage of the fact people are passionate about their field and will sacrifice a lot to obtain a job, sucking in more people to do PhDs than there are academic jobs and them dangling the carrot of an eventual job in front of them in exchange for cheap teaching labor. Because some people do make it and the culture tells you that you have to persevere if you hope to be worthy of a tenure track position, it becomes very hard for people to judge whether they're chasing sunk costs or giving up on their life's ambition because they don't want it enough. I had to work hard, but was also lucky to get the position I have. One little decision or random event along the way and I could easily be still jumping from temporary contract to temporary contract not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

So, I can completely understand people buying into the whole Disney dream and not recognising the difference between sunk costs and perseverance in deciding to remain in their job. The culture people are describing here doesn't seem a world away from what I've seen in my own field.

Ugh, its such a tough road. I'm just starting and already collecting backup options.

mwf5555

It is pretty obvious at this point that if in fact there were layoffs yesterday, they weren’t among the frontline cast members. That would have been all over social media. If layoffs happened yesterday it was among the management ranks.
no, its not obvious...maybe just a phased approach and maybe if a cast member said anything then they would lose some incentive

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom