News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971

without revealing secrets do you mind sharing how you became enthralled by WDW? did you ever work as a cm? or just visit when you were younger?
An aunt lived near when I was a kid. So I went in 79, 81 and 82. Loved it. Went back in 87 for EPCOT Center - having read all about it for six years - and was blown away. Even back then as a 14 year old I took interest in ride systems and design, the tech of the attractions. EPCOT had it all for me. That's where it really began for me. In August 1987, funnily enough in the UoE.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I wish. I've never seen it like this and we don't go in peak season.

Of course there could be 700 guests actually riding beyond the doors to load.
On our last visit, mid-Jan 2016, there were 30 minute waits with people in line at the door.

prberk

Here's my eulogy:
When I visited in 1989, the Great Movie Ride was THE attraction at Disney Studios. Honestly, it was the only attraction in E-ticket, dark ride terms, but nonetheless it was high tech and revolutionary for its combination of animatronics, live actors and storytelling.

Over the years, the attraction kept on moving. It was not only at the center of the park, but THE center of the park, pulling the idea of the movie studio together like a bow.

The true sadness of its closure is this- it's the end of the moving theatre ride, it's the end of the mass animatronic storytelling ride, and it's the end of the interactive live action ride. It's three giant endings in one, and that's why people cherish it more than other attractions.

The new Mickey ride is sure to be a treat, and I'll be sure to check it out. But it won't have the massive sets, the immersive detail. They'll be no "Tom's Livery Stable" or real dynamite explosions. They'll be no gangster shootouts where an actual car rolled into the scene. They'll be no John Wayne warning that you're entering dangerous territory before coming face to face with terrifying Aliens, snakes, and the Wicked Witch. Never will there be such a blend of random classic movie characters in one place (unless you pop in Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

And that is why the Great Movie Ride is such a bittersweet end.

I agree especially with these statements. It was long-form storytelling that was a both a people-eater and a great attraction. It did need updating to stay fresh, even if updated with more classic movies from different eras, including the eighties -- how much fun would it have been to have Ferris Bueller show up or even the bumbling would-be gangsters from "Home Alone"? -- but it was truly a great ride. I for one still believe in the dual mission of WDW intertwining education and exposure with sharp entertainment. That was a great example of it.

And don't forget the usefulness of long-form entertainment at WDW -- not just for crowd control but also for a good long air-conditioning break! In the hot Florida sun, a half hour spent enjoying the history of movies in this immersive experience was not only welcome in the way of being enjoyable, but I think it (and the other long-form rides) was also literally refreshing, adding to the overall experience by adding balance to the day that a park full of fast two-minute thrills and long lines cannot do.

Thank you to all the Cast Members over the years who brought us on this spectacular journey into the movies.

Hear, hear!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
He could very well be right about it. He has only a limited personal exposure as do I, but, I don't see any company, especially one that is focused as much on the bottom line as Disney letting a big draw die when saving money on operations will cut down on people entering the parks. Counter-productive! Even the starchiest of Accountants is aware of that. I don't think he has the numbers in his possession. Disney isn't likely to let that out to even the most trusted fan. But, maybe he does. What I have heard is from the word of his information source. That type of information is highly unreliable. All I know is that GMR is no more. Skip over the finger pointing part of that scenario and trust that there is a good reason to have picked that one, and I think I said what it was. We may never know. So, enjoy what is going to be there, we've all got plenty of time to work through our mourning period and lets get back to the business of theme parking. I'm out on this topic, so enjoy the unverifiable speculation. It still won't open GMR back up, but, if it makes everyone feel better... have at it.
Big draw or not, there simply weren't enough Disney movies in the GMR to keep the current management supportive. That won't be an issue when its replacement opens.

matt9112

An aunt lived near when I was a kid. So I went in 79, 81 and 82. Loved it. Went back in 87 for EPCOT Center - having read all about it for six years - and was blown away. Even back then as a 14 year old I took interest in ride systems and design, the tech of the attractions. EPCOT had it all for me. That's where it really began for me. In August 1987, funnily enough in the UoE.

epcot really is my fav even though I neever got to truly experience it's glory days. the premise the bright future is amazing. (spaceship earth is probably my favorite ride resort wide) my first visit was the year invetween horizons operation so I missed it. still sore about that.

dreamscometrue

One more shameless plug

These are not shameless plugs. There are many members on these boards who are likely unaware that your wonderful videos exist. It is in fact doing everyone a service by letting them know that these are out there. I for one, absolutely love being able to learn about attractions that I never got to experience (like your recent World of Motion and Horizons videos), and learning more about ones that I have experienced. Seeing the history, development, concept art, and inner workings of beloved attractions such as Tower of Terror, Pirates of the Caribbean&Big Thunder Mountain (together) and (one that was super cool) An American Adventure HD, is thrilling for a WDW and Imagineering fan like me. Further, you are documenting history, for us to revisit later.

So, shamelessly plug away I say!

Cheers

(Hey kids, videos also at MartinsVidsDotNet, on YouTube)

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
These are not shameless plugs. There are many members on these boards who are likely unaware that your wonderful videos exist. It is in fact doing everyone a service by letting them know that these are out there. I for one, absolutely love being able to learn about attractions that I never got to experience (like your recent World of Motions and Horizons videos), and learning more about ones that I have experienced. Seeing the history, development, concept art, and inner workings of beloved attractions such as Tower of Terror, Pirates of the Caribbean&Big Thunder Mountain (together) and (one that was super cool) An American Adventure HD, is thrilling for a WDW and Imagineering fan like me. Further, you are documenting history, for us to revisit later.

So, shamelessly plug away I say!

Cheers

(Hey kids, videos also at MartinsVidsDotNet, on YouTube)
Thank you :)

NearTheEars

That's all, folks. :(

Still don't see how the Mickey ride is going to incorporate itself into the Chinese Theater. But hey, since when does Chappie and Iger care about theme integration? Only that old dead guy cared about that. :mad: :grumpy:

I'm assuming the queue will remain the same but with Mickey shorts will be playing up on the screen. And then at some point, you are invited into, or sucked into the short and become a part of it.

Phineas

I didn't expect to be as sad as I am about GMR closing, I thought I had made my peace with the laughable decisions which led to its closure, but reading everything on these past few pages has made me nostalgic. I wish the powers that be had maintained and updated the attraction accordingly; effects maintained to not fail/be shut off forever, the script adapted to change with the times, scenes improved as technology advanced, etc. This attraction was the embodiment of the spirit that comes to mind when I think of WDW.

This was one of those attractions, like The Jungle Cruise, where the ride hosts had the power to make/break the experience. My favorite ride thru has to be one from years ago where our host was a grandfatherly type who was just so honest and committed to the story. It was like he was telling us all a bedtime story. He really sold all of the dialogue, including the seemingly difficult to time conversation with the wicked witch. It's the only time I can remember my cheering/applause during the 'cursed treasure' scene to be completely genuine.

I have no doubt that the Mickey replacement will be spectacular, but I still cannot justify gutting GMR for Mickey, when the Animation Courtyard is right. there.

Thanks to all of you for sharing all these last day photos and stories-it's very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Mike S

the above is why.
That logic would make Steamboat Willie seem unfitting as well because whoever heard of a Steamboat inside a movie theater? But no it doesn't work like that because it's the name of a short, not an attempt to imply there's an actual railroad inside the theater. After almost 30 years I thought people would've caught on to how the Chinese Theater in DHS is seemingly magical and lets you jump into the screen.

becca_

That logic would make Steamboat Willie seem unfitting as well because whoever heard of a Steamboat inside a movie theater? But no it doesn't work like that because it's the name of a short, not an attempt to imply there's an actual railroad inside the theater. After almost 30 years I thought people would've caught on to how the Chinese Theater in DHS is seemingly magical and lets you jump into the screen.
Like... The Chinese Theater presents: M & M RR (the name of the short you're going to see), you get to be a part of the short/ride IN the short that you were going to see.

I didn't think it was a hard thing to understand, but I digress!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That was the best part of the ride... You really did feel like you were a part of the movies, man I am really going to miss this one more than UOE but that one stings as well. Child TJ is dying a little inside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom