News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Mike S

I hope they at least keep the queue the same. They would be stupid not to.
Since the Chinese Theater is staying why wouldn't they keep the line?
Agreed. When I hear runway railway I think of a train on tracks or something, and this is in the chinese theater. Imagineering has flown the coop I guess, I dont know. Its very sad what they have become.
It's the name of a Mickey Mouse short that we're attending the premiere of. How does it really not make sense in that context?

Sketch105

Here's my eulogy:
When I visited in 1989, the Great Movie Ride was THE attraction at Disney Studios. Honestly, it was the only attraction in E-ticket, dark ride terms, but nonetheless it was high tech and revolutionary for its combination of animatronics, live actors and storytelling.

I remember The Disney channel was constantly running specials on this new park and how this one attraction was a landmark achievement. The Wicked Witch was pretty much the unofficial mascot according to them, with imagineers and promotional hosts often pointing out how amazingly lifelike her movements were. The Aliens came second, with the right side Alien often being featured in promotional shots and videos as well.

Over the years, the attraction kept on moving. It was not only at the center of the park, but THE center of the park, pulling the idea of the movie studio together like a bow.

Over the years we all floated the idea of changes coming- constantly tinkering with thoughts of Tarzan or Alien being replaced by "Lord of the Rings" or other movie franchises. Alas, none of that was to come.

Disney in 1989 was a company with few live action franchises and a sense of dignity, and they tried there hand at creating a not only unique celebration of the movies, but they were smart enough to get in bed with several non-competitive studios to flesh out an attraction so it didn't become "the Great Disney movie ride".

Flash forward to now, and Disney is a conglomerate media powerhouse with Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm and their own studio branches turning out hits. They no longer need to recognize the past or anything they do not own, and the idea of a studio park in this day and age is, for all purposes, dead. Tastes changed, times changed, technology changed, but the Great Movie Ride kept chugging along with this interesting idea and story laced through scenes from popular movies (from years that had past).

Disney is building a Star Wars land. A Toy Story land. It has an Indiana Jones show and a Star Wars ride already. It celebrates its animated films in montages, fireworks, and many other attractions at other parks. Great Movie Ride has always had an expiration date in the modern Disney age, whether we wanted to admit it or not. The true sadness of its closure is this- it's the end of the moving theatre ride, it's the end of the mass animatronic storytelling ride, and it's the end of the interactive live action ride. It's three giant endings in one, and that's why people cherish it more than other attractions.

The new Mickey ride is sure to be a treat, and I'll be sure to check it out. But it won't have the massive sets, the immersive detail. They'll be no "Tom's Livery Stable" or real dynamite explosions. They'll be no gangster shootouts where an actual car rolled into the scene. They'll be no John Wayne warning that you're entering dangerous territory before coming face to face with terrifying Aliens, snakes, and the Wicked Witch. Never will there be such a blend of random classic movie characters in one place (unless you pop in Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

And that is why the Great Movie Ride is such a bittersweet end.

AndrewsJ

This still feels like a horrific nightmare. Yes I'm overreacting but my god, this ride was the definition of ICONIC and the fools running Disney have no idea how special it is. Sad sad. A shame all those in favor of this destruction couldn't have been permanently removed from the company
Normally I would agree that you are overreacting but being there Friday night and tonight changes all of that. GMR is ICONIC. It's a loss. Friday night we did a walk through and dessert party (charity event) and everything was so perfectly detailed. Even areas not seeable from the vehicle. The detail was remarkable. As I was standing in the gangster scene trying to take a selfie an older male CM walked up and asked if he could take the picture for me. As he was handing the camera back I noticed a tear running down his face. He said to me "This is my house, I spend more time here than my actual house and now they are taking it away from me". I shook his hand and thanked him for sharing his "house"with so many people. I'm assuming he was in engineering or whatever Disney calls the mechanical people. I will never forget him as long as I live. I will never forget that night as long as I live and I will never forget GMR for as long as I live.

IanDLBZF

This still feels like a horrific nightmare. Yes I'm overreacting but my god, this ride was the definition of ICONIC and the fools running Disney have no idea how special it is. Sad sad. A shame all those in favor of this destruction couldn't have been permanently removed from the company
Why not organize a protest against the company?!
Or better yet say this:
Disney, this is the FINAL STRAW.
I wish I could move SO FAR AWAY, that I COULD BE ABLE TO BRAG about it.
I would rather tear out Iger's brainstem, carry it into the middle of the nearest four-way intersection, and skip rope with it than go on living where I do now!

Jrn14

R.I.P. Great Movie Ride. The Great Movie Ride will always hold a special place in my heart. When I was a CP I worked at Mermaid/Playhouse and when I was assigned stroller duty we would park them in front of GMR to the right. I would get lost kind of listening to all the movie scores and look at the Chinese theater in it's glory. (besides when the neon sign was burnt out for like 3 weeks) The most impressive animatronics to me were always Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in the Casablanca scene. I always thought they did an amazing job of giving those two such subtle and realistic facial expressions and movements.

And all though I must have ridden her at least 20+ times in my life I've NEVER gotten the cowboy version. Still a little bitter about that.

Rest in Peace <3

Herbie

I've had the cowboy scene the last three times. Tonight, July 31st and July 27th-ish?

Anyways. It was bittersweet. I got in line around 8:30 and exited the building around 9:40. My guide was a younger blonde who did a SPECTACULAR job. There was no toned down performance whatsoever. So much clapping, it seemed like they added a finale applause track (I feel they may have..) but the real applause was definitely strong. The guide was definitely eating the love up and exchanged hugs with a few others afterward. The love and fandom was immense and wonderful and I'm truly astonished it could not have saved this classic attraction from its fate. It was a great ride indeed.

aladdin2007

Since the Chinese Theater is staying why wouldn't they keep the line?

It's the name of a Mickey Mouse short that we're attending the premiere of. How does it really not make sense in that context?

when I hear the words "Runaway Railway" I think of a stereotypical runaway mine train type setting, which is going to mesh really weirdly with the grandiose Chinese Theater facade.

the above is why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom