Possible Frontierland expansion

WDWTank

The last Meet N Greet I went to was a while back... it was Tinkerbelle and friends. There was Tinkerbelle, some fairy dressed in red, a photographer and 2 handlers plus someone standing in the queue...It took about around 45 minutes to get to see the fairies, the set was non-existant except for a couple leaves, and they were of course making money from the photographs... so that is bringing money into the bottom line that also reduces the overall operational expenses... I am afraid as long as the Sheeple keep applauding these types of things, this will be the future of the Magic Kingdom...
When I become CEO of The Walt Disney Company all of this will change :)

WDWTank

SW? Snow White? Star Wars? Almost broke your neck? on Shnow White's Scary Adventures? It was a quaint old school dark ride... I still rode it every time even after they ruined it by toning down the horror elements...
Princess Fairy Tale Hall aka Marriott Ballroom Pre Function Space with Costumed College Kids is not a ride replacement in my book and never will be.
I miss the Snow White ride :( Better than the mine train....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry to derail further, but could a platform be built over the Utilidor access for a ride building to perch upon, or is the ground too unstable for that?

Here's what the back side of Mermaid and BoG looks like and the main Utilidor Entrance. This is north of MK looking south.

upload_2017-6-19_5-2-0.png

If you do anything to the north of these buildings and you're still outside, then you've got to hide all that as well as stabilize the swamp land and reroute canals and drainage ponds.

But, let's say you create an enclosed walkway to a building on the north side for a dark ride. You still have to deal with the road...

upload_2017-6-19_5-20-22.png

There's only one truck/car bridge over the railroad tracks to get to the utilidors, and then it runs along the back of the show buildings. You either have to build a new bridge (red arrow), or, your covered walkway to a proposed dark ride show building would have to be a giant ramp over the roadway. A magic escalator?

The easier solutions would be to get rid of Speedway and expand Fantasy Land into it. Or, build to the north of Space Mountain, although, you'll have to deal with a bridge or two over the rail road.

And if this is all for a BatB dark ride and you want to keep it next to the restaurant... well then some very hard and expensive choices need to be made. For me, it's simple, trash the horrible Mermaid ride. :D

Bocabear

The Mermaid Ride is not the worst thing in the world, nd not worth trashing...It is a bit disappointing, but a sweet little ride with an E-ticket queue and placemaking facade...Seems like they could cut the roadway to the right just after the bridge allowing room to expand the buildings straight back enough to fit the BATB show building...And they do relocate retention ponds all the time...Down here in South Florida it definitely happens when they want to move a road or add a new building...Look at the size of the Mermaid show building, now imagine attaching it to the backside of Gastons and route the road along the backside of the new show building...excuse the crude graphics. I have shown the show building larger than the Mermaid and expanded the drainage pond lengthwise... Anything is possible if they want to do it...
BATB Show Building Location.jpg

jt04

They've just spent a fortune on extending the land. One that hasn't generated the universal praise they aimed for. Do you really think they'd spend another fortune on infrastructure and engineering so they can spend yet another fortune on a ride?

Oddly though, the coaster usually has longer wait times than new e tickets from the local competition.

jt04

Here's what the back side of Mermaid and BoG looks like and the main Utilidor Entrance. This is north of MK looking south.

View attachment 211042

If you do anything to the north of these buildings and you're still outside, then you've got to hide all that as well as stabilize the swamp land and reroute canals and drainage ponds.

But, let's say you create an enclosed walkway to a building on the north side for a dark ride. You still have to deal with the road...

View attachment 211043

There's only one truck/car bridge over the railroad tracks to get to the utilidors, and then it runs along the back of the show buildings. You either have to build a new bridge (red arrow), or, your covered walkway to a proposed dark ride show building would have to be a giant ramp over the roadway. A magic escalator?

The easier solutions would be to get rid of Speedway and expand Fantasy Land into it. Or, build to the north of Space Mountain, although, you'll have to deal with a bridge or two over the rail road.

And if this is all for a BatB dark ride and you want to keep it next to the restaurant... well then some very hard and expensive choices need to be made. For me, it's simple, trash the horrible Mermaid ride. :D

There is always the space mountain tunnel solution. Might need to remove a circus tent or two.

Bocabear

They've just spent a fortune on extending the land. One that hasn't generated the universal praise they aimed for. Do you really think they'd spend another fortune on infrastructure and engineering so they can spend yet another fortune on a ride?
no actually I dpn't think they would...Not the Disney of today...I would expect them to sooner knock out the Circus tents and build an attraction there instead...but not even that at this point.

Spike-in-Berlin

Actually I consider FLafter the Fantasyland expansion to be the only land in the MK at the moment that doesn't need an expansion (together with Liberty Square though). Adventureland hasn't seen a major addition since the 70ies (I WANT MY FIRE MOUNTAIN!) and the only minor addition is the worst imagineering ever (Flying Carpets with that ridiculous totally out of area Aggrabah mini-section) Tomorrowland is also a far better candidate for the next major expansion in the MK than FL, especially with that loud, outdated eyesore TLS and the most unpopular attraction in the MK, SGE.
I really don't know why they should do something with FL, which works good IMHO, before they haven't fixed the two others.

Bocabear

Actually I consider FLafter the Fantasyland expansion to be the only land in the MK at the moment that doesn't need an expansion (together with Liberty Square though). Adventureland hasn't seen a major addition since the 70ies (I WANT MY FIRE MOUNTAIN!) and the only minor addition is the worst imagineering ever (Flying Carpets with that ridiculous totally out of area Aggrabah mini-section) Tomorrowland is also a far better candidate for the next major expansion in the MK than FL, especially with that loud, outdated eyesore TLS and the most unpopular attraction in the MK, SGE.
I really don't know why they should do something with FL, which works good IMHO, before they haven't fixed the two others.
I agree completely...and Tomorrowland has the most amount of room for expansion...While I would love an expansion in Adventureland I think it would be difficult with the proximity of the other attractions and train tracks... Not without a substantial change to the Jungle Cruise anyway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually I consider FLafter the Fantasyland expansion to be the only land in the MK at the moment that doesn't need an expansion (together with Liberty Square though).

The pressure to find a place for the BatB dark ride clone in WDW comes from the desire of some to keep it and other movie-based-IPs out of Epcot. Otherwise, I don't think expanding FL any further would be on people's radar.

But now that it's been decided that a Rat clone and not a BatB clone will be coming to the France pavilion, this should end FL fantasies. :)

UpAllNight

How viable is Adventureland for an expansion?

It's the area that we spend least time in, and to be honest pales in comparison to most versions of it across the world (that I've been too anyway) It could do with more...adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom