Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Rodan75

Assuming that a character is not part of the Fantastic Four and Avengers 'Families' just because they had their first appearance in FF or were once an Avenger and are not currently leveraged in a more than incidental way at IoA which groups would be considered available for WDW?
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Inhumans
  • BH6
  • Squadron Supreme and any 'New Universe' characters
  • Netflix's Defenders? (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, JJ, Hellcat, Punisher)
  • Ghost Rider?
  • Blade ?
  • Agents of Atlas
Families Clearly within Universal's east of the Mississippi Theme Park rights:
  • The Avengers
  • X-Men (and likely all mutants)
  • Fantastic Four
  • Hulk
  • Original Defenders/Invaders
  • Spider-Man
Are there any other Marvel family groups? Obviously Universal has all of the big ones represented clearly and beyond incidentally. It would be hard for Disney to use any of the families they have control over outside of Guardians or BH6 at the Theme Parks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My sister says that in order for Disney to put Marvel in its' parks, they would have to wait for Universal's contract with them to expire, since their characters were at that park before Disney got them. Does anyone happen to know when the Universal/Marvel contract ends, by any chance?
In short, and to keep it short, it doesn't end.

Matt_Black

Are there any other Marvel family groups? Obviously Universal has all of the big ones represented clearly and beyond incidentally. It would be hard for Disney to use any of the families they have control over outside of Guardians or BH6 at the Theme Parks.

Well, as noted above, there's Marvel's assortment of Western characters- Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt, Two-Gun Kid, etc*. The Thunderbolts are kind of Avengers-adjacent, since they started out as Avengers' foes. Finally, there's a host of Golden Age characters from Marvel's Timely period (many of which were used for "The Twelve") which are, for the most part, unaffiliated, to the best of my knowledge.

*And yes, TECHNICALLY I believe most, if not all, of them are honorary Avengers, but who ISN'T at this point. Pretty sure Superman and Batman have been named honorary members in one of the Marvel/ DC crossovers.

Rodan75

Well, as noted above, there's Marvel's assortment of Western characters- Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt, Two-Gun Kid, etc*. The Thunderbolts are kind of Avengers-adjacent, since they started out as Avengers' foes. Finally, there's a host of Golden Age characters from Marvel's Timely period (many of which were used for "The Twelve") which are, for the most part, unaffiliated, to the best of my knowledge.

*And yes, TECHNICALLY I believe most, if not all, of them are honorary Avengers, but who ISN'T at this point. Pretty sure Superman and Batman have been named honorary members in one of the Marvel/ DC crossovers.

I had forgotten about the Western Characters, all of the Marvel Monsters should be free to use as well. It would be hilarious to have WDW troll Universal and do a Monster Land utilizing all of the Marvel versions of the classic monsters.

Matt_Black

I had forgotten about the Western Characters, all of the Marvel Monsters should be free to use as well. It would be hilarious to have WDW troll Universal and do a Monster Land utilizing all of the Marvel versions of the classic monsters.

Throw Tomb of Dracula in DHS and watch smoke come out of Uni's collective ears. Gotta love the Public Domain. Speaking of, if they wanted, I don't see why Marvel couldn't do something with a bunch of Golden Age Public Domain characters, like the original Daredevil or the Fox Features Syndicate Thor and then put those guys in somewhere, to up the trolling exponentially.

Disneyhead'71

Throw Tomb of Dracula in DHS and watch smoke come out of Uni's collective ears. Gotta love the Public Domain. Speaking of, if they wanted, I don't see why Marvel couldn't do something with a bunch of Golden Age Public Domain characters, like the original Daredevil or the Fox Features Syndicate Thor and then put those guys in somewhere, to up the trolling exponentially.
What if Universal made Snow White and Peter Pan rides?

Rodan75

What if Universal made Snow White and Peter Pan rides?

It is certainly possible. The public domain gets pretty icky pretty quickly for everyone.

Although it seems doubtful that Universal or anyone else (beside DIS) will touch Snow White or Peter Pan anytime soon after what happened with PAN and what is looking like what will happen with Winters War.

doctornick

Assuming that a character is not part of the Fantastic Four and Avengers 'Families' just because they had their first appearance in FF or were once an Avenger and are not currently leveraged in a more than incidental way at IoA which groups would be considered available for WDW?
  • Inhumans
  • BH6
  • Ghost Rider?
  • Blade ?
  • Agents of Atlas

Hmmm, you brought up a very interesting option... The Squadron Supreme. I have no idea if Marvel plans to use them at all, but they are in a whole different reality (the evil version of that group from the mainstream Marvel universe is the Squadron Sinister). Doing something like an animated film (a la BH6) or a Marvel Studios film, but detached from the MCU might be something to bring those characters some more mainstream attention. They are pretty classic archetype heroes being based on DC's Justice League and I could see them being used effectively in a theme park land.

Two other groups I would think about:
1. Power Pack -- this group of kids aren't related to the characters at Uni except when Franklin Richards was a member. It's talked about that they would be a natural fit for the Big Hero 6 treatment of an animated, family friendly movie and could be used in the parks as long as Franklin Richards isn't involved.
2. Runaways -- this is a group that has had a film treatment done and was previously in talks for inclusion in the MCU. Wouldn't be shocked if we see a movie, or at least a TV series, at some point and I think they'd be usable in the parks.

asianway

• Inhumans
  • BH6
  • Ghost Rider?
  • Blade ?
  • Agents of Atlas
Families Clearly within Universal's east of the Mississippi Theme Park rights:
  • The Avengers
  • X-Men (and likely all mutants)
  • Fantastic Four
  • Hulk
  • Original Defenders/Invaders
  • Spider-Man
You would have a hard time convincing anyone the Inhumans are not in the FF family

Quinnmac000

I hope Sandler is next, he hasn't been funny in quite a bit of time.

He learned that by making films like Blended and Just Go with It, he essentially gets paid to be on vacation while making a 2 hour informercial for the hotels he is staying at and after the films regardless of if they are flops, attendance and room occupancy has gone up particularly the resort used in the film Blended.

doctornick

You would have a hard time convincing anyone the Inhumans are not in the FF family

All depends on how broadly "family" is defined; the documents don't really make it clear and it would be up to the lawyers to duke it out. That said, I would think Crystal and Medusa are definitely out, given that they've been a members of the FF.

Edit: That said, I'd find it hard to argue that the Agents of SHIELD/MCU version of Inhumans -- where they are a surrogate for Mutants -- would be prohibited by the Uni contract. Maybe the Royal Family would be excluded (I think that's in the gray area) but using Quake and the folks in AoS would likely be fine (or an attraction based on the notion that you, the guest, are an Inhuman and get powers when exposed to the Terrigen Mist).

Mike S

Thor would've been a much better fit for Norway. Uni can't stop Disney from using a new depiction of a Norse God can they? Like you said, gotta love the public domain.

Quinnmac000

Thor would've been a much better fit for Norway. Uni can't stop Disney from using a new depiction of a Norse God can they? Like you said, gotta love the public domain.

They can. Disney/Marvel screwed up by pretty much putting all the Marvel Characters into one cinematic universe. The only ones for sure they can use are Big Hero 6 as they never were an avenger or an x-men nor part of fantastic 4. (Blade is also off limits as he was an avenger) and yes Universal can argue that even if they use the New depiction of Thor (which is female), Universal already has the rights to any styling of the character Marvel has approved of. And with Disney putting 67+ superheroes in Infinity Wars films they all become for sure without a doubt under the Avenger family.

Mike S

They can. Disney/Marvel screwed up by pretty much putting all the Marvel Characters into one cinematic universe. The only ones for sure they can use are Big Hero 6 as they never were an avenger or an x-men nor part of fantastic 4. (Blade is also off limits as he was an avenger) and yes Universal can argue that even if they use the New depiction of Thor (which is female), Universal already has the rights to any styling of the character Marvel has approved of. And with Disney putting 67+ superheroes in Infinity Wars films they all become for sure without a doubt under the Avenger family.
I didn't mean the female Thor. I meant making a ride about the mythical Norse God with zero ties to anything Marvel. It's public domain.

Matt_Black

Pinocchio is in the Shrek pre-show. The characters themselves are public domain, they just can't use Disney's representation of those characters.

Indeed. For further clarification, other versions of Snow White give different names to the dwarfs, because in the original story, they didn't have names. Disney named them and, more importantly, copyrighted and trademarked them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom