Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

StageFrenzy

Why invest in a themed bar if it is just going to be totally gutted within a year? Things just aren't adding up.

The bar hasn't been confirmed at this point yet, has it?

If this happens to ToT this will rank as one of the stupidest ideas they have ever come up with....and they have a lot of them already (especially as of late)

A themed bar is relatively cheap and super easy for Disney. It's F&B which means there is a quantifiable ROI and if they are serving alcohol it will be super quick. If they weren't planning it before I don't know why not now.

seabreezept813

I don't see what the big fuzz is about. If they keep the elevator feel and thrill with some retheme or whatever, who cares? From Disney's perspective they will stop paying royalty to CBS and promote one of their franchises. The only question is once GoTG become avengers, then what? They gotta retheme it again? lol

I have no ties to twilight zone. Never watched it. Not sure what the show was about. Don't care about its theme. So to me, personally, it's more about if they will keep the drop, and I'm pretty sure they will.

Sounds like you could just save yourself money and go to 6 flags or the local fair. Drop rides will always be around, so no worries there. Elaborately themed and visually stunning drop rides, well I guess those might not always be around. I don't have any kids of my own yet, but I always imagined that when I do I could bring them to Disney and they would experience the Disney magic. But with decisions like these, I'm not sure I will want to show anyone the Disney of the future. Of course, I'll keep hoping that an intervention of intelligence will occur.

Mike S

Haven't been back here hardly at all since I broke this news a month ago and as much as I hate to break it to the naysayers, things are still moving forward on both coasts.

From a well-placed source:

"The Tower project is moving along through approvals and design refinements, and the project now has a proposed timeline that closes the attraction this October instead of January as a more elaborate pre-show and queue plan has been given the thumbs up by TDA.

The project isn't formally funded yet as part of Fiscal '17, that won't happen until June or July, but WDI keeps getting happy words and encouragement from TDA and Burbank. TDA could care less about the upset fans, as they consider them to be of the same variety that were upset about Aladdin and Mad T Party closing. TDO continues to balk at the price tag but Chapek thinks the Guardians franchise is the right way to go long term. "

In other words, almost a done deal for Anaheim and still likely for Orlando ... please stick that in your Tweeter!

*Someone should paste Tower of Terror over the Statue of Liberty and make a nice gif.
I don't see what the big fuzz is about. If they keep the elevator feel and thrill with some retheme or whatever, who cares? From Disney's perspective they will stop paying royalty to CBS and promote one of their franchises. The only question is once GoTG become avengers, then what? They gotta retheme it again? lol

I have no ties to twilight zone. Never watched it. Not sure what the show was about. Don't care about its theme. So to me, personally, it's more about if they will keep the drop, and I'm pretty sure they will.
If all you care for is the drop go to Six Flags Great Adventure and ride Zumanjaro (tallest in the world) and leave Tower of Terror to those of us with a taste for proper theming. I also suggest watching SyFy channel around New Years while they have a Twilight Zone marathon and educating yourself.

seabreezept813

It's concerning that this topic seems to have been forgotten about here. As if defeat has already become the new reality. Even if this is unlikely or hyperbolic, I'll fire off some new emails just to make sure the Disney interns know about my disgust so I can pretend it will make a difference.

BrianLo

TDA could care less about the upset fans, as they consider them to be of the same variety that were upset about Aladdin and Mad T Party closing.

THIS needs to be discussed. THIS is why these crap idea can come to fruition. The fan community has completely lost its voice thanks to all the absolute unimportant minutiae the community gnashes their teeth about every 2 minutes.

The boy who cried wolf, as it were. That comment from your source is so telling.

Anaheim in particular lost its rally behind their leader (Al Lutz) and now it might as well not have a voice at all.

twebber55

THIS needs to be discussed. THIS is why these crap idea can come to fruition. The fan community has completely lost its voice thanks to all the absolute unimportant minutiae the community gnashes their teeth about every 2 minutes.

The boy who cried wolf, as it were. That comment from your source is so telling.

Anaheim in particular lost its rally behind their leader (Al Lutz) and now it might as well not have a voice at all.
if you cry wolf so many times your voice is ignored no doubt

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

My post got deleted and I'm not gonna type everything again. Basically I don't have the attachment to ToT that you guys do and couldn't care less if they retheme it to GoTG or something else. I also don't care if they keep it the same. The underlying tech is good, the random dropness is good, and that's what's important to me. The theme is second fiddle to the tech to me. That's not to say I want some off the shelf machine. I do want a theme. I just don't care what that theme is as long as it is good.

Taking away the emotion, and from a business perspective, it makes sense to retheme it and get rid of it so they don't have to pay any more royalties to CBS. They are already gonna have to pay big royalties to Fox, so I'm sure they wanna keep that to a minimum. I will say that GoTG deserves much better, like Transformers or Spiderman attraction kind of investment, but Disney is not gonna build a super hero island anytime soon, and GoTG will join up with the avengers, so this might be temporary anyways.

Suggesting I go to Six Flags is laughable because those parks suck and it's not just because of the rides. Things change all the time and I don't cling on to history. I want more Harry Potters and Everquests in my theme parks, less dr. doom fall and space voyager or whatever that ride is they have at epcot.

Mike S

I did like Aladdin though the one time I saw it.

Launchpad McQuack

To be fair, a LOT of people have been on the Fantastic Four. Other substitute members include but are not limited to the Hulk, She-Hulk, Crystal, Ms. Marvel (no, not Carol, and now, not the current one, either), Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ghost Rider, the Black Panther, Namor, Luke Cage, and probably several others I'm forgetting.

The New Fantastic Four (Hulk, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider) is still one of the most gloriously 90s inventions from Marvel, and I love it. The only thing more "90s" from Fantastic Four was Invisible Woman's weird "4 cleavage" costume.

Wikkler

Wouldn't it be just as good if the Storybook Land Canal Boats had no scenery? Just a concrete ditch.

Launchpad McQuack

I don't get the whole idea that just because Guardians will appear in an Avengers brand movie that they will automatically fall under the Avengers "family" clause. If that were the case, they would already be in the Avengers family, as would almost all of the X-Men, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Fantastic Four, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Kang, Doctor Doom, Venom, etc since they have all appeared in Avengers comic books or cartoons at some point. It would be like saying Disney/Marvel can't make a Captain Marvel movie because she used to hang out with the X-Men during the Claremont era. I know movie and theme park rights are VERY different, but I feel like the same general idea applies. Plus, I'm assuming the Disney and Universal lawyers know the ins and outs a lot better than we do, so if they are going to use Guardians, they have the rights to Guardians.

All that being said, Guardians in ToT is the worst. I've said it before, but it deserves to be repeated. I hate this idea. I could accept them taking over RnRC. I would prefer just something entirely new.

Cesar R M

The New Fantastic Four (Hulk, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider) is still one of the most gloriously 90s inventions from Marvel, and I love it. The only thing more "90s" from Fantastic Four was Invisible Woman's weird "4 cleavage" costume.
Meh, I'm more interested in the Foundation 4.
I still wonder why the hell Spiderman has been member of both Xmen (as teacher) AND fantastic four (as assistant and caretaker)

lazyboy97o

Lutz's attitude towards Disneyland is exactly why there is a reactionary push towards these types of quick and cheap projects. He never argued from any sort of theory of theme. His biggest concern with these types of projects was if a person he liked was in change and the expense, the more lavish the better and doubly better if it was more than Walt Disney World was spending. So long as its overly expensive and ornamented the "committed" Disneyland locals will hop on board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom