Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

SirLink

would have thought Disney would override this when they bought the rights, but fair enough. Guardians isn't really enough to build on in my opinion, it wasn't as successful as avengers.

Firstly it made $750million+ at the box office, not to be sneezed at and was deemed successful.
Secondly all the villains from GOTG movie are part of the Fantastic Four family, including I believe Rocket and Drax. So they can't do much with those either.

njDizFan

I can't see that if this moves forward it won't impact both Flordia and California versions.

If one of the main reasons to change was to avoid the licensing fee it would not make sense. At least now you are paying to license 2 rides and splitting costs between TDO and TDA. If DHS was left alone Orlando would have to foot the bill completely.

Although this reason always seemed to be the secondary or tirtiary impetus to shoehorning Marvel on the cheap

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
would have thought Disney would override this when they bought the rights, but fair enough. Guardians isn't really enough to build on in my opinion, it wasn't as successful as avengers.
There is no override. As in none.

Guardians - at least some of them - are not part of the contract. Hence they're already in DHS. But I'm not really into the details of the Marvel Universe thing.

Avengers are planned to end up in IOA.

matt9112

Which we will then see how important $$$$$ is to the suits running the company, because unless Disney can find a way to convince a judge that Comcast has breached the contract, the price paid for Lucasfilms will pail in comparison to what Comcast will ask Disney to pay.

Disney wI'll have to finance universals third Florida theme park (not volcano bay)

matt9112

Because theming matters.

It's the difference between this:

View attachment 134929

And this:

View attachment 134927

Tower of Terror is WDW's best attraction. From the moment you see it from a distance to the moment you exit through the gift shop, it gets so many things so right. The stroll from the entrance of Disney Hollywood Studios, down Hollywood Boulevard, and then onto Sunset Boulevard is "the Hollywood that never was and always [should] be.' Tower of Terror is the ideal destination to that journey. For a theme park based on Hollywood's Golden Age, Tower of Terror is perfect.

Why oh why does Bob Chapek want to mess with that unless he has no freakin' clue about what is meant by theme park. :banghead:

Not to trump your valid points but isn't the system of up and down completely different? Don't normal drop rides use pressure to shoot you up and gravity itself drops you where tower of terror is sort of a real elevator and uses motors to push you down faster than gravity?

matt9112

But isn't the goal to get it into DCA? The fact that it is being considered for the Studios is a side effect in order to split costs. No one is looking at this based on what makes sense for the Studios. If they were, there are dozens of better options. The California cart is driving the Florida horse.

California always drives the cart but Florida pays for it.

imperius

I thought Universal wan't allowed to have attractions based on the MCU. Even so, why would they want to promote a series of highly successful disney films?
Because Universal having MCU rides brings people to the park where they spend money. Disney making more money off the movies doesn't hurt universal at all. We will also see if the MCU is allowed once Hulk reopens

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But look at how much they already ruined? What makes you think there's some red line that says do not cross? If so this is syria.
This would be an unprecedented move. ToT is an icon of the park and a top 5 attraction in all of WDW. They have never ruined any ride this popular. Most of the past changes either replaced a less popular ride or replaced a moderately popular ride with something bigger and better. They have never ruined a true headliner.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This would be an unprecedented move. ToT is an icon of the park and a top 5 attraction in all of WDW. They have never ruined any ride this popular. Most of the past changes either replaced a less popular ride or replaced a moderately popular ride with something bigger and better. They have never ruined a true headliner.

Iger's just getting started... I'd ordinarily say get the popcorn but in this case the scotch is more appropriate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No prize answer- one of the "cosmic" entities, like the Grandmaster or the Beyonder, just thinks a 1930s hotel would be a neat challenge for the Guardians. Heck, if Star Trek can have a planet that never encountered Earth and yet STILL looks like an old gangster movie....
I'm sure if this gets done they will have some ridiculous story to try to make it fit. It is still ruining a nearly perfect attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom