'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I'm hearing rumblings that although pictures in the concept art, the MDP and 8TRAX buildings are coming down. The items inside being stored are getting cleared out in prep for work in May. Can any insiders comment?

71jason

Talked to a guy at Splitsville over the weekend. He said business there has been "hit or miss," and that a lot of bartenders have already left "for better jobs." This for a place not even open 5 months, with Christmas and Spring Break in that period. Tellingly, the back bar upstairs has already been shuttered except for Thursday (CM night) and special events. Does not sound like a market ready for even more table service restaurants.

Something else he said really struck me. The one bar making a lot of money is the downstairs patio--however, because so many use it as a walk-up drink stand, tips are really low, averaging under 10%. This got me thinking. The critical mistake JT and others seem to make is equating DTD guests with WDW park guests. I think the majority of DTD guests are there because they don't want to spend the money to be in a park. Low-cost things do fine--ice cream, candy, $10 plush, the $2 mini carousel, walk-up drink stands, quick-serve sandwiches, McDonalds. But if the majority of DTD guests had the money needed for bowling and overpriced burgers at Splitsville, they'd probably just add a 5th or 6th day to their MYW ticket (or add a hopper option and head to MK or EPCOT once AK and DHS close). I don't know that it will be that easy to change the DTD demographic.

wdw71fan

Talked to a guy at Splitsville over the weekend. He said business there has been "hit or miss," and that a lot of bartenders have already left "for better jobs." This for a place not even open 5 months, with Christmas and Spring Break in that period. Tellingly, the back bar upstairs has already been shuttered except for Thursday (CM night) and special events. Does not sound like a market ready for even more table service restaurants.

Something else he said really struck me. The one bar making a lot of money is the downstairs patio--however, because so many use it as a walk-up drink stand, tips are really low, averaging under 10%. This got me thinking. The critical mistake JT and others seem to make is equating DTD guests with WDW park guests. I think the majority of DTD guests are there because they don't want to spend the money to be in a park. Low-cost things do fine--ice cream, candy, $10 plush, the $2 mini carousel, walk-up drink stands, quick-serve sandwiches, McDonalds. But if the majority of DTD guests had the money needed for bowling and overpriced burgers at Splitsville, they'd probably just add a 5th or 6th day to their MYW ticket (or add a hopper option and head to MK or EPCOT once AK and DHS close). I don't know that it will be that easy to change the DTD demographic.

DTD (Disney springs) needs more restaraunts, etc.... What it didn't need was a confusing bowling-alley-food-mix-concept-that-is-hard-to-grasp-by-the-unfamiliar..

Splitsville is having a bit of a identity issue, but it should self-correct at some point...

jt04

DTD (Disney springs) needs more restaraunts, etc.... What it didn't need was a confusing bowling-alley-food-mix-concept-that-is-hard-to-grasp-by-the-unfamiliar..

Splitsville is having a bit of a identity issue, but it should self-correct at some point...

Bingo. As Disney Springs develops over the next couple years Splitsville will be one of the biggest beneficiaries. All in good time. This is why they built in plenty of restaurant capacity IMO. A bit overbuilt perhaps but not in the long-run. Or on weekends.

Lexxweb

It's all about parking by Bloomingdales :)

Bwahahaha literally dead at this comment. This is where I park. High-five!

Yeah, when it comes to Millenia stay away from main entrances like the area by Cheesecake Factory or the food court. Park by Bloomingdales or Neiman Marcus.

articos

I think summer is going to be when we'll see how Splitsville will do over the longer term.

dcibrando

I think summer is going to be when we'll see how Splitsville will do over the longer term.

I still can't believe they have that big of a building and only have a small amount of lanes.
I still can't believe DIsneyQuest is still around and they are keeping it??? (I assume)

They should build a mini-golf course at Disney Springs as well IMO

CDavid

Rail, except in very densely populated areas just makes no sense.

That is actually a very common myth. Not everyone is traveling only between major destinations.

The cancelled NJ-NYC tunnel project was ill conceived and poorly designed, and so far from an ideal solution it was actually better this particular project didn't go forward. A new tunnel is desperately needed, but one that serves both commuter and intercity transportation. The worst possible outcome would have spent billions on the NJ Transit tunnel project only to see Amtrak need billions more for its own new tunnel into New York's Pennsylvania station. In addition, at some point down in Baltimore you either build a new tunnel or you stop running trains through the city.

While you don't need to want a national interconnected High-speed rail network, you absolutely do need a national interconnected conventional (79 to 110 mph) passenger rail network. For example, there are various proposals for a Jacksonville to Miami high-speed corridor, and also a Savannah (GA) to the Carolinas corridor, but obviously some people may want to travel north out of Jacksonville or south from Savannah.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I grew up in Florida and have lived in Indiana for the last 14 years and my wife is from Wisconsin. I joined her work's bowling league (even though I'm a mediocre, straightball, split converting bowler) since I couldn't handle watching people bowl and had to at least participate. Anyhoo, as a result of this cultural exploration, I think Splitsville's success will partly depend on when us midwestern tourists notice it and then what we think of the lanes when used. Are they regulation length? Are they oiled adequately? How much will it cost to fly my ball down? Do I have room for shoes, cuz there ain't now way I'm wearing rentals...If the lanes aren't a good bowling experience there is too much fun to be had elsewhere in the area. I'm also not sure if the other entertainment offerings at Splitsville are enough for long term success, but they could be. What are the opinions on the food from people who have eaten there?

articos

I still can't believe they have that big of a building and only have a small amount of lanes.
I still can't believe DIsneyQuest is still around and they are keeping it??? (I assume)

They should build a mini-golf course at Disney Springs as well IMO
The money's in the alcohol sales and food, not the lanes, for this particular concept. So they run the numbers and put less space for lanes, more space for drinking. The question is whether people will come in to drink. DQ will be there until another use is proposed for the building that will make more revenue, as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think Splitsville's success will partly depend on when us midwestern tourists notice it and then what we think of the lanes when used

These places do not attract the 'regular' bowlers - they are too expensive and don't cater to their needs. This needs to be thought of like trivia at the bar.. or pool tables.. a foose table.. etc. The bowling is just there as a theme and gimmick to make it so it's just not the same bar+food on every other corner. It's their 'thing' to differentiate themselves and make the location an entertainment venue and not just a bar.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
These places do not attract the 'regular' bowlers - they are too expensive and don't cater to their needs. This needs to be thought of like trivia at the bar.. or pool tables.. a foose table.. etc. The bowling is just there as a theme and gimmick to make it so it's just not the same bar+food on every other corner. It's their 'thing' to differentiate themselves and make the location an entertainment venue and not just a bar.

Makes sense. *Makes mental note to not discuss something at WDW not yet experienced*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom