'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

WDW1974

Actually they are. Massively near MSG and also under Grand Central Station for the Long Island Railroad and other connections. New station and lines in lower Manhattan etc.

Yes, they are. Much of it had to do with 9/11 as well ... connecting Manhattan and NJ was a no-brainer, but the word 'taxes' has somehow become an evil word (I love how they call them 'revenues' now ... what a blanking joke!)

But seriously, you can't be seriously suggesting a national interconnected HSR network can you. Even Biden isn't pushing that arcane idea anymore as we are on the verge of automated personal travel.

I don't know what is more funny, suggesting national rail instead of building regionally in areas where it makes sense, or you believing that we're going to see cars driving themselves in the next 30 years in the USA. Or are you suggesting Bondian jetpacks because I want me some of those!

djlaosc

I would hope not. It was a true hit for NBC last fall (when NBC was first in the ratings, not last). I don't like when shows that have storylines that are not contained in an episode disappear for four months like Revolution did. But I enjoyed last night's outing, even if both of the major 'twists' were pretty much telegraphed. I don't see any way that Revolution doesn't get a full pick up for next season.

The Voice got a 4.8 last night (up from a 4.2 for its Season 3 premiere), so unless people were just checking it out to see how Shakira/Usher did instead of Cee Lo/Christina, then it's going to continue to have a good lead in...

Based on the fact that it is likely that NBC will be renewing shows that have hit a 1.1, Revolution is going to be safe for next season - it just depends on whether they decide to have a split season (like this one) or whether they do a January-May season straight through like LOST, and whether they're going to keep it behind The Voice or not.

I'm going to watch/record it on Friday (we get the first two episodes) and see what I think.

the.dreamfinder

No you really do not. You just think you do.
So I should want this??
trafficon405freeway.jpg

jt04

You're cute JT, NYC is merely a tiny piece of America's infrastructure puzzle, albeit a very large piece. However when judging the nation as a whole, we have a poorly maintained and designed transit network.

Except for those vehicles called airplanes. Rail, except in very densely populated areas just makes no sense. And certainly a national interconnected grid of HSR will never happen.

jt04

Yes, they are. Much of it had to do with 9/11 as well ... connecting Manhattan and NJ was a no-brainer, but the word 'taxes' has somehow become an evil word (I love how they call them 'revenues' now ... what a blanking joke!)

I don't know what is more funny, suggesting national rail instead of building regionally in areas where it makes sense, or you believing that we're going to see cars driving themselves in the next 30 years in the USA. Or are you suggesting Bondian jetpacks because I want me some of those!

You will see automated cars by 2022. Less than 10 years and maybe sooner. Even more profound is that I think you will see automated personal air travel for medium distances (200-400 miles) in conjunction with the same technology. It is happening quickly.

WDW1974

Except for those vehicles called airplanes. Rail, except in very densely populated areas just makes no sense. And certainly a national interconnected grid of HSR will never happen.

Won't happen because we're Americans ... rugged individuals and you'll pry these car keys from our cold dead collective hands ... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

How y'all enjoying that $4.25 a gallon gas? What is that you say, your employers are covering that with raises ... oh, no, must have misheard!

WDW1974

You will see automated cars by 2022. Less than 10 years and maybe sooner. Even more profound is that I think you will see automated personal air travel for medium distances (200-400 miles) in conjunction with the same technology. It is happening quickly.

No, JT, you won't. ... But I am not gonna do a back and forth with you on the future. You should take this over to Sotto's thread, I'm sure he's got some opinions.

jt04

Even rural areas of Japan and Europe are served with high quality rail service in addition to highways.

But the rural areas are still never far from a major city. HSR makes sense in such population densities. If California had 80 million people, HSR would make more sense. In the states, air travel is the most efficient.

jt04

No, JT, you won't. ... But I am not gonna do a back and forth with you on the future. You should take this over to Sotto's thread, I'm sure he's got some opinions.

Well I will probably still be here in 2022 since I have already been here for over 10 years. :eek: So I think we have a wager. Talk to you in 2022 while I am on my computer in my self navigating car on my way to WDW.

the.dreamfinder

But the rural areas are still never far from a major city. HSR makes sense in such population densities. If California had 80 million people, HSR would make more sense. In the states, air travel is the most efficient.
You know how many people travel between LA and SF every year?? What's that... you don't??
Here
There are many, many more who drive up and down the golden state in addition to those who fly it and ride CalTrans. There is a tremendous amount of demand for rail service that is faster. However, the initial up front cost is expensive, but so were the railroads, the electricity grid, and the highway system and look how successful those were in improving quality of life.

jt04

You know how many people travel between LA and SF every year?? What's that... you don't??
Here

There are many, many more who drive up and down the golden state in addition to those who fly it and ride CalTrans. There is a tremendous amount of demand for rail service that is faster. However, the initial up front cost is expensive, but so were the rail roads, electricity grid, and highway system and look how successful those were in improving quality of life.

Think about this. What if you could drive 4 or 5 miles to a micro airport then board an automated airplane (heard of UAVs?) for 2 to 4 passengers (yes, no pilot) and land within 4 to 5 miles of any destination in the state where your Zipcar awaits or someone is there to meet your party. Kind of makes the hassle of HSR seem extreme.

That is the future and the technology already exists.

G00fyDad

Think about this. What if you could drive 4 or 5 miles to a micro airport then board an automated airplane (heard of UAVs?) for 2 to 4 passengers (yes, no pilot) and land within 4 to 5 miles of any destination in the state where your Zipcar awaits or someone is there to meet your party. Kind of makes the hassle of HSR seem extreme.

Sorry to butt in here, however.... have you seen a UAV take off and land? In person? I have. I don't want my *** strapped into one of those things. LOL ;)

the.dreamfinder

You do realize the price of Oil is going to go through the roof and that regional airlines are notoriously unprofitable because of those fuel costs. There may be one day where future CEOs can only fly or ride first class (boo hoo!!) because jet fuel is too expensive. Sure aircraft will be getting more and more efficient, which is a good thing, but electrification of planes is a long ways off and that's the only real way for your example to work under.
Reality misses you, it wants you back!

lazyboy97o

Yep. While I didn't like the plans for HSR in Florida, I did think they could have been played with and turned into a workable solution.
It could not have been made workable because the federal funding was all or nothing for high speed rail which made absolutely no sense for the route. It was wholly conceived to attract federal funds with no thought given to proper transit layering and the future. Conventional rail would have made the trip in roughly the same time (this isn't Japan so 5-10 minutes difference is almost negligible) with significantly less in start-up and operational costs, but that was a no go because it didn't fit the flashy image that the funding was about.

Finding ways to maintain sprawl is not a solution.

the.dreamfinder

It could not have been made workable because the federal funding was all or nothing for high speed rail which made absolutely no sense for the route. It was wholly conceived to attract federal funds with no thought given to proper transit layering and the future. Conventional rail would have made the trip in roughly the same time (this isn't Japan so 5-10 minutes difference is almost negligible) with significantly less in start-up and operational costs, but that was a no go because it didn't fit the flashy image that the funding was about.
http://www.joplinglobe.com/national...ficials-rebuffed-proposal-from-French-railway
I have similar concerns about California's HSR because going through the central valley as opposed to running alongside I-5 just seems stupid and reeks of political medling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom