I can't stand the abbreviations

zurgandfriend

Today I read an on-line article concerning a soccer player (or footballer if you prefer) and his significant other. In the article the author used the acronym WAGs several times. I’ll admit I had to goggle the term as the only WAG I was familiar with was that of a dog’s tail.
I read through the comments section of the article and no one complained about or criticized the use of acronyms and no one demanded explanation.
Why are we so blessed here?

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
What I always find so bizarre about these threads when they pop up is how many people rush to defend a writing style that is less intelligible and more difficult to understand simply in effort to save a couple keystrokes.

Sure, it can be defended by the old "everybody's doing it" rationale, but to many people over the age of 14 that seems like a pretty silly defense.

In spite of the common use of abbreviations online, when you are communicating solely through the written word it is helpful to write things that actually make sense to the most number of people with the least amount of confusion. Why would you NOT want to do that?

THIS :animwink:

devoy1701

how much longer will we be going back and forth on this? abbreviations are larger than just this website and it's part of today's society. Join in, learn the abbreviations, then you'll be part of the club and rolling your eyes at the next newbie who brings it up.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What I always find so bizarre about these threads when they pop up is how many people rush to defend a writing style that is less intelligible and more difficult to understand simply in effort to save a couple keystrokes.

Sure, it can be defended by the old "everybody's doing it" rationale, but to many people over the age of 14 that seems like a pretty silly defense.

In spite of the common use of abbreviations online, when you are communicating solely through the written word it is helpful to write things that actually make sense to the most number of people with the least amount of confusion. Why would you NOT want to do that?
Are you suggesting that we should also start using self contained underwater breathing apparatus instead of the commonly accepted "scuba"? After all someone might not know what scuba means and we must do every thing we can to write to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Maybe we should also request that people no longer use the initalisim Washington DC and opt for the more correct and spelled out District of Columbia. That would also mean that the initialisms used for TV stations such as CNN, CBS, ESPN and the like should be dropped from the vernacular as well.

Initialisms, acronyms and abbreviations are simply part of the language.

devoy1701

Are you suggesting that we should also start using self contained underwater breathing apparatus instead of the commonly accepted "scuba"? After all someone might not know what scuba means and we must do every thing we can to write to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Maybe we should also request that people no longer use the initalisim Washington DC and opt for the more correct and spelled out District of Columbia. That would also mean that the initialisms used for TV stations such as CNN, CBS, ESPN and the like should be dropped from the vernacular as well.

I love how you get to you this one every couple months! You keep that card handy!

vonpluto

And, if we have to type everything out, we could not use old standbys like "SNAFU', "FUBAR" and the classic "?, over".
:lol:

wolf359

Are you suggesting that we should also start using self contained underwater breathing apparatus instead of the commonly accepted "scuba"?

Acronyms like Scuba, Radar, Laser, and Epcot are a different issue from the use of abbreviations I was talking about.

After all someone might not know what scuba means and we must do every thing we can to write to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Seriously? Now you're attacking the act of writing out whole words as a concession to appeal to the lowest common denominator?

I suppose proper spelling, grammar, and sentence structure are only for the benefit of the ignorant as well.

Sure they are, but only one part. I know you're read just as many posts as I have that were made up almost completely of abbreviations tied together by badly used conjunctions. I'm not saying someone is lazy just because they drop a "TTC" into their post or should feel stupid for being the millionth person to ask "what does TDO mean?"

What I am saying is that there can be a middle ground, and nothing is really lost by using fewer abbreviations if it make a post easier to read.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Seriously? Now you're attacking the act of writing out whole words as a concession to appeal to the lowest common denominator?
I was not attacking it at all you were.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At the end of the day, things won`t change. Learn the lingo, learn to skip it, or live with it. Harsh but fair.

IMHO. :D

DisneyDude10

Nope, it's not just you.

While I appreciate the effort that went into creating that huge list of abbreviations I find it a bit much to have to whip out the WDWMagic decoder ring every time I run across a post written by someone too lazy to use all of the letters needed to spell a word.

This post literally made me lol
:ROFLOL:
Because we are all Disney geeks. You know you went ahead and printed them out!! All of us that don't know them did too.

"Decoder ring"! Your killin me smalls!

AlishaMisha

I agree with it being lazy to not learn them. For me, I think if you truly know WDW you would already know them, it comes naturally.

As for the comment about it turning new-comers away, don't you think the immense amount of hostility of the members on this site is a bigger turn-off than abbreviations? :shrug: If you want to be welcoming then the majority of people on here need to learn how to be positive and not turn everything into a fight. I am a member of some other forums and one in particular catches my eye. It's so positive that when you see something negative it is actually shocking. And things over here are only getting worse. Each and every person who comes on here see what attitudes are acceptable to have and in return show those attitudes as well. If we all try to just be a tad less rude or harsh then we could make this a better. But something tells me that you all just want to continue complaining about something and not do anything to fix it...

loveofamouse

If this topic comes up that often, then it's a bigger problem than most on here realize. Just saying.

Not a common problem if it's just ONE person bringing it up a few times a year despite the number of members. Have you looked at the member count.....or is that too much research for you? For the number of members this site has, it is a SMALL fraction that actually complain about abbr. They are just a LOUD few.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom