I can't stand the abbreviations

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
Am I the only one that, no matter how long I'm on this site, I just can't remember all the abbreviations. It really sucks when someone is giving great advise, but the whole post is full of them and I just can't follow. Is it really that hard to type out Spaceship Earth? :shrug:

Sorry, I'm sure I'm the only one. :wave:

_Scar

I learned them eventually. I don't think they're too bad when you consider every D usually stands for Disney and the hotels are pretty recognizable.

Is there a roundup of all the abbreviations on this site? If not, there should be.

sponono88

It's confusing in the beginning but over time you do get used to it. For example, it's a lot easier to type TTA as opposed to Tomorrowland Transit Authority..

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I guess the people here are just too lazy to type everything out completely and properly.

The bad thing is that a lot of people who type things out have such bad spelling and grammar that you can't figure out what they are trying to say. :shrug:

wolf359

Sorry, I'm sure I'm the only one. :wave:

Nope, it's not just you.

While I appreciate the effort that went into creating that huge list of abbreviations I find it a bit much to have to whip out the WDWMagic decoder ring every time I run across a post written by someone too lazy to use all of the letters needed to spell a word.

Arbok

As a new user, its very confusing! Sometimes I just shrug and give up. I don't really understand it for the shorter named attractions too.

Doing abbreviations Pirates of the Caribbean as PotC, or simply Pirates, I'm okay with... but does it take that long to type out Haunted Mansion that it needs to be abbreviated as HM?

Phonedave

While I cannot stand when people use 'u' 'r' 'ur' (that one really bugs me) I do use Disney abbreviations quite a bit. I refuse to use DD and DS (dear daughter / dear son or sometimes darling instead of dear)

Maybe it's because I work in telecom. I think telecom is second only to the military in it's use of appreviations. We even have nested ones.

Using WDW short hand becomes second nature over time.

-dave

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
So glad to see it wasn't just me. The short versions of the words is confusing to me, and I'm in Louisiana where we shorten everything we say. Laugh out Loud (I had to do that) haha

sbkline

I agree to some extent. I try to keep the abbreviating down to a minimum, using it mostly to refer to the resorts, or to something that would be really long to type. For example, it's alot easier to type TTA than to type out Tommorrowland Transit Authority. However, "Small World" isn't that hard to type out, so I typically wouldn't abbreviate that one. And what does "SM" mean? Space Mountain or Splash Mountain? LOL Sometimes, I'll spell it out the first time, and then abbreviate it thereafter. Like if I say I'm gonna stay at the Wilderness Lodge, then the next time I reference that resort in the same thread, I may use "WL".

The one that really bugs me more than anything else is the whole DS, DD, DW, and DH crap that everyone uses. I really don't think "my son" takes so much effort to type that you have to shorten it to DS. Including the space, you're only saving 4 characters. Really, are we that lazy? We can't just say "my husband" or "my wife"? It has to be DH and DW? Come on, folks! Especially when people then proceed to put the ages behind it, too. Such as DS12 (12 year old son), DD14, etc. Really, it sounds like their talking about some droid from Star Wars and not their own flesh and blood. Just say "my daughter", or "my 14 year old", for Heaven's sake!

Saintsfan75

Original Poster
I agree to some extent. I try to keep the abbreviating down to a minimum, using it mostly to refer to the resorts, or to something that would be really long to type. For example, it's alot easier to type TTA than to type out Tommorrowland Transit Authority. However, "Small World" isn't that hard to type out, so I typically wouldn't abbreviate that one. And what does "SM" mean? Space Mountain or Splash Mountain? LOL Sometimes, I'll spell it out the first time, and then abbreviate it thereafter. Like if I say I'm gonna stay at the Wilderness Lodge, then the next time I reference that resort in the same thread, I may use "WL".

The one that really bugs me more than anything else is the whole DS, DD, DW, and DH crap that everyone uses. I really don't think "my son" takes so much effort to type that you have to shorten it to DS. Including the space, you're only saving 4 characters. Really, are we that lazy? We can't just say "my husband" or "my wife"? It has to be DH and DW? Come on, folks! Especially when people then proceed to put the ages behind it, too. Such as DS12 (12 year old son), DD14, etc. Really, it sounds like their talking about some droid from Star Wars and not their own flesh and blood. Just say "my daughter", or "my 14 year old", for Heaven's sake!

DS, DD, DW, and DH are the worse! Good call there!

DDEPILLO

I love this thread, I thought I was the only one, I didn't want to say anything cause I didn't want to seem like a rookie :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom