11 Night Mediterranean Cruise – Mouse style!

11 nights in the Mediterranean!! With the Mouse!!:sohappy:

I got a last minute travel agent special too great to pass up! Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Disney cruises. This was my fifth! When this deal came out, I was scrambling to make it work.

Dh couldn’t get off work for two weeks, but he was beyond sweet and told me to go ahead! I knew the kids would love it too, but there was no way Ds15 could miss two weeks of high school. Dd12 however, no problem! I talked to Ds who insisted he could go at first. After a week passed, I decided to talk to him again.

The conversation went like this –

“So, about this cruise…” – Me
“Mmhmm” – Him
“You know there’s no way you can miss two weeks of school, don’t you?” –Me
“Yeah, I know.” – Him
“So you won’t be bitter if I go?” – Me, sounding hopeful
“No, I guess not.” – Him
“Would you be bitter if I took your sister?” – Me
After an eternal silence – “No, but you’re going to have to buy me off.” – Him (obviously my child):lookaroun

Now, who else to bring? My parents were tempted, but Mom felt like it was someone else’s turn since she took advantage of the last travel agent special cruise with me. I started talking to friends, and one, Debbie, didn’t hesitate, she was in! She didn’t mind taking her dd14 out of school for this kind of opportunity. And bonus, she has a ds17 who could commiserate with my ds15 while we were gone. We talked to the girl’s teachers and got the green light. Woo hoo!

My parents were still toying around with going. I checked the military specials and there was a great one. They got a category 5, verandah, for an 11 night cruise for $2300. Total. For two people. :eek: Pretty amazing!
I realized my in-laws wouldn’t want to pass that up either, so they booked a verandah too.

Here we all are. These photos are your teasers for different parts of the trip!

Dd and I:
2MedCruiseMalta119.jpg

Debbie and her dd:
3MedCruise017.jpg

My parents:
5MedCruise102.jpg

My inlaws:
7MedCruise274.jpg

The scene was set, we were ready to plan! And we only had about 6 weeks to do it!

About three weeks before the cruise, we got our room assignment. A verandah!! I couldn’t believe it! With all of my cruises, we’d never splurged for one before. We’ve always been happy enough with our portholes. I was crazy excited to try a verandah, though. What a perfect cruise to have one on!:sohappy:

About a week before we left, the Icelandic volcano started to erupt, shutting down European airspace for days. We were flying directly into Barcelona, which thankfully wasn’t immediately shut down. I was pretty worried we weren’t going to make it, and incredibly thankful we purchased trip insurance. I DID NOT want to use it, but it sure provided some piece of mind.

I have to tell you, of all the reasons I thought we might have to use our trip insurance, illness, flight delays, etc., a volcano in Iceland never crossed my mind!:lol:

I had also devised about 13 alternate plans to get there, including – flying into Madrid if it was still open, flying anywhere in Europe we could get to, flying into Morocco and taking the train/ferry/train to Barcelona, and meeting the cruise at any port we could get to.

Well, thankfully, about two days before we left, everything started to open again. Woo hoo, indeed!

After several days spent researching ports and excursions, little bit of shopping, and lots of packing, the big day had finally arrived!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Tuesday, April 27th, Day 6 – Tunisia (Africa!!)

We were going to Africa today! I can’t tell you how excited I was to visit yet another continent. This was Disney’s first time to stop there.

We had done our homework and been warned about the aggressive tax drivers, but we didn’t want to pay for an excursion and decided to risk it anyway.

We ate a nice breakfast at Lumiere’s and got off the ship about 9:00.

I was very excited to see the camels waiting for us!

3MedCruise002.jpg

3MedCruise007.jpg

We had planned on walking to the train station. On our way there after we’d declined about 30 (no exaggeration) cab drivers, one of them finally convinced us. It was a good price and we decided it was worth it.

We split into two cabs (which made my Dad exceedingly nervous) and headed for Sidi Bou Said. This little town was beautiful! It's know for its white walls and blue doors. We walked all over and did a little shopping. I took about 50 blue door pictures!:D

3MedCruise010.jpg

3MedCruise012.jpg

3MedCruise018.jpg

3MedCruise024.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Our cab drivers picked us up two hours later. They insisted on taking us to the top of one of the buildings and I was very glad they did!

3MedCruise061.jpg

3MedCruise064.jpg

3MedCruise068.jpg

3MedCruise071.jpg

3MedCruise073.jpg

He also insisted on taking some pictures with my camera. I'd rented a $1600 lens, and him holding my camera without the strap around his neck made me a lot more nervous then splitting into two cabs!!:lol:

3MedCruise077.jpg

3MedCruise079.jpg

When we arrived back at the port, we paid the drivers and tipped them at their suggestion.:lol:

3MedCruise085.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
This time I couldn't just pass the camels. I mean, how often do you get to ride a camel? The guy said it was 5 Euro for a ride. I only had one coin left, so I asked for just a picture. He was shaking his head no, when Debbie found another coin. So we just kept saying 2 euros, no ride, just a picture. He finally gave in, and acted like we were a big inconvenience.:lol:

3MedCruise086.jpg

I have to say, this picture is one of my favorites just because, like I said, how often can you sit on a camel next to the Magic????:D

3MedCruise093_filtered.jpg

3MedCruise096.jpg

Then the camel owner, whom we were inconveniencing so much, started posing for pictures!!:ROFLOL:

3MedCruise098.jpg

Afterwards we had a late lunch on deck 9, and spent the afternoon swimming, sleeping in the sun, and another Origami class!

This was the note the girls left us on the door. They left us notes all week to tell us where they were. This was their current situation:

3MedCruise101_filtered.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We took some more pictures with characters before dinner. Are you ready for Italian characters? Can you stand it Holly and Jenn?:D

4MedCruise14_filtered.jpg

4MedCruise11.jpg

4MedCruise9.jpg

After dinner, we went to see Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer and the girls got called up! They won a pin and a trophy. Aren't they cool?

4MedCruise27_filtered_filtered.jpg

The show tonight was for special itineraries only. It was called “Once Upon a Song” and was basically just 5 of the entertainers singing. They all had amazing voices and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Afterwards we went to the room to get some sleep! Tomorrow was all day walking in Naples and Pompeii!

stephdanielle

ha I love the camel pictures - that's so neat! The character pictures are all great too, I love seeing everyone in different outfits :)

Glad you enjoyed Tunisia - my trip there wasn't so great but that can mostly be accounted to a bad tour guide. All these great photos and your report in general are making me seriously jealous!! Can't wait for more!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
ha I love the camel pictures - that's so neat! The character pictures are all great too, I love seeing everyone in different outfits :)

Glad you enjoyed Tunisia - my trip there wasn't so great but that can mostly be accounted to a bad tour guide. All these great photos and your report in general are making me seriously jealous!! Can't wait for more!

Thank you stephdanielle! I did hear mixed reviews of Tunisia. I think it totally depended on the excursion you did. In retrospect I probably would have splurged for an excursion there. Ours worked out great, but it just as easily could have gone wrong.

HollyBelle

Tammy, Tammy, Tammy... you are making me increasingly more jealous with each update! Tunisia is absolutely stunning; I can see why you took so many blue door pictures. How could you not? Each door is so ornate and unique. And seriously, it just doesn't get any better than those camel pictures (I had no clue they were so darn tall)!

The character update is like sensory overload for me. The Daisy and Donald outfits are my fave! Daisy really does get more love from the cruise line than the parks. Can't wait for more! :sohappy:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Tammy, Tammy, Tammy... you are making me increasingly more jealous with each update! Tunisia is absolutely stunning; I can see why you took so many blue door pictures. How could you not? Each door is so ornate and unique. And seriously, it just doesn't get any better than those camel pictures (I had no clue they were so darn tall)!

The character update is like sensory overload for me. The Daisy and Donald outfits are my fave! Daisy really does get more love from the cruise line than the parks. Can't wait for more! :sohappy:

You're going to have to try a Med cruise, Holly!

I loved the doors!! And the camel!!:)
Daisy gets so much love on the ship! Tons of different outfits!

Coree

I love that the camel is totally smiling for the camera. :lol: I love all the blue doors. I noticed one building had green on it--rebels!

erstwo

I'm just so happy about this trip report!!! There aren't too many people who can post a report lik this so -Thank you SO much for sharing!

I love your FIL's Auburn hat - WAR EAGLE!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I love that the camel is totally smiling for the camera. :lol: I love all the blue doors. I noticed one building had green on it--rebels!

Total rebels! I actually saw one red door!! Scandalous!:lol:

I'm just so happy about this trip report!!! There aren't too many people who can post a report lik this so -Thank you SO much for sharing!

I love your FIL's Auburn hat - WAR EAGLE!

Thank you for reading erstwo!! War Eagle back at you! Would you believe he got a War Eagle while we were strolling through Malta?:lol:

PeoplemoverTTA

Amazing trip report...can't wait to read the rest! I keep debating whether or not to do a Disney Cruise. Hopefully I'll just stop debating and take one soon :).

cdunbar

I showed my friend what you have done thus far of your trip report and I have her just about convinced to do it around this time next year, and possibly go to a few other places....so I am SO excited to see the rest!:sohappy:

mouselvrmom

Well, I fashion faux pas all the time then. :eek:

:lol: I was just teasing her. I would call her more of a fashion rebel! :D

Ooh, I love the Africa pictures, Tammy! How fabulous! I so love how you talked your way into the camel pictures! And tell Ally that I'm sure a camel couldn't eat two girls in one sitting! :lol:

And, Holly, we totally are going to have to book a med cruise by the time Tammy's trip report is over!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom