Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

MoonRakerSCM

I haven't kept up with this nonsense, but I heard on the radio yesterday that negotiations were going swimmingly and then SAG popped up with a massive demand out of nowhere after a lot of ground had been made? Something about levees on each streaming subscription that will go to SAG?

Negotiating in bad faith... tsk tsk.

Communicora

Premium Member
I haven't kept up with this nonsense, but I heard on the radio yesterday that negotiations were going swimmingly and then SAG popped up with a massive demand out of nowhere after a lot of ground had been made? Something about levees on each streaming subscription that will go to SAG?

Negotiating in bad faith... tsk tsk.

They had always asked for revenue sharing.

You can read more about it The Hollywood Reporter

TsWade2

So it is an anxiety thing that something is broke but you can't fix it but it bothers you a lot. Seems like this and Wish doing really well at the box office are trivial things to have so much anxiety about. Your not invested in either one.

Please don't fixate on the Israel-Gaza war or Ukraine-Russia were people are dying instead of rich people wanting more money.
Oh, cut me some slack! :rolleyes:

TP2000

Original Poster

TsWade2

Maybe the studios don't want to give the actors a cut of the streaming revenue because that would push streaming's eventual profitability out from its current "When Pigs Fly" timeline to a more indefinite "When Hell Freezes Over"?

Ugh! Why bother?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe the studios don't want to give the actors a cut of the streaming revenue because that would push streaming's eventual profitability out from its current "When Pigs Fly" timeline to a more indefinite "When Hell Freezes Over"?

AMPTP is willing to give a cut of the revenue as long as it gets subs to watch, ie the same deal that WGA got. SAG-AFTRA is asking for a cut of all streaming revenue whether a particular show/movie is actually watched or not, ie give me money even if your subs don't like my show/movie and don't watch it.

I agree with AMPTP here, its unreasonable what SAG-AFTRA is asking for. If an actors movie/show doesn't get subs to watch why should they be paid residuals on that.

TalkingHead

So it is an anxiety thing that something is broke but you can't fix it but it bothers you a lot. Seems like this and Wish doing really well at the box office are trivial things to have so much anxiety about. Your not invested in either one.

Please don't fixate on the Israel-Gaza war or Ukraine-Russia were people are dying instead of rich people wanting more money.
Will never not be funny when somebody puts this sentiment on a Disney theme parks forum. You seem really invested in a failed Star Wars hotel. How insensitive to the starving children in Africa.

TsWade2

Nothing has happened yet, so don't fret.

The idea is that they need to complete this deal within the next week. The ball is currently in SAG-AFTRA's court as they have an offer in hand that was presented on Tuesday.
Okay. I’m surprise you replied before I deleted it.

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's an article fleshing out the topic of the Tweet that @Disney Analyst kindly posted.

I guess Hollywood execs take the entire months of November and December off for vacations, and if they don't come up with a deal by next week they'll just pack it in and wait until everyone returns to SoCal in January showing off their Christmas tans?

That seems like a funny way to run an industry, if you ask me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Here's an article fleshing out the topic of the Tweet that @Disney Analyst kindly posted.

I guess Hollywood execs take the entire months of November and December off for vacations, and if they don't come up with a deal by next week they'll just pack it in and wait until everyone returns to SoCal in January showing off their Christmas tans?

That seems like a funny way to run an industry, if you ask me.

The idea is to try to salvage whats left of 2023, if no deal is reached by next week due to how long it takes a production to start and camera's to start rolling 2023 will be lost.

So its not that people take all of Nov/Dec off. Its that say they get a deal done by right before Thanksgiving, of course things couldn't begin until after Thanksgiving. And given it takes at least a couple weeks to get things into production, which would include a break for Christmas, you're looking after the New Year before cameras could start rolling.

TP2000

Original Poster
The idea is to try to salvage whats left of 2023, if no deal is reached by next week due to how long it takes a production to start and camera's to start rolling 2023 will be lost.

So its not that people take all of Nov/Dec off. Its that say they get a deal done by right before Thanksgiving, of course things couldn't begin until after Thanksgiving. And given it takes at least a couple weeks to get things into production, which would include a break for Christmas, you're looking after the New Year before cameras could start rolling.

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. They've got weeks of operational lead time between a signed deal and cameras rolling again.

But I kind of like my scenario better; Bob Iger will be on his yacht in French Polynesia for all of December.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh, okay. That makes more sense. They've got weeks of operational lead time between a signed deal and cameras rolling again.

But I kind of like my scenario better; Bob Iger will be on his yacht in French Polynesia for all of December.
Yep, its not like they can start filming at the drop of a hat. It takes time to get things into production, and the end of the calendar is fast approaching. 2023 has been a blur....

Also I'm sure Iger would like your scenario better too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom