Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Which I said above.

Which I also said above.

They agree with you.

However, their assistants will beat them to the unemployment line.

Assistant jobs are already disappearing. And I've previously provided just a partial list of all the physical production jobs that will go when all production can be done effectively enough not just *on* a computer but *by* a computer.
Whole industries and their jobs have been lost because of advancements during the whole industrial revolution. Did we stop advancement because of that, no we didn't. Industries changed and evolved, and so did their workers.

We as a species continue to evolve and so does the technology around us. Yes there will be people that lose jobs, including in Hollywood, and even my job in tech, they and even myself will just have to evolve with the world around us as we have always done since we were making cave paintings. So maybe a production assistant will have to learn to be a director (which they probably want to do anyways) instead. Or maybe they'll have to learn to be something else outside of Hollywood and continue to evolve. Its all part of this continually evolving world we live in.

But hey, McDonald's is going to be paying better soon in CA than most assistant jobs. So... would you like fries with that?

Oh wait... a computer can take your order. It just can't cook it. Yet.
Actually McDonald's had been testing fully automated kitchens over the last couple years, look it up.

Nothing is guaranteed in life. So if its AI or something else, people will just have to evolve as the world continually changes. Its a harsh reality, but one that many will have to face in the coming decades.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Whole industries and their jobs have been lost because of advancements during the whole industrial revolution. Did we stop advancement because of that, no we didn't. Industries changed and evolved, and so did their workers.

We as a species continue to evolve and so does the technology around us. Yes there will be people that lose jobs, including in Hollywood, and even my job in tech, they and even myself will just have to evolve with the world around us as we have always done since we were making cave paintings. So maybe a production assistant will have to learn to be a director (which they probably want to do anyways) instead. Or maybe they'll have to learn to be something else outside of Hollywood and continue to evolve. Its all part of this continually evolving world we live in.

Actually McDonald's had been testing fully automated kitchens over the last couple years, look it up.

Nothing is guaranteed in life. So if its AI or something else, people will just have to evolve as the world continually changes. Its a harsh reality, but one that many will have to face in the coming decades.
As I said. It's coming and it's not stopping and jobs will be lost. But thanks for agreeing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As I said. It's coming and it's not stopping and jobs will be lost. But thanks for agreeing.
Except you started this whole discussion with a statement like this, which I disagree with....

Disagree. Think it is the inevitable cheap future of entertainment if it is not paused right now by these and coming strikes (video games, IATSE) and the contracts that result. I think AI is the destruction of Hollywood as a physical production medium (CGI has been the stepping stone to that)....

AI is not going to be the destruction of "physical" production in Hollywood, at least in my opinion. I agree that some jobs will be lost, but to completely wipe out Hollywood's physical productions, no. Hollywood, if ever, won't go completely digital in its production. There will still have to be somethings done physically, even if its at digital production facilities like The Volume. Independent movies for example will still continue to produce things in the physical world, as having access to places like The Volume or other digital production facilities is too expensive and AI isn't going to change that.

So yes Hollywood will be transformed by AI, just as it was when other technological advancements happened, such as when synchronized sound was introduced. Or when TVs and home video like VCRs were introduced. Hollywood has survived over 100 years of technological changes, it will survive this too.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Except you started this whole discussion with a statement like this, which I disagree with....

AI is not going to be the destruction of "physical" production in Hollywood, at least in my opinion. I agree that some jobs will be lost, but to completely wipe out Hollywood's physical productions, no. Hollywood, if ever, won't go completely digital in its production. There will still have to be somethings done physically, even if its on a digital production facilities like The Volume. Independent movies for example will still continue to produce things in the physical world, as having access to places like The Volume or other digital production facilities is too expensive and AI isn't going to change that.
There are already AI news anchors and AI influencers against AI/CGI backgrounds. Those are just the test cases. As soon as it can all be made convincingly enough, fake images of fake people in fake places will be created digitally entirely by AI. No physical production required for any of it. Unless it's paused for now by these contract negotiations. But it's simply too easy - and more importantly, cheap - to stop in the long term.

No CEO is going to pay people (who require sick days and vacations and holidays and time off and health care benefits etc.) when the computer can do it for fractions of pennies on the dollar.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There are already AI news anchors and AI influencers against AI/CGI backgrounds. Those are just the test cases. As soon as it can all be made convincingly enough, fake images of fake people in fake places will be created digitally entirely by AI. No physical production required for any of it. Unless it's paused for now by these contract negotiations. But it's simply too easy - and more importantly, cheap - to stop in the long term.

No CEO is going to pay people (who require sick days and vacations and holidays and time off and health care benefits etc.) when the computer can do it for fractions of pennies on the dollar.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. As someone who is right in the middle of this I can tell you it won't get to the point you're alluding to, at least not in our lifetime.

TP2000

Original Poster
Apparently all the kids who recently went to trade school to become plumbers or electricians or mechanics will still have jobs by 2030. And those blue collar jobs pay incredibly well right out of the gate.

The kids who recently went to college and got a degree in "Communications" or "English" might want to consider trade school ASAP.

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's an interesting article on the breakdown in talks that recently happened.

It also serves as a reminder that the Screen Actors Guild has only been on strike since July 14th, about 90 days. The Writers guild was on strike for 148 days.

Phroobar

Apparently all the kids who recently went to trade school to become plumbers or electricians or mechanics will still have jobs by 2030. And those blue collar jobs pay incredibly well right out of the gate.

The kids who recently went to college and got a degree in "Communications" or "English" might want to consider trade school ASAP.
Except you have to put your name on multiple Union books and wait to be hired by most larger companies. It can take upwards of a year or more just to get hired as an electrical lineman from Edison. After that, smooth sailing unless you electrocute yourself.

TsWade2

Basil of Baker Street

\

I think I read where Chipotle has a guacamole robot.

I've always said that everyone should learn a trade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom