Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

DCBaker

Premium Member
Update from Deadline.

"Today’s meeting between SAG-AFTRA and an expanded group of studio CEOs has just ended as the guild scrutinizes the AMPTP‘s long awaited response to their last comprehensive counter.

On this 114th day of the actors strike, the top brass from Netflix, Disney, NBCUniversal, Paramount, Amazon, Sony, Warner Bros Discovery and more spoke with SAG-AFTRA leaders by zoom for approximately an hour to discuss the new document. “This is a full package, forward looking and fair,” a studio insider told Deadline of what the execs put on the virtual table.

“CEOs told them this was a historic package for the guild including strong AI protections,” said an exec close to the negotiations. “SAG-AFTRA now needs to get back to us,” another studio vet stated of where things are.

Currently, guild president Fran Drescher, chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland and other members of SAG-AFTRA’s negotiating committee are going over the AMPTP’s response and conferring on next steps,, we hear. Whether that will result in further discussions later today or tomorrow, November 5, is unclear at the moment. “We’ve all come a long way, so taking the time to go over the guts of this (the proposal) and the fine print is the only responsible way to approach this now,” a well-positioned guild member noted.

The package from the studios is said to include, but not be limited to, the highest wage increase in 40 years, and a 100% increase in performance compensation bonuses for high budget streaming series and movies. As well, so-called “full” AI protections are in there. The last measure “goes a long way to what SAG wanted,” an industry vet says.

How close the parties are to a new three-year contract is hard to assess, sources from both sides say, but once again “cautious optimism” has become the phrase of choice.

Saturday saw a much larger contigent of of studios CEOs zooming in to the talks than ever before for SAG-AFTRA negotiations and WGA deliberations. As they have been on and off over these talks and the final days of the successful WGA talks back in September, the Gang of Four– NBCUni’s Donna Langley, Warner Bros Discovery’s David Zaslav, Disney’s Bob Iger and Netflix’s Ted Sarandos — were all there today. Also attending were Paramount Pictures CEO Brian Robbins, Disney’s Dana Walden and Co-Chairman Alan Bergman, Amazon Studios’ Mike Hopkins and Jen Salke, Sony Pictures chairperson Tony Vinciquerra, Apple Studios’ Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, we’re told.

That showing is indicative of how stressed the studios are to restart Hollywood global TV and film production. Tinseltown has been shut down since the first went on strike in early May and SAG-AFTRA followed in mid-July. Latest economic estimates are that California’s has taken a $6.5 billion hit from the strikes and shutdowns, with over 45,000 entertainment industry jobs lost."

More at the link below.

TsWade2

Update from Deadline.

"Today’s meeting between SAG-AFTRA and an expanded group of studio CEOs has just ended as the guild scrutinizes the AMPTP‘s long awaited response to their last comprehensive counter.

On this 114th day of the actors strike, the top brass from Netflix, Disney, NBCUniversal, Paramount, Amazon, Sony, Warner Bros Discovery and more spoke with SAG-AFTRA leaders by zoom for approximately an hour to discuss the new document. “This is a full package, forward looking and fair,” a studio insider told Deadline of what the execs put on the virtual table.

“CEOs told them this was a historic package for the guild including strong AI protections,” said an exec close to the negotiations. “SAG-AFTRA now needs to get back to us,” another studio vet stated of where things are.

Currently, guild president Fran Drescher, chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland and other members of SAG-AFTRA’s negotiating committee are going over the AMPTP’s response and conferring on next steps,, we hear. Whether that will result in further discussions later today or tomorrow, November 5, is unclear at the moment. “We’ve all come a long way, so taking the time to go over the guts of this (the proposal) and the fine print is the only responsible way to approach this now,” a well-positioned guild member noted.

The package from the studios is said to include, but not be limited to, the highest wage increase in 40 years, and a 100% increase in performance compensation bonuses for high budget streaming series and movies. As well, so-called “full” AI protections are in there. The last measure “goes a long way to what SAG wanted,” an industry vet says.

How close the parties are to a new three-year contract is hard to assess, sources from both sides say, but once again “cautious optimism” has become the phrase of choice.

Saturday saw a much larger contigent of of studios CEOs zooming in to the talks than ever before for SAG-AFTRA negotiations and WGA deliberations. As they have been on and off over these talks and the final days of the successful WGA talks back in September, the Gang of Four– NBCUni’s Donna Langley, Warner Bros Discovery’s David Zaslav, Disney’s Bob Iger and Netflix’s Ted Sarandos — were all there today. Also attending were Paramount Pictures CEO Brian Robbins, Disney’s Dana Walden and Co-Chairman Alan Bergman, Amazon Studios’ Mike Hopkins and Jen Salke, Sony Pictures chairperson Tony Vinciquerra, Apple Studios’ Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, we’re told.

That showing is indicative of how stressed the studios are to restart Hollywood global TV and film production. Tinseltown has been shut down since the first went on strike in early May and SAG-AFTRA followed in mid-July. Latest economic estimates are that California’s has taken a $6.5 billion hit from the strikes and shutdowns, with over 45,000 entertainment industry jobs lost."

More at the link below.
Sounds promising!

TP2000

Original Poster

I love the idea of getting body scanned to be an AI background extra in movies and TV to then live on for all eternity! Where do I sign up for that?!? o_O

I'd do it if they offered a reservation time with free parking and then after you got scanned and entered into the database, they could do a little tour of the studios with a free a t-shirt or coffee mug that says "I will live on forever at Warner Brothers!"

Or better yet, a t-shirt that says "I got duplicated by AI at Warner Brother's, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!"

I'm a childless gay man, and when I'm gone, I'm gone. But it would be fun to think that I could live on in background shots whenever they needed a "WASPy older man in business casual". :cool:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I love the idea of getting body scanned to be an AI background extra in movies and TV to then live on for all eternity! Where do I sign up for that?!? o_O

I'd do it if they offered a reservation time with free parking and then after you got scanned and entered into the database, they could do a little tour of the studios with a free a t-shirt or coffee mug that says "I will live on forever at Warner Brothers!"

Or better yet, a t-shirt that says "I got duplicated by AI at Warner Brother's, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!"

I'm a childless gay man, and when I'm gone, I'm gone. But it would be fun to think that I could live on in background shots whenever they needed a "WASPy older man in business casual". :cool:

You'll never get your SAG card with that type of thinking.....

TP2000

Original Poster
You'll never get your SAG card with that type of thinking.....

I'm fine with that. In my youth I paid a heckuva lot of dues money to the Teamsters, and I all I ever got was a Teamsters ashtray every year at Christmas. :(

I'm about 75% serious on this. I'd be happy to be scanned into a movie studio's AI database if they made it fun and interesting for us. Free parking, easy reservations and smooth processing without lines, plus a free studio tour and a little swag bag and I'd seriously consider it. I bet a lot of other people would too.

Can you imagine the tourists who would want to do that?!? Go see Hollywood and get scanned by a big studio! The studios could really make it a fun event, with a mocked up red carpet arrival and check-in process, a backstage "green room" to wait in before your shoot, a tour that explains the magic behind the technology, etc.

A lot of people would do that just for the fun of the experience I bet.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm fine with that. In my youth I paid a heckuva lot of dues money to the Teamsters, and I all I ever got was a Teamsters ashtray every year at Christmas. :(

I'm about 75% serious on this. I'd be happy to be scanned into a movie studio's AI database if they made it fun and interesting for us. Free parking, easy reservations and smooth processing without lines, plus a free studio tour and a little swag bag and I'd seriously consider it. I bet a lot of other people would too.

Can you imagine the tourists who would want to do that?!? Go see Hollywood and get scanned by a big studio!
Takes privacy concerns to a whole new level.....

I shudder to think of the implications.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Like I said, there's something wrong with the AMPTP and the studios. They need to make a deal fast, or else we're going to be entering an depression era in 2024! 🥺

Update: https://x.com/FilmUpdates/status/1721994142731948078?s=20

Language gets adjusted all the time as the negotiations start coming to an end. This is normal stuff, we're in the end game on this. There will be a new contract in the next couple days and I would hope ratified by the end of next week.

TsWade2

Language gets adjusted all the time as the negotiations start coming to an end. This is normal stuff, we're in the end game on this. There will be a new contract in the next couple days and I would hope ratified by the end of next week.
I know. I presumed you see my update video for saying never mind for my ridiculous doom and gloom moment.

Disney Analyst

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom