Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At this point most studios have to have already written much of 2024 off, given the work stoppage.
I would agree to a certain extent.

Any movie not already or was currently being filmed at time of strike is fall/winter 2024 release at best. TV could be early spring 2024 if they start filming right after the new year.

So 2024 is not all lost, but could be close depending on when a new deal can be agreed upon.

Tha Realest

I would agree to a certain extent.

Any movie not already or was currently being filmed at time of strike is fall/winter 2024 release at best. TV could be early spring 2024 if they start filming right after the new year.

So 2024 is not all lost, but could be close depending on when a new deal can be agreed upon.
Yeah, i should have been more clear. I think stuff in the postproduction queue originally set for an early 2024 release might be okay, so long as all the filming and ADR is done (Snow White?). Stuff like Deadpool 3 which was mid-filming may have some issues making it in 2024 at all (given the postproduction work required). It’s really that spring/summer/fall window I’m most concerned about.

Ripken10

The idea is to try to salvage whats left of 2023, if no deal is reached by next week due to how long it takes a production to start and camera's to start rolling 2023 will be lost.

So its not that people take all of Nov/Dec off. Its that say they get a deal done by right before Thanksgiving, of course things couldn't begin until after Thanksgiving. And given it takes at least a couple weeks to get things into production, which would include a break for Christmas, you're looking after the New Year before cameras could start rolling.
Not to argue the point, but I do know that rotten tomatoes always pointed out that Hollywood was known for taking most of December off.

Here is an exert from one of their december articles talking about it briefly:

"Few industries enjoy taking really, really long extended holiday vacations quite like Hollywood does, so when we get to this time of the year, there’s rarely much in the realm of “movie development news” to discuss."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not to argue the point, but I do know that rotten tomatoes always pointed out that Hollywood was known for taking most of December off.

"Few industries enjoy taking really, really long extended holiday vacations quite like Hollywood does, so when we get to this time of the year, there’s rarely much in the realm of “movie development news” to discuss."
I'm sure it depends on the particular movie/tv show, and even particular studio. FTIA posts updates on stuff in development/production and most years December has stuff being posted. So it at least appears not everyone takes the month off. 🤷‍♂️

TP2000

Original Poster

This seems incredibly inefficient and overly decadent.

I know of no other industry in America that takes an entire month from early December to early January off, just after taking off a week in late November for Thanksgiving.

If they are trying to convince us that actors and studio workers and their bosses are "just like us", taking off the last six weeks of the year isn't the way to do it.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Announcement incoming?

Not yet it seems.

"SAG-AFTRA and the studios don’t have a deal, but they are planning on talking more.

Any agreement between SAG-AFTRA and the studios to end the 106-day strike by the 160,000-strong guild looks almost certain to not be coming tonight, though the two sides are still in deliberations right now. However, it’s our understanding that the guild and the AMPTP have agreed that talks between the parties will go into the weekend — Saturday and Sunday, if necessary.

Whether those talks will continue at SAG-AFTRA’s Wilshire offices or virtual is still TBD, we hear."

More at the link below.

Disney Analyst

Not yet it seems.

"SAG-AFTRA and the studios don’t have a deal, but they are planning on talking more.

Any agreement between SAG-AFTRA and the studios to end the 106-day strike by the 160,000-strong guild looks almost certain to not be coming tonight, though the two sides are still in deliberations right now. However, it’s our understanding that the guild and the AMPTP have agreed that talks between the parties will go into the weekend — Saturday and Sunday, if necessary.

Whether those talks will continue at SAG-AFTRA’s Wilshire offices or virtual is still TBD, we hear."

More at the link below.

Ahh, and tweet is gone.

Talks will continue into the weekend. However, a lot of progress has been made. Actors should be expected to be back at work in November.

Nevertheless, glimmers of hope have started to spread around the industry. Michael Akins, the business agent of IATSE Local 479 in Georgia, told members in an email on Friday afternoon to be ready to return to work sometime in November.

“At this time, we have no concrete information from any studio, but the writing is clearly on the wall that the industry shutdown is in its final days,” Akins wrote. “We are confident that our members will be returning to work within the next few weeks.”

Akins wrote that some productions have already started to reach out to department heads, and that production offices could open as soon as next week.

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/sag-aftra-negotiation-update-1235771151/

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If this ends up with an agreement in the next couple days that means some filming for certain projets could begin sometime in November.

So 2024 may not be lost after all....

TsWade2

Abc Yes GIF by The Bachelorette

TP2000

Original Poster
General Motors just settled with the UAW today, after Ford and Chrysler already had. So now the autoworker's strike is over for all Big Three automakers and Detroit is fully back to work.

You're move, Hollywood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom