Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's a thread for the two big Hollywood strikes; Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA (Actors and Actresses).

As these strikes look like they're going to drag on for months, we can discuss the impact on Disney and its various flagship media groups here.

Latest news from Variety today is that no one is talking to anyone, and everyone is refusing to pick up the phone. 🫤

Last edited:

Phroobar

Who will be left to write the next lazy live action remake of classic animated films? 😉
iu

"I'm sorry Bob. I can't let you release this movie."

Phroobar

Then you scan all the actors like they did in Looker and get Albert Finney to investigate model murders. They really need to remake that movie.

celluloid

Its great news for the big releases like Migration and Ghostbusters Afterlife sequel that come out at the end of this year to have less competition in the theater as their run continues. Most things that were going to be out in Feb or March are going to be pushed back.

MoonRakerSCM

I hope all major involved parties lose out on this with the exception of the effected set and support people (gaffers, mic operators, set building, makeup, catering etc.) that are truly losing from the situation.

TP2000

Original Poster
I hope all major involved parties lose out on this with the exception of the effected set and support people (gaffers, mic operators, set building, makeup, catering etc.) that are truly losing from the situation.

Not to mention a huge chunk of the economy in Los Angeles County and thus California as a whole; hairdressers, dry cleaners, decorators, limo drivers, manicurists, Botox technicians (seriously), physical trainers, bartenders, waitresses, hotel housekeepers, private jet pilots, etc., etc., etc.

TsWade2

Not to mention a huge chunk of the economy in Los Angeles County and thus California as a whole; hairdressers, dry cleaners, decorators, limo drivers, manicurists, Botox technicians (seriously), physical trainers, bartenders, waitresses, hotel housekeepers, private jet pilots, etc., etc., etc.

I’m not a fan of Gavin Newsom, but if he’s the only one to help to end the strikes, then that is a good sign.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Anyone who works in or around the industry who doesn't see that ALL jobs will disappear if AI is allowed to take over the work (because it will be so much cheaper for the studios) is sacrificing the long term for the very short term.

The writers and actors are striking for the future of the industry and ALL jobs.

If it's not stopped, AI will not just take jobs from writers and actors but editors, credits, clearances, casting directors, photographers, hair, makeup, grip, gaffer, dolly, DP, script supervisor, caterer, set decorator, art director, lighting team, sound team, focus puller, AD's, TD's, props, costumers, honey wagon companies, stand-ins, set nurses, studio teachers, composers. lyricists, marketing, runners, PA's, animal wranglers, studio lot maintenance, gardeners, painters, commissary workers (because who needs property when everything is created in one room?). And on and on. Heck, it will come for the executive jobs just as easily. Mickey Mouse (AI) will literally be able to run The Walt Disney Company much cheaper and more efficiently than a CEO/COO/CFO. Anyone applying for a job in the industry is already having to try to get past the algorithm to one of the few HR PEOPLE still left doing that quickly disappearing job.

Machine learning is real and it's fast. It's grown just in the time it's taken me to type this post. Literally every industry job can and will be done by computer and there will be no need for any of those jobs I mentioned above.

There's no time to worry about the dry cleaners and the baristas and hotel valets today if they will have no industry left to support tomorrow.

Nobody will need a car mechanic if people have no jobs to pay for those cars.

These strikes are the line. If crossed, it's not just Hollywood that will disappear. AI can and will do every job in existence - from secretarial to science - short of physical labor (skilled & unskilled) and even manufacturing is being done more and more by technology. Homes can be built by robots. There is already AI "adult entertainment" so even that "work" is replaceable.

Anyone not supporting these strikes - unless you are a plumber or independently wealthy - is in for a rude awakening very quickly. It's not sci-fi. It's here. And it's very likely already too late. We are about to experience the greatest potential technological upheaval in history. It is a fascinating and terrifying time to be living in. Go ahead and call me Chicken Little, but the sky(net) is falling.

1690509794106.png

TsWade2

Anyone who works in or around the industry who doesn't see that ALL jobs will disappear if AI is allowed to take over the work (because it will be so much cheaper for the studios) is sacrificing the long term for the very short term.

The writers and actors are striking for the future of the industry and ALL jobs.

If it's not stopped, AI will not just take jobs from writers and actors but editors, credits, clearances, casting directors, photographers, hair, makeup, grip, gaffer, dolly, DP, script supervisor, caterer, set decorator, art director, lighting team, sound team, focus puller, AD's, TD's, props, costumers, honey wagon companies, stand-ins, set nurses, studio teachers, composers. lyricists, marketing, runners, PA's, animal wranglers, studio lot maintenance, gardeners, painters, commissary workers (because who needs property when everything is created in one room?). And on and on. Heck, it will come for the executive jobs just as easily. Mickey Mouse (AI) will literally be able to run The Walt Disney Company much cheaper and more efficiently than a CEO/COO/CFO. Anyone applying for a job in the industry is already having to try to get past the algorithm to one of the few HR PEOPLE still left doing that quickly disappearing job.

Machine learning is real and it's fast. It's grown just in the time it's taken me to type this post. Literally every industry job can and will be done by computer and there will be no need for any of those jobs I mentioned above.

There's no time to worry about the dry cleaners and the baristas and hotel valets today if they will have no industry left to support tomorrow.

These strikes are the line. If crossed, it's not just Hollywood that will disappear. AI can and will do every job in existence - from secretarial to science - short of physical labor (skilled & unskilled) and even manufacturing is being done more and more by technology. Homes can be built by robots. There is already AI "adult entertainment" so even that "work" is replaceable.

Anyone not supporting these strikes - unless you are a plumber or independently wealthy - is in for a rude awakening very quickly. It's not sci-fi. It's here. And it's very likely already too late. We are about to experience the greatest potential technological upheaval in history. It is a fascinating and terrifying time to be living in. Go ahead and call me Chicken Little, but the sky(net) is falling.

View attachment 733600
You’re joking, right?

TP2000

Original Poster

Couldn't the Hollywood folks learn a new skill to replace their jobs that new technology and changing times took away from them?

Like the Hollywood writers could learn to write computer code, and the Hollywood actors could learn to install solar panels?

AdventureHasAName

View attachment 733600
I think they should learn to code.

TsWade2

It's the end of Hollywood if AMPTP won't hurry up and make a fair and better contract. But it looks like it's unlikely. Man, I hate being negative!😢

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney is getting hammered on all sides right now, the right is upset over them being “woke”, the left is upset about them being “greedy capitalists”… Iger probably wishes he’d stayed retired and was sipping Margarita’s on his massive yacht right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom