Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

Phroobar

I love the idea of getting body scanned to be an AI background extra in movies and TV to then live on for all eternity! Where do I sign up for that?!? o_O
It worked out for Susan Dey in the movie Looker.
iu

DCBaker

Premium Member
Latest update from Deadline.

"The studios have told SAG-AFTRA they need to come to a deal ASAP to save what’s left of the broadcast season and the 2024 Summer movie slate.

About an hour ago, representatives for the AMPTP informed the actors guild that they want to know by 5 pm PT today if a deal is possible or not, we’re told from multiple sources on both sides.

With the fall season already a write-off and numerous movies being moved to new release dates, the studios have told SAG-AFTRA that “the demands of the business of would force us to take a look at what’s on the table,” a well-positioned individual says.

“It’s appropriate to bring this to an end,” a studio insider told Deadline on the flag planted in the sand Wednesday. “This deal is the best of all the guild deals and it’s up to Duncan to sell it to the members,” an C-Suiter declared today of an agreement and SAG-AFTRA chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland.

Another studio source tells us about the deal: “SAG-AFTRA has won.”"

More at the link below.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Deadline reporting a tentative deal has been reached.

"After 118 days of the actors guild being out on strike, SAG-AFTRA and the studios have reached a tentative deal on a new contract that could see Hollywood up and running again within weeks.

The strike will be over as of 12:01 am PT November 9, we hear. Culminating a very dramatic day of studio earnings results and deadlines, the actors guild’s 17-member negotiating committee unanimously voted to recommend a tentative agreement to the SAG-AFTRA board."

TsWade2

Deadline reporting a tentative deal has been reached.

"After 118 days of the actors guild being out on strike, SAG-AFTRA and the studios have reached a tentative deal on a new contract that could see Hollywood up and running again within weeks.

The strike will be over as of 12:01 am PT November 9, we hear."

Finally! 🥹

TsWade2

First of all, I want to say that I am very happy that the actors strike is finally over. It's about time! But as we know that Wish just had a premiere at the El Capitan Theatre today and I feel sad for Jazz Smith who won't be able to go the premiere with Ariana DeBose to the premiere due of the strike, even though it did ended today. Here's the video on what I'm talking about:

TP2000

Original Poster
How quickly can Disney get some of the Wish cast on shows to promote? That is my question.

I was just chuckling about that five hours ago over in The Marvels thread.

I'm not sure what the TV situation is up in Canada, but the broadcast network late night talk shows on the USA's Big Three networks are a weak shadow of their former self.

All three broadcast networks combined have a total nightly audience of only 900,000ish viewers who are in the 25 to 54 age demographic that Nielsen and sponsors aim so heavily at. In a nation of 335 Million people, 900,000 people watching per night spread across three networks is only 0.3% of the population.

Then there are the morning chat/news shows on the same three networks; The Today Show, Good Morning America, and CBS Mornings. Those are more popular than whatever is left of the late night shows, but not by much. As of late October, 2023 the morning viewership is this;

NBC The Today Show = 761,000 daily viewers in 25-54 age demographic
ABC (Disney owned) Good Morning America = 601,000 daily viewers in 25-54 age demographic
CBS Mornings = 477,000 daily viewers in 25-54 age demographic

If you combined the audiences of all of the late night talk shows with all of the morning talk/news shows and pretended that none of those people had watched the same type show in the morning or night, with the current USA population at 335 Million that would equal 0.8% of the population of the United States. (2.7 Million is 0.8% of 335 Million).

Would exposure to 0.8% of the population under the most wildly optimistic of scenarios really make a difference in 2023?

mharrington

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put it, but according to Disney Dining, it seems that if the strike is not settled by the end of the year, then Disney Animation could be completely shut down, similar to what happened when the pandemic shut down all the parks worldwide! Here's the link for the skinny, courtesy of "Frozen" director Jennifer Lee: https://www.disneydining.com/walt-d...te-december-as-actors-strike-sees-no-end-bb1/.

Of course, if the SAG strike is now over, then that means neither Disney Animation nor anything else will have to end, right?

TsWade2

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put it, but according to Disney Dining, it seems that if the strike is not settled by the end of the year, then Disney Animation could be completely shut down, similar to what happened when the pandemic shut down all the parks worldwide! Here's the link for the skinny, courtesy of "Frozen" director Jennifer Lee: https://www.disneydining.com/walt-d...te-december-as-actors-strike-sees-no-end-bb1/.

Of course, if the SAG strike is now over, then that means neither Disney Animation nor anything else will have to end, right?
That is ridiculous! Such nonsense! That reporter is just being an idiot!🙄

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Disney Dining is not an official news site, its a fan created site. It should not be a source of any "news". Not only that but its outdated.

As of 12:01am on November 9th, just over an hour of when I post this, the strike will be officially over.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am relatively confident that the actors will ratify this deal and vote yes. I speak to actors all day at work, they are desperate to be back on the job, and this deal is very good.

I meant to edit that…

It will pass like 95%

The studios completely caved…is the consensus. The big gets being the streaming residuals and AI permission…
Lawyers rejoice!

It’s rare that a union “waits” out the business…but I think it happened here…good for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom