Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

Daveeeeed

That was a lot of words. But essentially I agree conceptually. My point was simply that there is an argument to be made, but as I said in the post you quoted:

That said, and this is something that applies to Epcot purists as well. Themes evolve and change. Just because it isn't on the opening day plaque doesn't mean something can't be done and update/alter the theme.

That doesn't mean we have to like when theme's are updated/altered, but Disney has the right and ability to update their themes for all of their parks. Nothing is permanent.

But again, I don't think Zootopia will be making an appearance in DAK any time soon.
Right, Disney can do whatever they want. They can also not invest anything and people still will go. That’s not the best for us though, as a consumer of a product, and neither would a change of a park’s mission statement like EPCOT is to an inferior one (though it’s really already happened since the late 90’s).

They can do it or anything, but what I’m talking about are the people that are dying for Zootopia to go to AK and not realizing how if they care about themes, consistency, and immersion, they should not want Zootopia anywhere near AK.:geek::hilarious:
I hope your right.
While I do agree, Rodan made the point I've been trying to get out. The theme of the parks can evolve, just like it is with DHS, and is looking to happen to Epcot. Perhaps one day, DAK could go under this evolution of theme as well, and that new theme could be enough to bring in a Zootopia area.
(Also, if not DAK, I could see them using that large parking lot behind Star Tours for a Zootopia area, since it is quite a large space)
Tokyo DisneySea is by far the best park in the world because every inch of that park is on par with WDW’s absolute best theming and execution.

The entire park feels masterplanned in a way that only EPCOT Center was. The difference is that it has stayed consistent and built out its theme further, so everything melds and works together. Theme changes have happened to EPCOT & HWS due to neglect. The original themes (especially EPCOT) were superior if they just continued to expand and flesh them out, and not just throw things together and underinvest like they did. If they have a spectacular idea and they are willing to shell out billions to make it a reality I would be absolutely onboard.

BUT, from a historical standpoint, most likely to get AK to be so different than it is today to fit Zootopia it would need to go through hell, or Animal Kingdom would need another 20+ years for a theme change THAT BIG to properly fit and not to feel haphazard like EPCOT. In most cases, it still would feel like a downgrade unless Disney somehow can rewrite history. Themes have only changed if they are fixing the park from neglect, or playing catch-up from lack of original investment. Currently, AK does not have either issue anymore, so it would be a first.

California Adventure and Animal Kingdom both were under-invested in, but replaced cheapness and expanded properly on their original theme and are now both incredible parks (DCA is sort of backtracking sadly). Walt Disney Studios and Hong Kong Disneyland are just adding IP-lands because the parks were basically non-existent to begin with, there’s not really a theme at all. EPCOT Center was basically just abandoned, and had a few cheap and terrible uses of IPs scattered about, and is now getting an inferior theme to the original ‘World’s Fair’ concept; the new investment will be nice, but it won’t ever be as good as it once was. HWS didn’t exactly need to change its theme, but when the working movie studio pulled out it of the park was sort of forced to. I would say HWS was the only park that it’s nice to have a change, button really won’t have a theme at all; at least it did originally.
Basically, based on Disney’s track record and what’s happening with DCA, we should not hope for a theme change at AK, and if it happens properly it is still unlikely that based on aesthetics alone it could ever fit at AK.
But anyway I’m done ranting haha:hilarious:

Last edited:

ElBendro

Not happening.

There are other things they're surveying in Dinoland that they're looking at more critically. (Why does this land have the lowest guest approval ratings out of any themed land at any Disney park?)

cjkeating

Not happening.

There are other things they're surveying in Dinoland that they're looking at more critically. (Why does this land have the lowest guest approval ratings out of any themed land at any Disney park?)

If that is true I worry about what people are scoring some of the other lands.

JohnD

If Zootopia belongs in AK, so does Orwell's Animal Farm. "But that's a political book!" So? The characters are animals, therefore it belongs, if we're to be consistent. (For the record, I don t think either story belongs.)

Kman101

Management likes to hide in DINOSAUR for a reason there (other than the air conditioning).

I think it's been clear for a while now they're trying to revive Dinoland. Throwing in Donald and calling it "permanent" ... I imagine multiple plans are in consideration for the Dino area? Hopefully they don't cut it. They can't keep resting on their laurels.

Dinorama can't exist as it is forever. It's a blight on the park.

Not happening.

Because it's not "more timeless, more Disney, more family friendly" ;)

The problem isn't having plans. The problem is them following through on them.

Kman101

and here was this (almost entire forum) estatic about getting all there propertys...what you think shareholders wont want there money back? sorry P&R your the easiest scape goat there is.

Yep.

Personally I've had my expectations in check. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It just sucks everytime WDW gets investment something screws it up or puts it in jeopardy. THEY can't afford another 20 years of stagnation and I hope they realize that. If they think what they're doing is enough they're mistaken. We need a slew of announcements in 2019 and 2021 at the very least to make up for two decades of crap or nothing.

We never hear about Anaheim, or Paris, or Tokyo (separate of course) being in jeopardy. Always WDW. I'm sure it affects Anaheim too (Pixar Pier anyone?) but not to the extent it does WDW.

They have to see the short-term increase of guests when they open something new. There has to be a better strategy at play than the one they've relied on for 20+ years. But sadly I'll believe it when I see it.

Why don't they "get it"? Oh, that's right. "Diznee is a bizness" (and they way they operate it sucks)

Disney Maddux

Yep.

Personally I've had my expectations in check. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It just sucks everytime WDW gets investment something screws it up or puts it in jeopardy. THEY can't afford another 20 years of stagnation and I hope they realize that. If they think what they're doing is enough they're mistaken. We need a slew of announcements in 2019 and 2021 at the very least to make up for two decades of crap or nothing.

We never hear about Anaheim, or Paris, or Tokyo (separate of course) being in jeopardy. Always WDW. I'm sure it affects Anaheim too (Pixar Pier anyone?) but not to the extent it does WDW.
I say a Zootopia area gets announced for DAK or DHS at D23 in 2019.
(And this isn't just me hoping, I legit think it will get announced)

Kman101

I say a Zootopia area gets announced for DAK or DHS at D23 in 2019.
(And this isn't just me hoping, I legit think it will get announced)

Isn't Zootopia pretty popular in the Asia parks? I'm really shocked nothing's gone in there. But attractions take time.

I can see Zootopia getting a simulator or dark ride but I think a simulator (sadly) could better convey Zootopia.

But it may get nothing. It could be one of those properties that fell in the middle of development. But who knows?

Doesn't seem like Zootpia's the plan. But we're all kind of just guessing. We get hints and can kind of piece things together .... what I'm trying to do.

I think Zootopia would be an expansion (if it ever happens and I liked Zootopia but I'm not sure it will) and personally refreshing Dinoland and fixing Everest should be the priority for the 20th. As well as a new show in the Tree of Life (just my own thought not something I believe we've ever heard is a plan, but why not?)

I don't think anyone is saying Zootopia is replacing Dinoland though.

Disney Maddux

Isn't Zootopia pretty popular in the Asia parks? I'm really shocked nothing's gone in there. But attractions take time.

I can see Zootopia getting a simulator or dark ride but I think a simulator (sadly) could better convey Zootopia.

But it may get nothing. It could be one of those properties that fell in the middle of development. But who knows?

Doesn't seem like Zootpia's the plan. But we're all kind of just guessing. We get hints and can kind of piece things together .... what I'm trying to do.

I think Zootopia would be an expansion (if it ever happens and I liked Zootopia but I'm not sure it will) and personally refreshing Dinoland and fixing Everest should be the priority for the 20th. As well as a new show in the Tree of Life (just my own thought not something I believe we've ever heard is a plan, but why not?)

I don't think anyone is saying Zootopia is replacing Dinoland though.
The rumor is it either replaces Planet Watch or goes in the land behind Kali.

Also, if we don't get a land I'll be fine, I just want a meet-n-greet (because apparently every single other Disney park can have one but we can't). Like, get rid of Doc McStuffins from Planet Watch and put Judy and Nick in there! You can already meet the Doc at DHS.

Kman101

The rumor is it either replaces Planet Watch or goes in the land behind Kali.

Also, if we don't get a land I'll be fine, I just want a meet-n-greet (because apparently every single other Disney park can have one but we can't). Like, get rid of Doc McStuffins from Planet Watch and put Judy and Nick in there! You can already meet the Doc at DHS.

It's mind boggling there isn't a meet and greet.

I have to imagine there's sone inane reason behind it.

But of course MK has The Incredibles up on floats while in DCA you can actually meet Edna Mode. The difference in operations is sad.

Moana's nowhere to be found either, already holiday exclusive! LOL

I feel like, with that stupid stage show starring Star Wars characters, they'd rather do that and dance parties than have meet and greets. I guess I don't mind as it gives everyone a chance to "see" the characters, but it seems ridiculous the way they run their operations and entertainment.

Kman101

Management likes to hide in DINOSAUR for a reason there (other than the air conditioning).

Honestly a few years ago I totally bypassed Dinoland and didn't even think anything of it! LOL

I was just never the biggest Dinosaur fan. It was fun but Indy was superior so I skipped what I found inferior. They gave it some minor love recently so I've started to ride it again. That and the park does indeed need more rides. It's got a great theme and bones but a few more things would really knock it even further out of the park. I can easily see why Dinoland (and the ugly Dinorama) is a problem. The problem is if they think Donald's Dino-Bash is enough? Or is that just the start of "more timeless, more Disney, more family friendly"?

Disney Maddux

It's mind boggling there isn't a meet and greet.

I have to imagine there's sone inane reason behind it.

But of course MK has The Incredibles up on floats while in DCA you can actually meet Edna Mode. The difference in operations is sad.

Moana's nowhere to be found either, already holiday exclusive! LOL

I feel like, with that stupid stage show starring Star Wars characters, they'd rather do that and dance parties than have meet and greets. I guess I don't mind as it gives everyone a chance to "see" the characters, but it seems ridiculous the way they run their operations and entertainment.
Judy and Nick also only get a meet-n-greet during Christmas. And like you said, they seem to prefer doing it with dance parties only, which is honestly pretty frustrating.

Kman101

Judy and Nick also only get a meet-n-greet during Christmas. And like you said, they seem to prefer doing it with dance parties only, which is honestly pretty frustrating.

I get the appeal of a dance party to young kids. I don't begrudge them (when placed out of my way and in the right spot). But I just find it a lazy way to do it because they don't want to bother with meet and greets. I'm torn because it gives guests a chance to "see" the characters but a meet and greet can be much more personable than trying to grab a character's attention in a loud annoying dance party.

Like they used to put on a stage production in Tomorrowland for Christmas when they had a theater. Now it's all dance parties everywhere. I mean it says it all when they turn a puppet show (maybe it felt dated to some?) into a dance party and call it an attraction!

It's why I'm annoyed by Enchanted Tales with Belle. I wouldn't mind it so much if we had an actual ride, too. But to me, it's in place of one so I don't like it. I don't begrudge it's purpose, just that it seems to be a lazy way to have an attraction. It should be a bonus, and a nice surprise, not a main draw. (Before Belle's defenders come out, I said I don't begrudge the idea, I just don't think it should be the "main draw" other than a restaurant)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom