Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

DancingPhoenix

2. How has DHS lost a cohesive theme? The new theme is entering into the movies and becoming part of it.

While you’re not wrong, by that logic all IP rides are entering the movie and becoming part of it. The original theme of DHS was more of a behind the scenes of movies, and celebrating the old Hollywood that “never was and always will be”.

Po'Rich

How has DHS lost a cohesive theme? The new theme is entering into the movies and becoming part of it.

The theme is too broad to be cohesive. Since almost any topic can be the subject of a movie, a theme of "movies" can itself be anything. Beyond this, I completely agree with DancingPhoenix's explanation:

While you’re not wrong, by that logic all IP rides are entering the movie and becoming part of it. The original theme of DHS was more of a behind the scenes of movies, and celebrating the old Hollywood that “never was and always will be”.

Rodan75

I appreciate your love for Zootopia, and I agree that people should be considerate when addressing difference of opinion. I can also understand your desire to have your favorite movie depicted in some way at WDW.

I love DAK. It is easily my favorite park. The reason why I love DAK is that the theming is so pervasive. All of the lands and attractions reflect the theme of conservation (even Pandora fits this theme). Regardless of whether or not Zootopia is an adult movie or a child's movie or whether or not it reflects human social issues, I think we can all agree that the theme of the movie is NOT about conservation. That said, why would it fit into DAK? The only reason is that the characters are animals. Including Zootopia into Animal Kingdom detracts from the theme and opens the door to the possibility that any animal IP could be included.

So, the reaction you are experiencing to your suggestion that Zootopia should fit in DAK comes from the idea that achieving your desires results in an irrevocable diminishing of the overall theme of the park.

In short, we don't want DAK to go the way of DHS, which has become a park without a cohesive theme.

I think you could argue that the film is about Ecological Interdependence which would link it back to the themes of Animal Kingdom. That said, I like the movie, however, at the moment I don't see how an expression of the Zootopia IP would currently fit within the expression of the Animal Kingdom theme.

I think that is why there is a fundamental disagreement on this topic, there is a clear 'winnable' argument from both sides of the debate.

Daveeeeed

I think you could argue that the film is about Ecological Interdependence which would link it back to the themes of Animal Kingdom. That said, I like the movie, however, at the moment I don't see how an expression of the Zootopia IP would currently fit within the expression of the Animal Kingdom theme.

I think that is why there is a fundamental disagreement on this topic, there is a clear 'winnable' argument from both sides of the debate.
The sky is falling! The sky is not falling! Both are obviously not equal. There is a correct statement; a better one like many things in life.

Zootopia does not fit in Animal Kingdom at all. The park is about man’s relationship with nature and broadly ‘conservation’. Animals are part of nature, but they are not the only thing the park is about (meaning the IP can’t just have animals!), nor is it a justification to add an attraction say like Splash Mountain over because it has animals.

All man-made buildings in the park are overruled by nature. Nature wins. Allegory or not, Zootopia is a movie where animals act as people in a big city. The movie does not sell you on an actual place that could exist in our world like Avatar did, and does not fit in the realistic AK. Style is yet another reason it has no place there (the city clashing with the trees and nature look of the park).

Pandora, contrary to what some people say, fits exceptionally well at the park. Honestly, better than any modern IP land in my opinion. Harry Potter (like the entire IOA) has no relation to the other lands, Star Wars will feel the same way, but Cars Land like Pandora to AK visually fits California, and therefor California Adventure.

The only park Zootopia can remotely even fit inside is Hollywood Studios, but even then the main part about Zootopia are the animals. Sure there are different ecosystems, but the lack of actual animals for something that looks like a city (albeit with some minor differences) could stand a problem, but in HWS it could work better since there is more leeway. How will the land look? Will people magically transform into furry critters? It doesn’t really affect Toontown, but Zootopia is more about the animals than Toontown is, especially to justify it properly fitting in AK. Yet it still feels like something is off in Toontown. The world of Zootopia itself is better for a ride than an entire land unless they can do it because they have a great idea, and not just because they have to base it on a movie like has been happening a lot recently.

Hollywood Studios is a dumping ground for IP, and in my mind that’s fine for a Hollywood-style park, but the park will never have harmony like Tokyo DisneySea, or even what EPCOT and AK have. Zootopia will throw that off at AK, and it would be a real shame.

Sure, it’s my opinion, and everyone should voice theirs, but typically there is a better choice. To me it’s a no brainer: Animal Kingdom is not the right park for anything Zootopia if what we get is the city.

If you don’t care about theming, themes, and storytelling then carry on, but if you do, I challenge everyone who disagrees with me and others to at least reconsider your opinion. The best theme parks successfully transport you to different locations and worlds; the absolute best visually work together from everywhere or nearly everywhere, and they are not self-aware. That’s why Marvel’s rides (Iron Man & GOTG) being located literally at the park and not in the place the park is trying to transport you to feels off, and also why Pixar Pier is such a travesty.
I don’t expect Zootopia to be self-aware like that, but in relation to the rest of the park it won’t fit at all visually as far as storytelling is concerned. Honestly, Star Wars Land at Disneyland will in my mind feel more right at home since it’s basically it’s own genre akin to the other lands in a way. The same cannot be said for Zootopia and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

JohnD

The sky is falling! The sky is not falling! Both are obviously not equal. There is a correct statement; a better one like many things in life.

Zootopia does not fit in Animal Kingdom at all. The park is about man’s relationship with nature and broadly ‘conservation’. Animals are part of nature, but they are not the only thing the park is about (meaning the IP can’t just have animals!), nor is it a justification to add an attraction say like Splash Mountain over because it has animals.

All man-made buildings in the park are overruled by nature. Nature wins. Allegory or not, Zootopia is a movie where animals act as people in a big city. The movie does not sell you on an actual place that could exist in our world like Avatar did, and does not fit in the realistic AK. Style is yet another reason it has no place there (the city clashing with the trees and nature look of the park).

Pandora, contrary to what some people say, fits exceptionally well at the park. Honestly, better than any modern IP land in my opinion. Harry Potter (like the entire IOA) has no relation to the other lands, Star Wars will feel the same way, but Cars Land visually fits California.

The only park Zootopia can remotely even fit inside is Hollywood Studios, but even then the main part about Zootopia are the animals. Sure there are different ecosystems, but the lack of actual animals for something that looks like a city (albeit with some minor differences) could stand a problem, but in HWS it could work better since there is more leeway. How will the land look? Will people magically transform into furry critters? It doesn’t really affect Toontown, but Zootopia is more about the animals than that, Andy it would have to be in AK to properly fit. The world itself is better for a ride than an entire land unless they can do it because they have a great idea, and not just because they have to base it on a movie like has been happening a lot recently.

Hollywood Studios is a dumping ground for IP, and in my mind that’s fine for a Hollywood-style park, but the park will never have harmony like Tokyo DisneySea, or even what EPCOT and AK. Zootopia will throw that off at AK, and it would be a real shame.

Sure, it’s my opinion, and everyone should voice theirs, but typically there is a better choice. To me to a no brainer: Animal Kingdom is not the right park for anything Zootopia if what we get is the city.

If you don’t care about theming, themes, and storytelling then carry on, but if you do, reconsider your opinion. The best theme parks successfully transport you to different locations and worlds; the absolute best visually work together from everywhere or nearly everywhere, and they are not self-aware. That’s why Marvel’s rides (Iron Man & GOTG) being located literally at the park and not in the place the park is trying to transport you to feels off, and also why Pixar Pier is such a travesty.
I don’t expect Zootopia to be self-aware like that, but in relation to the rest of the park it won’t fit at all visually any as far as storytelling is concerned. Honestly, Star Wars Land at Disneyland will in my mind feel more right at home since it’s basically it’s own genre. The same cannot be said for Zootopia and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Agree 100%

Rodan75

Pandora, contrary to what some people say, fits exceptionally well at the park. Honestly, better than any modern IP land in my opinion. Harry Potter (like the entire IOA) has no relation to the other lands, Star Wars will feel the same way, but Cars Land like Pandora to AK visually fits California, and therefor California Adventure.

The only park Zootopia can remotely even fit inside is Hollywood Studios, but even then the main part about Zootopia are the animals. Sure there are different ecosystems, but the lack of actual animals for something that looks like a city (albeit with some minor differences) could stand a problem, but in HWS it could work better since there is more leeway. How will the land look? Will people magically transform into furry critters? It doesn’t really affect Toontown, but Zootopia is more about the animals than Toontown is, especially to justify it properly fitting in AK. Yet it still feels like something is off in Toontown. The world of Zootopia itself is better for a ride than an entire land unless they can do it because they have a great idea, and not just because they have to base it on a movie like has been happening a lot recently.

Hollywood Studios is a dumping ground for IP, and in my mind that’s fine for a Hollywood-style park, but the park will never have harmony like Tokyo DisneySea, or even what EPCOT and AK have. Zootopia will throw that off at AK, and it would be a real shame.

Sure, it’s my opinion, and everyone should voice theirs, but typically there is a better choice. To me it’s a no brainer: Animal Kingdom is not the right park for anything Zootopia if what we get is the city.

If you don’t care about theming, themes, and storytelling then carry on, but if you do, I challenge everyone who disagrees with me and others to at least reconsider your opinion. The best theme parks successfully transport you to different locations and worlds; the absolute best visually work together from everywhere or nearly everywhere, and they are not self-aware. That’s why Marvel’s rides (Iron Man & GOTG) being located literally at the park and not in the place the park is trying to transport you to feels off, and also why Pixar Pier is such a travesty.
I don’t expect Zootopia to be self-aware like that, but in relation to the rest of the park it won’t fit at all visually as far as storytelling is concerned. Honestly, Star Wars Land at Disneyland will in my mind feel more right at home since it’s basically it’s own genre akin to the other lands in a way. The same cannot be said for Zootopia and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

That was a lot of words. But essentially I agree conceptually. My point was simply that there is an argument to be made, but as I said in the post you quoted:

however, at the moment I don't see how an expression of the Zootopia IP would currently fit within the expression of the Animal Kingdom theme.

That said, and this is something that applies to Epcot purists as well. Themes evolve and change. Just because it isn't on the opening day plaque doesn't mean something can't be done and update/alter the theme.

That doesn't mean we have to like when theme's are updated/altered, but Disney has the right and ability to update their themes for all of their parks. Nothing is permanent.

But again, I don't think Zootopia will be making an appearance in DAK any time soon.

Disney Maddux

While I do agree, Rodan made the point I've been trying to get out. The theme of the parks can evolve, just like it is with DHS, and is looking to happen to Epcot. Perhaps one day, DAK could go under this evolution of theme as well, and that new theme could be enough to bring in a Zootopia area.
(Also, if not DAK, I could see them using that large parking lot behind Star Tours for a Zootopia area, since it is quite a large space)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom