News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

Zootopia.jpg

The Blue Sky concept art of Zootopia looks nearly identical to the concept art for the Shanghai Zootopia Land.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
View attachment 717014
The Blue Sky concept art of Zootopia looks nearly identical to the concept art for the Shanghai Zootopia Land.
If we get Zootopia in DAK, which is very likely, then I would bet money on what we get being a clone or close to a clone of what they're getting over in Shanghai.

Yup, and it looks AWFUL in my opinion. How can anyone look at this and say, "YES! Animal Kingdom needs this!"?

J4546

i dont think it will be a clone as they use 2 completely different ride systems. Maybe they gut the entire ride though??? But if they did that, hopefully they could save the dino/IJ ride system and move it to another location, idealy DHS.

MagicHappens1971

i dont think it will be a clone as they use 2 completely different ride systems. Maybe they gut the entire ride though??? But if they did that, hopefully they could save the dino/IJ ride system and move it to another location, idealy DHS.
I think as I already mentioned, that they will clone the show scenes as much as they can and retrofit the existing ride system.

Advisable Joseph

Yeah, I really don't understand how anyone can use the current "concept art" we have and pretend we're not getting the same thing as Shanghai.
There's no room for that, and Shanghai was already designed when the concept art was made, so differences were likely intentional.

There's such a thing as being too cynical.

Last edited:

comics101

What acquisitions didn't the company need? Personally, Fox is the only one they could've done without in my opinion.

Pixar, Marvel & Star Wars have helped launch Disney into the entertainment powerhouse it is today.

There's a lot of places that an answer to this question could go, but simply put I believe that Marvel, Fox, and Lucasfilm were all unnecessary acquisitions that have diluted the Disney brand. Fox was the biggest mistake, though severe mismanagement/office politics at Lucasfilm is slowly killing Star Wars.

Essentially, the company has grown too big for its own good. There are too many competing visions with no single over-arching goal or purpose other than to "make money." The principles and ideas which created near-universal adoration are being abandoned for the easiest/quickest way to monetize product, and eventually it's going to cost them.

MagicHappens1971

There

There's no room for that, and Shanghai was already designed when the concept art was made, so differences were likely intentional.

There's such a thing has being too cynical.
Oh my gosh. I feel like I’m trying to explain rocket science.

We are clearly not getting the full city that Shanghai is getting, but it is fully probable that they are going to gut the interior of Dinosaur and replace with, as close to a copy of the Shanghai Zootopia attraction.

MagicHappens1971

There's a lot of places that an answer to this question could go, but simply put I believe that Marvel, Fox, and Lucasfilm were all unnecessary acquisitions that have diluted the Disney brand. Fox was the biggest mistake, though severe mismanagement/office politics at Lucasfilm is slowly killing Star Wars.
I agree with you that there are so many places this answer could go, and it is super complex. For one, I don’t believe that the general public views Marvel or Star Wars as “Disney”. Especially not Fox. The Marvel films have aiding in financially supporting the company. I’ve been fighting this on here for weeks, but Star Wars is not dying. Yes the sequels had mixed reviews, but Mando, Andor, Obi-Wan, and Ashoka (to be released) have all been very popular and successful. I think if done right, the new films will create a real resurgence of the brand.
Essentially, the company has grown too big for its own good.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Advisable Joseph

We are clearly not getting the full city that Shanghai is getting, but it is fully probable that they are going to gut the interior of Dinosaur and replace with, as close to a copy of the Shanghai Zootopia attraction.
Again, the building where Dinosaur probably is is a train station, not the police station, so the ride will have a different theme, at least.

Advisable Joseph

And, for the peanut gallery, a page or so ago I mentioned that Lee wanted the exhibit to have Bunnyburrow, which doesn't fit the police chase.

I can't make any promises of course, but I think we can push to emphasize references to real animals more.

comics101

I agree with you that there are so many places this answer could go, and it is super complex. For one, I don’t believe that the general public views Marvel or Star Wars as “Disney”. Especially not Fox. The Marvel films have aiding in financially supporting the company. I’ve been fighting this on here for weeks, but Star Wars is not dying. Yes the sequels had mixed reviews, but Mando, Andor, Obi-Wan, and Ashoka (to be released) have all been very popular and successful. I think if done right, the new films will create a real resurgence of the brand.

Whether the general public views Marvel/Lucas as Disney or not, Disney sure wants them to and is working overtime to make it happen. From Disney+ to Disney100 promotional materials and merchandise, it's clear that the company wants the world to know that it's all about Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar (with a dash of Simpsons and Pixar on the side).

^^Which by the way, makes total sense from a financial/Wall Street point of view. Why promote *Disney* when Black Panther and Avatar each earn north of $1b at the box office? Why spend $$$ cultivating talent within WDAS or WDP when the company can just buy its way into profits via corporate takeover?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Whether the general public views Marvel/Lucas as Disney or not, Disney sure wants them to and is working overtime to make it happen. From Disney+ to Disney100 promotional materials and merchandise, it's clear that the company wants the world to know that it's all about Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar (with a dash of Simpsons and Pixar on the side).

^^Which by the way, makes total sense from a financial/Wall Street point of view. Why promote *Disney* when Black Panther and Avatar each earn north of $1b at the box office? Why spend $$$ cultivating talent within WDAS or WDP when the company can just buy its way into profits via corporate takeover?
This is the "Disney Princess" model of branding. Each princess by herself has her own 'brand' and merchandising power, but put them all together and you have the *synergy* of "Disney Princess" which is more than the sum of its parts.

For each popular franchise that Disney can produce content -- for which some segment of the population is into -- then all those franchises together has the *synergy* of burnishing the "Disney Brand."

The "Disney Brand" can then demand premier pricing and get audiences to try new franchises or to settle for some content which is merely 'meh.' Things which a lesser content producer could not get away with.

BTW, the acquired Fox studios acquired accounted for 16 of the 22 Academy Award nominations this year. Disney now gets cachet for the adult and prestige content that it never had before.

lazyboy97o

To add to this, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and The Seas with Nemo and Friends are very different ride systems and yet share a lot in terms of their story and even some show effects. Overall show ideas and certain effects can be brought over. The EMV vehicles would work pretty well for a chase concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom