News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

Could the the area around Dinoland be Bunnyburrow, and the train ride be the pre-show?

You seem certain of this. May I ask why?
Two reasons: 1) cost 2) space, below is a map of the area you mentioned, to the right side of Dinosaur is the berm between the park and the parking lot, can't really expand that way. To the left is some backstage facilities, I'm unsure of what these are, but I don't think they want this to be a high cost project (the Zootopia portion)

As many insiders have suggested, they're looking to do Zootopia cheap and quick.

Retrofitting a Zootopia attraction into the pre-existing Dinosaur makes the most logical sense (for Disney).
Think Malestrom to FEA, or Splash to TBA.
Dinosaur space.jpg

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

And, for the peanut gallery, a page or so ago I mentioned that Lee wanted the exhibit to have Bunnyburrow,
Chris Beaty highlights the train ride and how that could be in the theme parks, Lee highlights the Bunny Burrow in the same context, where they discuss exploring the different biomes.

The most information they give is a "train station", they never explicitly say anything regarding what the attraction would be.

Beaty also says that "he wouldn't even call this a concept".

Link here:

yensidtlaw1969

I don't know how true this is, but from my understanding Dinoland is actually the closest they've come to a successful dinosaur franchise. People still spend their money on dinosaurs, apparently, cheesy environment or scary ride aside.

You'd think that capitalizing on something that's well established to be a consistent gold mine but that they haven't managed to create a well liked film for would be something good for the parks, but apparently not.
At the very least you'd think they'd look and say "Let's MAKE a good Dinosaur movie" (though, obviously, not the "Good Dinosaur" movie).

Like . . . choosing to get rid of what is basically your only decent Dinosaur representation anywhere instead of just doubling down and investing in it properly borders on cosmically silly.

Bocabear

If they repurposed the existing train and completely revamped Conservation Station area, they could create the setting for the attraction back there... have the train ride as the sort of prologue, create the different biomes along the way and end it in the city center. As long as they don't go too high with the ride building it could be completely hidden back there. And while I don't believe animals that wear clothes and have jobs and operate machinery should be part of DAK, I would think that would be the best way to do it...Keeping the city out of the visible parts of DAK...

FigmentFan82

I don't think it'll be a copy & paste. I believe the one in Shanghai is trackless, and from what insiders have said it doesn't sound like they're going to gut the building and fully rebuild like they did for GMR to MMRR.
My best guess based off of nothing would be that that'll try to mimic the ride story as much as possible while fitting it into the existing Dino layout. So while not a 1 for 1 clone of the new attraction being built, perhaps something closer to a cousin of it. Just my guess based on nothing but my brains.

FigmentFan82

i dont think it will be a clone as they use 2 completely different ride systems. Maybe they gut the entire ride though??? But if they did that, hopefully they could save the dino/IJ ride system and move it to another location, idealy DHS.
a safe bet is that the ride system and track layout stays as is. this one is a retheme, so think Frozen and Splash. Things may change in there, but the bones of everything will mostly likely be what it always was. (So not a Engery/Guardians situation)

FigmentFan82

Marvel, Fox, and Lucasfilm were all unnecessary acquisitions that have diluted the Disney brand.
Marvel & Lucasfilm got Disney the boy market they desperately needed after being a predominantly Princess oriented company. Fox has always been the bigger question mark, yet it did allow them to not only regain some core Marvel IP but also full ownership of Avatar, and that IP speaks for itself.

comics101

Marvel & Lucasfilm got Disney the boy market they desperately needed after being a predominantly Princess oriented company. Fox has always been the bigger question mark, yet it did allow them to not only regain some core Marvel IP but also full ownership of Avatar, and that IP speaks for itself.
Im sure there are many high-dollar Disney execs who agree with your assessment, and that is precisely the problem that Disney faces long term.

But hey, what do I know? Maybe $71.3b for Avatar, the Fantastic Four & the X-Men was totally worth it! (Never mind the fact that by the time X-Men and FF are incorporated into the MCU, the Marvel/Superhero-trend will have run its course…)

comics101

$40 Billion actually. And more than award winning content.

No wonder you look upon the Fox acquisition so negatively if you're so misinformed about it.

WSJ: Disney Closes $71.3 Billion Deal for 21st Century Fox Assets
Deal for $71.3 billion merges ‘Simpsons’ and ‘Star Wars,’ and it builds a bigger competitor to Netflix

Walt Disney Co. closed its $71.3 billion acquisition of the major entertainment assets of 21st Century Fox, the companies said, combining some of Hollywood’s best-known studios, characters and franchises as media companies look to get bigger to better compete in a world where shows and movies are increasingly streamed...

...Messrs. Iger and Murdoch began talking of a potential deal between their two companies in August 2017, according to regulatory filings. A $52.4 billion deal was announced that December.

The proposed tie-up was quickly complicated, though, when Comcast Corp. made a competing $65 billion offer for the Fox assets. The resulting bidding war culminated with Disney’s final $71.3 billion offer last June. Comcast ended up winning control of Fox’s stake in Sky PLC.

comics101

$40 Billion actually. And more than award winning content.

No wonder you look upon the Fox acquisition so negatively if you're so misinformed about it.

Oh, there's also Disney's press release announcing the acquisition...

Disney and 21st Century Fox Announce per Share Value in Connection with $71 Billion Acquisition
"Disney is also acquiring approximately $19.8 billion of cash and assuming approximately $19.2 billion of debt of 21st Century Fox in the acquisition. The acquisition price implies a total equity value of approximately $71 billion and a total transaction value of approximately $71 billion."

J4546

And there's also getting the whole hotstar streaming platform with 100s of millions of subscribers in Asia amd europe. Getting into that market is gonna pay off long term.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The proposed tie-up was quickly complicated, though, when Comcast Corp. made a competing $65 billion offer for the Fox assets. The resulting bidding war culminated with Disney’s final $71.3 billion offer last June. Comcast ended up winning control of Fox’s stake in Sky PLC.

Disney *bought* a 39% stake in Sky with that $70B since it was part of Fox.

So, how did Comcast get a hold of it?

Oh, yeah, Comcast bought it from 21st Century Fox for $15B which went into Disney's pocket.

You aren't considering in that $70B figure all the stuff Disney sold off to lower what it did finally pay in the end for Fox.

J4546

Oh, yeah, Comcast bought it from 21st Century Fox for $15B which went into Disney's pocket.

You aren't considering in that $70B figure all the stuff Disney sold off to lower what it did finally pay in the end for Fox.
thats also true, they sold sky and some foxsports stuff and more.

comics101

Disney selling off portions of Fox is evidence that the Fox merger was, by and large, an unnecessary purchase. It is not evidence that Disney paid less for the company.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney selling off portions of Fox is evidence that the Fox merger was, by and large, an unnecessary purchase. It is not evidence that Disney paid less for the company.
That's the very definition of paying less when you don't cherry pick one slice of time to add up your ledger accounts in order to make things seem worse than they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom