News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

Totally valid viewpoint and I hear ya. I happen to enjoy Zootopia, but like I said I get that many don't.
I do like Zootopia, just to put that out there.
My take a few posts back was that where it's rumored to go is off the beaten path and a bit hidden anyway, so it's not like people will be forced to see it's presence from tons of other parts of the park, even when you're in that specific area. Moana will be the one that's really splashy and in your face in that area, if/when that happens.
Granted that Moana/Zootopia will likely happen, I would say that it will still be a big draw for many people. I do wonder how they would fit in it back there, I would imagine they'd have to expand the park boundary to do it justice.

BlakeW39

I see that you're clearly not a fan of MMRR, which you are entitled to your opinion... however, GMR (which was a great attraction) was also "IP Vomit". The whole premise of the attraction was that you were "riding the movies" which obviously fit better within the original mission for Disney-MGM Studios.

My point being that I don't really think its fair to say that MMRR is "IP vomit" when GMR was the same.

Also Mickey & Minnie fit everywhere, they're quintessential Disney.

Sorry, I tend to use some inflammatory rhetoric when it comes to the current parks trajectory. I shouldn't call it vomit....perhaps the better point is, MMRR is a ride I found enjoyable but with a very convoluted plot, and I dislike that it replaced the GMR because the latter attraction both had superior capacity and fit better in Hollywoodland and in the park as a whole.

Last edited:

denyuntilcaught

Lots of hot takes in this thread. IMO - I agree that MMRR is a good, fun fit for a park that lacks cohesion like DHS. Because there is no clear MO any longer, it broadens the lens as to what I think is acceptible. MMRR does a solid job at entertaining and fitting into the context of which it was built into, and honestly sometimes it's best to sit back and enjoy. It doesn't take itself more seriously than necessary.

Re: Zootopia, I take issue with the argument that it shouldn't come to life as an attraction simply because it has "zero cultural impact," which is already arguable. Lacking cultural impact, in my mind, doesn't mean that it'll produce a poor attraction. Instead, the attraction can serve as an opportunity to drive that resonance by tapping into the different storytelling medium to reimagine or expand upon the story, versus a "book report" attraction.

BlakeW39

As I have mentioned here, I have never been on MMRR, but the very fact that it replaced GMR makes me dislike it. And furthermore, they've used the nightmare-inducing Mickey from the new shorts. I don't have a problem with MMRR existing somewhere (Animation Courtyard??!), and GMR was also based on IP. Mickey and Minnie are an IP that should have a ride. Just not there. And not looking like that.

Yeah, I don't care for the new Mickey look. Definitely fails to capture the charm of the classic characters and misunderstands their appeal. They are well animated and often pretty funny, but they're not doinf justice to the characters they portray.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Themes are the underlying predicates which string together a creative enterprise. In order for a work of art to be cohesive, it must be thematically consistent. Zootopia is inconsistent with the themes of Animal Kingdom, and therefore— no matter where it goes —will hinder the park with its presence alone.

This is a 100% excellent point.

We complained about avatar…but at least conservation/environment destruction (ferngully) could be stretched to fit DAK…

But “animals dressed as humans” and using machinery?

No…that’s flat wrong. Not close.

Last edited:

Advisable Joseph

While I'm not sure that I like the new "ride the movies" premise of DHS, because I find it wildly generic and not really any different than what they're trying to do with the rest of their parks....at this point, it is a lost cause. There is no feasible way to course correct DHS and return it to its original theme. So sure, bring on the IP lands. Zootopia had good world building and is popular with some internet communities, so I don't personally have an issue with a miniland at DHS. However I doubt the franchise has enough draw to support anything more than a miniland.
When you are talking about Hollywood Studios, are you talking about my suggestion that the city could be just west of that park? I'm looking for some loophole to the reports that Hollywood Studios will not see more development in the near future.

Anyway, if that was the plan, I'd think there would be more to it than just Zootopia.

MagicHappens1971

When you are talking about Hollywood Studios, are you talking about my suggestion that the city could be just west of that park? I'm looking for some loophole to the reports that Hollywood Studios will not see more development in the near future.

Anyway, if that was the plan, I'd think there would be more to it than just Zootopia.
I personally don’t think DHS will see any significant development for the next 4-6 years.

BlakeW39

This is a 100% excellent point.

We complained about avatar…but at least conservation/environment destruction (feenfully) could be stretched to fit DAK…

But “animals dressed as humans” and using machinery?

No…that’s flat wrong. Not close.

All works of art...theme parks, films, novels, comic books, cartoons...need to be consistent in their themes and tone in order to be coherent. Zootopia clashes with the park in terms of theme, tone, and subject matter. Avatar wasn't my choice for a new DAK land back when it was announced.... it has Iger written all over it; he wanted to plus DAK which at the time was a half day park really, but the planned Beastly Kingdomme expansion didn't fit into the framework of his franchise mandate and so he ruled it out. Thus we got Pandora instead. But Rohde did a good job with the land and it feels at home in DAK. That could simply never happen with Zootopia.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I personally don’t think DHS will see any significant development for the next 4-6 years.
You’re low…probably 15-20

Look at the pattern. There’s a MINIMUM of 10 years of eat/rot after a fantastic Iger miniland…

Carsland? 13
“New” fantasyland? 10
Avatar? Going on 7 at this exact minute.

This is all part of the “theory”…you can’t compete with that IP…so don’t build for the peasants to be refreshed

BlakeW39

You’re low…probably 15-20

Look at the pattern. There’s a MINIMUM of 10 years of eat/rot after a fantastic Iger miniland…

Carsland? 13
“New” fantasyland? 10
Avatar? Going on 7 at this exact minute.

This is all part of the “theory”…you can’t compete with that IP…so don’t build for the peasants to be refreshed

You're probably right but I think that depends on the kind of leadership we have over the next couple of decades. Eisner invested in the parks with a higher frequency than once every decade, he built and then expanded DAK twice within an 8 year period. Iger on the other hand pretty much let the parks rot until he couldn't anymore. If we get another Iger I'd say it's game over and any of the hopes people on this board have for how the parks can be fixed....and this including myself......are 'gone with the wind.' We'll have another dark period on our hands

BlakeW39

Also hot take.... Animal Kingdom was a better park in 2006 than it is now, even with Pandora. FOP is great but I'd rather have the other attractions working than have all the other attractions with broken effects but, oh well at least we got Pandora.

KingMickey13

Just got off of Dinosaur (as in 10 minutes ago) and I noticed how dilapidated it’s become. Half the effects don’t work anymore. They have turned down the lights to hide the broken animatronics. It’s clear Disney is thinking of replacing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom