News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

No Name

Re-theming Dinosaur to Z******a will undoubtedly mean that I actively avoid that attraction. It doesn't even need to be themed to the movie, dinosaurs in general provide all kinds of story fodder. It's fine as is, just fix what's there!

It's a formulaic 45 minute TV police show plot stretched out to a 90 minute movie with animals in place of humans. How that can be seen as good is an utter mystery.

I imagine 'Turning Red' will be the next hot garbage/utter crap movie IP shoved into DAK because ... animals. Right?
Zootopia is a fantastic movie with a great theme about fighting prejudice. It’s the studio’s second-highest-rated movie of all time on Rotten Tomatoes, and it made over a billion dollars in theaters. Of course it would not be good fit for DAK, but you are in the very slim minority in thinking it’s a bad movie.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Zootopia is a fantastic movie with a great theme about fighting prejudice. It’s the studio’s second-highest-rated movie of all time on Rotten Tomatoes, and it made over a billion dollars in theaters. Of course it would not be good fit for DAK, but you are in the very slim minority in thinking it’s a bad movie.
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

I’m not in the minority, I’m just willing to say it publicly. Because about hurting peoples feelings by calling a pile of garbage movie a pile of garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlakeW39

Zootopia was a pretty good film. Not great. Definitely inferior to a lot of the Eisner era films in some ways. But among Iger's Tangled-Encanto era movies, I'd say Zootopia is in the upper half. That is however not saying much being that I haven't loved any of them. Tangled was probably the best imo. Moana was whatever.

Haymarket2008

Chiming in re: Dinoland and Dinosaur.

I brought 3 friends of mine to DAK this week. All of them have never been before. Dinosaur was far and away the outlier for all of them. They didn't hate it but they collectively agreed that it sticks out like a sore thumb. Seeing it through their eyes was very informative.

That being said, I really dislike the idea of Zootopia going in. Completely destroys the integrity of the park, imho. Luckily it won't impact all the glorious things that already exist in DAK, but to have it be a part of the line up is.....problematic.

Advisable Joseph

🙄

Whoops, I didn’t realize you were part of the “silent majority.” I didn’t realize you actually understood the positive themes like fighting prejudice and that it specifically made you like the movie less. I should’ve known.
This relates to the idea, as the creators explained, that the animals are not stand-ins for humans, and predators do not stand in for any particular minority. Once you start thinking of Zootopians as stand-ins, the movie quickly gets offensive. I think that's the real problem I have with the Rohde tweet that keeps on popping up, though I'm not sure he meant that Zootopia was racist.

Any mention of "allegory" by the creators refers to a modern sense, which merely states that there is some loose, albeit intentional, similarities; you're not supposed to think every aspect of predators refers to, say, Black people.

Zootopia was a fantasy about animals first, so you don't have to think this way.

Even if you don't think it fits in Animal Kingdom. 😋

aladdin2007

Zootopia was a pretty good film. Not great. Definitely inferior to a lot of the Eisner era films in some ways. But among Iger's Tangled-Encanto era movies, I'd say Zootopia is in the upper half. That is however not saying much being that I haven't loved any of them. Tangled was probably the best imo. Moana was whatever.
I think Wish may blow all of those out of the water, from what has been seen so far. Probably not something they could ever implement at AK exactly, but if its big, somewhere.

999th Happy Haunt

This relates to the idea, as the creators explained, that the animals are not stand-ins for humans, and predators do not stand in for any particular minority. Once you start thinking of Zootopians as stand-ins, the movie quickly gets offensive. I think that's the real problem I have with the Rohde tweet that keeps on popping up, though I'm not sure he meant that Zootopia was racist.

Any mention of "allegory" by the creators refers to a modern sense, which merely states that there is some loose, albeit intentional, similarities; you're not supposed to think every aspect of predators refers to, say, Black people.

Zootopia was a fantasy about animals first, so you don't have to think this way.

Even if you don't think it fits in Animal Kingdom. 😋
Idk you’re helping your case with this one dawg…

RSoxNo1

I completely agree. Zootopia is a very good movie but it doesn't have a logical home in any Disney park. I think by default people are erroneously assuming DAK makes sense.

Bocabear

And honestly, does every film need to have an attraction? There have been plenty of good and successful Disney films that have no attraction at all...and are not discussed.... Zootopia just happens to be more recent... How long did it take for them to come around on giving Little Mermaid an attraction? Let's wait 20 years and see if people still care about Zootopia the way Little Mermaid has endured...I can tell you it won't...I have seen it twice and I stopped caring about it immediately...lol

James Alucobond

I think it’s just a reflection of how they think about things now. If something is popular and isn’t represented in the parks, it’s lost revenue. Think about the lines Frozen Ever After generated for what is basically a C-ticket. That said, Zootopia is kind of puzzling to me. It’s popular in Asia; but not nearly so here; their obsession with it in the western parks feels misguided.

aladdin2007

I think it’s just a reflection of how they think about things now. If something is popular and isn’t represented in the parks, it’s lost revenue. Think about the lines Frozen Ever After generated for what is basically a C-ticket. That said, Zootopia is kind of puzzling to me. It’s popular in Asia; but not nearly so here; their obsession with it in the western parks feels misguided.
agree, its like they dont think or care anymore, its all about shoehorning in/value engineering. Sometimes I think hong kong or shanghai is really running our parks not Disney World at all. but thats a topic that could go many directions lol.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I agree...I think it would make a fun video game...Attraction? I am not so sure. I think it would end up a lot like the Monsters Inc ride at DCA.... Which doesn't do the IP any favors....
Moana could have made an epic E ticket attraction, but now the opportunity for that seems wasted with the use of the IP in the central location in the old Future World...

aladdin2007

I agree...I think it would make a fun video game...Attraction? I am not so sure. I think it would end up a lot like the Monsters Inc ride at DCA.... Which doesn't do the IP any favors....
Moana could have made an epic E ticket attraction, but now the opportunity for that seems wasted with the use of the IP in the central location in the old Future World...
a version of Fire Mountain would have been perfect tied into that for adventureland, but they aren't doing those kinds of things anymore only removing them...Way too many things are appearing lazy, ill conceived and wrongly placed.

arich35

Will they just announce something already?
We first went to Disney World in Dec 2019, and I don't think they have officially announced and started building a new ride since. Tron was already being built when we first went and I am not counting Splash Mountain. Cosmic Rewind was announced a few months before we went

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom