News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The best option is at MK, or DHS 😉

And as my trusty buddy @Sirwalterraleigh says. Trust only the shovels.
1684261351451.jpeg

BlakeW39

I am a Zootopia fan, but I get the resistance to the IP in DAK.

It is something though that really won't hinder the park in any real way since it's going in an area that is pretty hidden and secluded to itself. It's not like they're replacing the Tree of Life with the Zootopia skyline.

The Moana stuff will be the thing that is more out in the open in that area.

Also, Zootopia 2 is coming, so just prepare yourselves. Z1 was a billion dollar success.

Themes are the underlying predicates which string together a creative enterprise. In order for a work of art to be cohesive, it must be thematically consistent. Zootopia is inconsistent with the themes of Animal Kingdom, and therefore— no matter where it goes —will hinder the park with its presence alone.

i mean the complaining about it is tiresome at this point.

it's coming

where it's going is probably the best option, outside of RPW

It's not complaining...it's criticism. As fans and as consumers, it's our job to criticize things that aren't good. And Zootopia in DAK isn't good.

BlakeW39

Zootopia could certainly work in Hollywood Studios.
Apparently the insiders here said that Hollywood Studios would not see development in the near future.

I wrote another reply, but it is awaiting mod approval.

EDIT Reposting most of it instead.
Let's see if I can post the majority of it...

However, on the Reedy Creek development plan maps, there is land just west of DHS, across the road, intended for future mixed use which is technically in the Animal Kingdom area. There is also usable land near there just north of Blizzard Beach. It's a real stretch, but maybe the city in the background could be there, if it is as tall as Tower of Terror, I guess? It's not a CAD drawing, so the perspective might not be perfect, which could help.

While I'm not sure that I like the new "ride the movies" premise of DHS, because I find it wildly generic and not really any different than what they're trying to do with the rest of their parks....at this point, it is a lost cause. There is no feasible way to course correct DHS and return it to its original theme. So sure, bring on the IP lands. Zootopia had good world building and is popular with some internet communities, so I don't personally have an issue with a miniland at DHS. However I doubt the franchise has enough draw to support anything more than a miniland.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
While I'm not sure that I like the new "ride the movies" premise of DHS, because I find it wildly generic and not really any different than what they're trying to do with the rest of their parks....at this point, it is a lost cause. There is no feasible way to course correct DHS and return it to its original theme. So sure, bring on the IP lands. Zootopia had good world building and is popular with some internet communities, so I don't personally have an issue with a miniland at DHS. However I doubt the franchise has enough draw to support anything more than a miniland.

People need to stop with saying everything should have a "miniland". It's an asinine assertion that encourages rip-and-replace by people like the Bob's and Josh. That's all they've freaking done in the last 20 years is give us "minilands", to the detriment of the parks.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Okay I have to ask....what's your problem with Zootopia as a film? I whole-heartedly agree it doesn't belong in DAK, but by the standards of Iger-era WDAS I thought Zootopia was a pretty strong film and greatly superior to some of the others, like Frozen.
My thoughts are well-documented in various related threads. And probably this one in the past 10 pages. But since you asked nicely - Formulaic TV police drama extended to 90 minutes. Not original or creative in the least bit. And certainly not worthy of 10% of the praise people heap upon it.

BlakeW39

People need to stop with saying everything should have a "miniland". It's an asinine assertion that encourages rip-and-replace by people like the Bob's and Josh. That's all they've freaking done in the last 20 years is give us "minilands", to the detriment of the parks.

Fair enough, but I think modern DHS has minimal artistic merit as a park and to be frank, I just don't care what happens to it anymore. There is no way that 💩hole of a park is going to be fixed in the next 25 years and if I'm being honest it probably never will be.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Fair enough, but I think modern DHS has minimal artistic merit as a park and to be frank, I just don't care what happens to it anymore. There is no way that 💩hole of a park is going to be fixed in the next 25 years and if I'm being honest it probably never will be.
Which is a damn shame because, for now, it still contains one of the perfect creations of WDI - The Tower of Terror.

MagicHappens1971

Again, I've said that I get why people aren't as big on Zootopia as other IP, but dismissing it outright seems silly.
Speaking for myself, I don't feel Zootopia has as much "staying power" as other Disney projects. I know they just announced the sequel, but the film has been far more popular overseas than it was here in the U.S.

I also don't think Zootopia needs to come to the U.S. parks, and if it were to, I think it should go to DHS rather than DAK.

As long as it doesn't go into MK, the skyline in Shangai is atrocious. Zootopia doesn't belong in a castle park, not that it matters, I don't think thats on the table here. Just a tangent.

BlakeW39

Which is a damn shame because, for now, it still contains one of the perfect creations of WDI - The Tower of Terror.

I do love me some Tower of Terror. One of the best attractions currently on property alongside SSE, KS, and maybe a couple others. Hollywoodland was also really strong for a while, until GMR was replaced by the typical out-of-place IP vomit that is Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Trainwreck, which by the way has a plot that is absolutely incomprehensible.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

GMR was replaced by the typical out-of-place IP vomit that is Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Trainwreck, which by the way has a plot is which absolutely incomprehensible.
I see that you're clearly not a fan of MMRR, which you are entitled to your opinion... however, GMR (which was a great attraction) was also "IP Vomit". The whole premise of the attraction was that you were "riding the movies" which obviously fit better within the original mission for Disney-MGM Studios.

My point being that I don't really think its fair to say that MMRR is "IP vomit" when GMR was the same.

Also Mickey & Minnie fit everywhere, they're quintessential Disney.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
typical out-of-place IP vomit that is Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Trainwreck
As I have mentioned here, I have never been on MMRR, but the very fact that it replaced GMR makes me dislike it. And furthermore, they've used the nightmare-inducing Mickey from the new shorts. I don't have a problem with MMRR existing somewhere (Animation Courtyard??!), and GMR was also based on IP. Mickey and Minnie are an IP that should have a ride. Just not there. And not looking like that.

FigmentFan82

Speaking for myself, I don't feel Zootopia has as much "staying power" as other Disney projects. I know they just announced the sequel, but the film has been far more popular overseas than it was here in the U.S.

I also don't think Zootopia needs to come to the U.S. parks, and if it were to, I think it should go to DHS rather than DAK.

As long as it doesn't go into MK, the skyline in Shangai is atrocious. Zootopia doesn't belong in a castle park, not that it matters, I don't think thats on the table here. Just a tangent.
Totally valid viewpoint and I hear ya. I happen to enjoy Zootopia, but like I said I get that many don't.

My take a few posts back was that where it's rumored to go is off the beaten path and a bit hidden anyway, so it's not like people will be forced to see it's presence from tons of other parts of the park, even when you're in that specific area. Moana will be the one that's really splashy and in your face in that area, if/when that happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom