Your opinions for a first-timer to California Adventure

Chux

They sell pickles from the carts and churros are everywhere.

DL's fantasyland dark rides put the MK ones to shame though, so maybe it's more like a MK darkride.

Sun Wheel, meh. Good views I guess. Nothing in the pier was particularly grand. If you like coasters get a FP for Screamin, it got an "it was ok.." from my other half, who loves both coasters and SSE (almost obsessively).

Grizzly takes up a ton of the park. You spend most of your time walking around it. Ironicly though, you can't really see the bear's head from any good angle in the park *shrug*.

The parades there are neat. Try to catch one.

You'll probably find the music a little jarring. Not the standard Disney ambient music, but moreso lyric based songs and such. Sort of like a radio being left on.

Getting to DL for food or something from DCA is really easy. The space seperating the two parks is the size of Epcot's entry plaza. I stayed at the GCH and walked through DCA from the private entrance (by Grizzly) to get to DL most every day. Took less then 15 mins with security checks.

Have fun, but don't expect much from DCA. I got assigned a room with the DCA view (free upgrade) and threw open my window screens to see the Pier and it was... underwhelming. It's just not a pretty park. It's trying too hard to be hip and trendy, though some areas have marked improvements.

Just some thoughts.

The churro coment was dead on.

DL Dark Rides demolish WDW ones, end of story.

More like Sun Wheel 'O Death. Get in the moving one, it's only the 2nd Disney Ride I've seen with a barf bag, and it's fun hearing everybody scream from below it. Screamin was fun, I liked it, and it was long. The GF also liked it.

I never had a hard time getting a good shot of the Bear's Head, I post pictures :)

The Parades are neat, but short. Make sure to see them though.

If I hear California Girls in that weird music box style one more time...

The GCH entrance to the parks is RAD. End of story.

We lucked out and got a view of the entrance to the MK and Space Mountain, right over the World of Disney.

mickster

Can't wait till they start re-working on DCA...I think it's going to be a solid park in 5-10 years!

:lol: :lol: This statement killed me! In 5-10 years, DCA will be 10 -15 years old! Let's HOPE it's finally a "solid park" by then!! In the meantime, why even bother going?? :hammer: :hammer:

Nicole220

:lol: :lol: This statement killed me! In 5-10 years, DCA will be 10 -15 years old! Let's HOPE it's finally a "solid park" by then!! In the meantime, why even bother going?? :hammer: :hammer:
With all the re themeing and the removing/adding of new rides, it should be a solid park. Yes it will be an older park by then, but it's Disney's fault for making it the way it is right now. It took AK and MGM time to become solid parks (imho, MGM still isn't a solid park:lookaroun) , why is it so funny to say that about DCA? Do you want it to stay the way it is, or do you want it to improve??

I "bother" going because I am one of the few who actually enjoy going there! I go to have fun and not complain about how "bad" it really is.

mickster

With all the re themeing and the removing/adding of new rides, it should be a solid park. Yes it will be an older park by then, but it's Disney's fault for making it the way it is right now. It took AK and MGM time to become solid parks (imho, MGM still isn't a solid park:lookaroun) , why is it so funny to say that about DCA? Do you want it to stay the way it is, or do you want it to improve??

I "bother" going because I am one of the few who actually enjoy going there! I go to have fun and not complain about how "bad" it really is.

It just sounds funny for someone to be essentially saying they're looking forward to it being a solid park...some day. :lol: Clearly it isn't one yet, so why waste money going? Why not wait until it does become worthwhile to visit? I would guess that if this were a Six Flags or Universal park we were talking about, then it would be a different story altogether. It just strikes me as funny how many fans on these boards seem so desperate to "support" DCA even when they acknowledge themselves that it is a pretty lame park. :lol:

As far as MGM is concerned, I don't really see it as "not being a solid park yet". That implies that it has never been one (which, in the case of DCA, is true). In the case of MGM, I think it started out a little slowly, but pretty much every Disney park has...including Disneyland. The difference is it's taken DCA 5 years and we're still looking at 5 to 10 years out before we can look forward to it potentially being worth a visit. MGM didn't take nearly that long. In fact, I first visited MGM the year after it opened and I thought it was great! It improved tremendously over the years and kind of peaked a few years back. Then it began somewhat of a decline and I think it's at somewhat of a low spot now. Disneyland also went through the same type of thing a few years back (the Pressler/Harris era). But even in MGM's current state, it completely blows DCA out of the water.

summerluvin

I think CA is a great park. Its only been around for 6 years but it embodies everything true to california. Soaring over california is the best ride by far. I also enjoyed the grizzly water ride, it has more drops than Kali rapids. The wine tasting is fun but the margahritas and the fresh tortillas on the pier are the best.
have fun - you'll enjoy it, especially if your an epcot fan and appreciate a more adult oriented park.

mickster

what did you not like about it mickster?

How much time have you got? :lol:

For starters, Paradise Pier is the worst representation of a Disney park in so many ways. They went with cheap carnival ride knock offs and then tried to explain it away by saying that it "celebrates California's beach culture". The problem with this is that oceanside amusement parks have never been an integral part of California history or culture. They have existed, sure. But they're no more "representative" of California than, say, insects (which I'll address momentarily). I thought the point of California Adventure was to illustrate the very best the Golden State has to offer in one place. Paradise Pier does nothing to showcase what California is truly about.

And what on earth does A Bug's Land have to do with California? Bugs are no more representative of California than they are of New York, Argentina, Vancouver, or anywhere on the planet. Putting this section (made up almost entirely of off the shelf carnival kiddie rides) into DCA for any reason other than to quickly up the attraction count made no sense whatsoever.

Monsters, Inc....same thing. What does this have to do with California?

You say that you have lived in California too, but your profile says you live in Vancouver right now. Regardless, you don't truly know California if you seriously are saying, with a straight face, that DCA "embodies everything true to California". If most people visiting DCA honestly come away thinking they have seen a true representation of California, then I'm insulted as a native Californian. :brick:

summerluvin

I went to UCLA for 4 years so II'm not as well versed with California as you are. I was refering to how Disney covered all areas of the state, of course leaving out any negative aspects. A bugs land is kids area, as well as well as monsters inc. I didnt mean to offend you i just think that they did a good job t showcasing the varying elements that make up the state. As for paradise pier, I completly agree with you!

Nicole220

I've lived there too. I really thought they did a good job at covering the state. what did you not like about it mickster?
Um, everything! :lol:

I find the themeing to be very poor at DCA, and I have to agree with the others that the Bugs Land is the stupidest thing ever created. I hope it gets torn down when they expand DCA into the Timon parking lot.

Rufus T Firefly

Um, everything! :lol:

I find the themeing to be very poor at DCA, and I have to agree with the others that the Bugs Land is the stupidest thing ever created. I hope it gets torn down when they expand DCA into the Timon parking lot.

Nicole,

I would hate to see Bugs Land torn down. It's one of the few places in DCA that parents can enjoy with their small children. I believe that's the reason it was added to the park in the first place.

Rufus T Firefly

It just sounds funny for someone to be essentially saying they're looking forward to it being a solid park...some day. :lol: Clearly it isn't one yet, so why waste money going? Why not wait until it does become worthwhile to visit? I would guess that if this were a Six Flags or Universal park we were talking about, then it would be a different story altogether. It just strikes me as funny how many fans on these boards seem so desperate to "support" DCA even when they acknowledge themselves that it is a pretty lame park. :lol:

As far as MGM is concerned, I don't really see it as "not being a solid park yet". That implies that it has never been one (which, in the case of DCA, is true). In the case of MGM, I think it started out a little slowly, but pretty much every Disney park has...including Disneyland. The difference is it's taken DCA 5 years and we're still looking at 5 to 10 years out before we can look forward to it potentially being worth a visit. MGM didn't take nearly that long. In fact, I first visited MGM the year after it opened and I thought it was great! It improved tremendously over the years and kind of peaked a few years back. Then it began somewhat of a decline and I think it's at somewhat of a low spot now. Disneyland also went through the same type of thing a few years back (the Pressler/Harris era). But even in MGM's current state, it completely blows DCA out of the water.

It's funny that you would tie in the decline of the Studios to the Pressler/Harris era. That's the same regime that presided over DCA's lackluster inception. Merely a coincidence? I think not, Mickster. DCA has been handicapped by this since it's birth.

mickster

I didnt mean to offend you

You didn't offend me at all. What I said was that I am "insulted" as a Californian if people visit DCA and actually come away thinking they've seen a true representation of my state.

i just think that they did a good job t showcasing the varying elements that make up the state.

And see, I think they did a very POOR job showcasing the varying elements that make up the state. For example, a HUGE part of what made California what it is today was the gold rush. Where is that aspect of CA showcased in DCA? But of course, the Muppets were apparently a much bigger influence on California. :rolleyes:

What about the wine industry? Sure, there's the little film and a small winetasting area. But wine is a huge part of California. We're the number two producer of wine in the world behind the entire country of France. That could have been showcased to a much greater extent. But oh no, gotta make some room for those Pixar bugs!! :rolleyes:

What about Yosemite? In place of that silly looking grizzly rock (a landmark that does not exist in reality anywhere in California) why didn't they use a little clever forced perspective and create a Yosemite Valley, complete with Half Dome and El Capitan? Now THAT would have been cool!

isitingood

How much time have you got? :lol:

For starters, Paradise Pier is the worst representation of a Disney park in so many ways. They went with cheap carnival ride knock offs and then tried to explain it away by saying that it "celebrates California's beach culture". The problem with this is that oceanside amusement parks have never been an integral part of California history or culture. They have existed, sure. But they're no more "representative" of California than, say, insects (which I'll address momentarily). I thought the point of California Adventure was to illustrate the very best the Golden State has to offer in one place. Paradise Pier does nothing to showcase what California is truly about.

And what on earth does A Bug's Land have to do with California? Bugs are no more representative of California than they are of New York, Argentina, Vancouver, or anywhere on the planet. Putting this section (made up almost entirely of off the shelf carnival kiddie rides) into DCA for any reason other than to quickly up the attraction count made no sense whatsoever.

Monsters, Inc....same thing. What does this have to do with California?

You say that you have lived in California too, but your profile says you live in Vancouver right now. Regardless, you don't truly know California if you seriously are saying, with a straight face, that DCA "embodies everything true to California". If most people visiting DCA honestly come away thinking they have seen a true representation of California, then I'm insulted as a native Californian. :brick:

What are talking about? California oceanfront amusement parks have no history. Santa Cruz was built almost 50 tears before DL even opened and Santa Monica Pier has been standing a lot longer then DL also. Go read up on when DCA was being built Disney got it's inspiration from Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

mickster

What are talking about? California oceanfront amusement parks have no history. Santa Cruz was built almost 50 tears before DL even opened and Santa Monica Pier has been standing a lot longer then DL also. Go read up on when DCA was being built Disney got it's inspiration from Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

Re-read the part of my post where I acknowledge that oceanside amusement parks have existed in California. I'm not disputing that fact. My point (which I thought I stated clearly) is that oceanside amusement parks have never been a significant part of California history OR culture. DCA would have you believe otherwise. To visitors of DCA who aren't very familiar with California, Paradise Pier would likely give them the impression that oceanside amusement parks are a huge part of what California is about (especially since it's the biggest section of DCA). To those of us who know better, it's obvious that Paradise Pier was just an excuse to go cheap by having so many carnival rides instead of truly "themed" attractions. :rolleyes:

Rufus T Firefly

Re-read the part of my post where I acknowledge that oceanside amusement parks have existed in California. I'm not disputing that fact. My point (which I thought I stated clearly) is that oceanside amusement parks have never been a significant part of California history OR culture. DCA would have you believe otherwise. To visitors of DCA who aren't very familiar with California, Paradise Pier would likely give them the impression that oceanside amusement parks are a huge part of what California is about (especially since it's the biggest section of DCA). To those of us who know better, it's obvious that Paradise Pier was just an excuse to go cheap by having so many carnival rides instead of truly "themed" attractions. :rolleyes:

I agree with you that Paradise Pier was built on the cheap. Unfortunately, the regime that birthed DCA allowed the "bean counters" to make all the crucial decisions. Otherwise, we would enjoy a California Dreams in which the story of California was told by audio-animatronics rather than the Whoopi Goldberg movie. (But that's a whole other story)

I do have to disagree with your comments about California oceanside amusement parks. During the 20's, 30's, and 40's beach parks flourished up and down the California coast from San Francisco to San Diego. They were immensely popular. In their era, these parks had as much impact upon California culture as Disneyland has on present day culture.

BSikor

Okay. I visited DL and DCA last November for the first time. I grew up in Orlando and visited the parks almost weekly. I worked for Disney for a while and know Disney World parks backwards and forewards.

Tip #1. DCA is its own park. Don't compare it to EPCOT. It is not. I love EPCOT.

As far as the rides and attractions:

Monsters Inc. was a great dark ride that is worth checking out.

The Animation Building was basically the same stuff seen around WDW but the sets were amazing.

Aladdin was not being performed the day I was there so I can't tell you, except research to make sure its open the day you go.

Tower of Terror is definetly not as great as MGM but if you have ridden the MGM version as many times as I have, it has some surprises since its not the same layout and the drop caught me off guard.

Bugs Life area is for kids so there really isn't much for adults except to walk through and see how creative it is.

Soarin' was fun to ride just to see the differences in the que areas.

Grizzly was a let down. I think Kali is a better ride. It's not the same track.

Brother Bear area is nice again mainly for kids.

Golden Zephyr is what it is.

Orange Stinger is also what it is.

The Sun Wheel is great stationary but made everyone in my group sick when swinging and kind of ruined the rest of our day.

Maliboomer does nothing for me.

Mulholland Madness was fun. It reminded me of driving on Mulholland the night before.

California Screamin' was disapointing. It could have been much better. It was slow and had very little excitement and the music wasn't loud enough.

Seasons of the Vine and Golden Dreams was nothing to write home about.

Skipped Tough to Be a Bug and Muppets.

Overall its a good park and exciting to me becasuse for the first time in a Disney park I didn't know where the closest restroom was. Again its fun but I wouldn't expect too much. Just go and have fun and try not to compare it to WDW. It's a seperate park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom