Your opinions for a first-timer to California Adventure

CJR

The Snow White statue is the same height as the dwarves. They disguise this by placing her at the top of a waterfall, while the dwarves are at the bottome of it. The statues actually were an anonymous gift to Walt Disney. No one knows who actually sculpted them, only that they come from somewhere in Italy.

That is actually a really neat fact. I didn't know that, see I learn something new every day. The next time I go to DL, I'll be sure to check that out. That's pretty neat, actually. :)

Nicole220

The Snow White statue is the same height as the dwarves. They disguise this by placing her at the top of a waterfall, while the dwarves are at the bottome of it. The statues actually were an anonymous gift to Walt Disney. No one knows who actually sculpted them, only that they come from somewhere in Italy.
That is very cool! Thank you for sharing that!

isitingood

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk itself has had little impact on history, and not much more on Hollywood. The movies you listed aren't exactly blockbusters or classics.

Here's a thought, why didn't they replicate the Hotel Del Coronado and call that the Grand Californian? That one hotel is certainly much more symbolic of California than any oceanside amusement parks, bugs, muppets, monsters, or even national park lodges. And guess what? A pretty classic movie was filmed there..."Some Like it Hot".

Wrong Hotel try the GF

isitingood

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk itself has had little impact on history, and not much more on Hollywood. The movies you listed aren't exactly blockbusters or classics.

Here's a thought, why didn't they replicate the Hotel Del Coronado and call that the Grand Californian? That one hotel is certainly much more symbolic of California than any oceanside amusement parks, bugs, muppets, monsters, or even national park lodges. And guess what? A pretty classic movie was filmed there..."Some Like it Hot".

Dangerous Minds only made 85 mil. More then half then what it cost to make the film.

mickster

Too late.

Disney has already replicated the Hotel Del. They call it the Grand Floridian.

I realize that. :rolleyes:

My point is that it has more of a place in a park that is supposed to celebrate California. Are you saying that just because they built it in Florida, that means they couldn't build one in CA too? I'm afraid I don't follow your logic on that. They essentially used the same name (Grand Floridian = Florida; Grand Californian = California), why not the same architectural style?

mickster

I agree with you on the Tortilla Factory but the Santa Cruz Boardwalk has had inpact on history even Hollywood where you can see the Red and White tracks in many commercials such as Mitsubishi,Ford,Coors, Sony,Levi's and even Yahoo. Also look at the movies that have been filmed at Santa Cruz Sudden Inpact,The Lost Boys and Dangerous Minds just to name a few.

By the way, not that it's a huge deal, but Sudden Impact was filmed in the town of Santa Cruz, not the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. And Santa Cruz was one of many shooting locations for this film.

Rufus T Firefly

I realize that. :rolleyes:

My point is that it has more of a place in a park that is supposed to celebrate California. Are you saying that just because they built it in Florida, that means they couldn't build one in CA too? I'm afraid I don't follow your logic on that. They essentially used the same name (Grand Floridian = Florida; Grand Californian = California), why not the same architectural style?

I'm sorry Mickster, but I'm having trouble following your logic. You have stated over and over in this thread that a trip to DCA would be a waste of time and money partly because many of the attractions (Soarin, TOT, GRR,ITBAB) already exist at WDW. Yet, now you propose that DCA should build a carbon copy of a resort that already exists at WDW.

Why the sudden flip flop?

Are you a Mitt Romney supporter?

isitingood

Hmmmm...Someone needs to take a basic economics class. Making "more than half what it costs to make" isn't making a profit. That's losing money. :brick:

You don't anything. The movie cost a little over 20mil. to make since most of the filming was done at one location (Burlingame HS). The film made 85 Mil. in the U.S and $180 mil worldwide. Talk about basic economics that looks like a giant profit to me.:ROFLOL:

isitingood

By the way, not that it's a huge deal, but Sudden Impact was filmed in the town of Santa Cruz, not the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. And Santa Cruz was one of many shooting locations for this film.
It's obvious you have never seen the movie,so why do even comment on it? The fight scene between Dirty Harry and Mick is on the Giant Dipper. And where is the Giant Dipper? I hope you know that one:hammer:

Nicole220

*Pokes head in, sees that there is still fighting about beaches and what not. Starts to sway and sings* "Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends..."

:lookaroun

mickster

You don't anything. The movie cost a little over 20mil. to make since most of the filming was done at one location (Burlingame HS). The film made 85 Mil. in the U.S and $180 mil worldwide. Talk about basic economics that looks like a giant profit to me.:ROFLOL:

You're right, it does look like a profit. But that's not what you said. Go back and read your post. You said that it "made over half what it cost to make". Now maybe you intended to say something else, but if so you have to clarify your statement. Because my comment was in response to your exact quote.

Also just as a sidenote, you're making up those figures. The film has not made "$180 mil worldwide". I challenge you to back up that claim with proof. It has actually made (to date) just under $85 mil worldwide.

mickster

I'm sorry Mickster, but I'm having trouble following your logic. You have stated over and over in this thread that a trip to DCA would be a waste of time and money partly because many of the attractions (Soarin, TOT, GRR,ITBAB) already exist at WDW. Yet, now you propose that DCA should build a carbon copy of a resort that already exists at WDW.

Why the sudden flip flop?

In actuality, if you go back and read the conversation, I think you'll realize that I'm not actually proposing this. I mentioned the Hotel Del Coronado in response to someone else justifying Paradise Pier because movies had been filmed at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and stating it was an historic landmark. Following that logic, a replica of the Hotel Del would make more sense. I'm not suggesting they actually should have done it. To me, it would not have made sense because the real one is only a couple hours away.

Having said that, I don't think that duplicating a resort hotel is quite the same thing as having a theme park that is almost entirely made up of duplicated and unoriginal rides. Where you sleep at night is not as integral to a vacation experience as the activities you engage in during that vacation (at least in my opinion, but I think most people would agree with that).

Are you a Mitt Romney supporter?

Until you made this remark, I thought you were having an intelligent, mature debate with me. This comment, though, borders on personal attack which, the last time I checked, is against forum rules. Can you tell me what politics have to do with the topic we've been discussing? I'm guessing you can't so please refain from directing this type of remark toward me. Thanks! :animwink:

isitingood

You're right, it does look like a profit. But that's not what you said. Go back and read your post. You said that it "made over half what it cost to make". Now maybe you intended to say something else, but if so you have to clarify your statement. Because my comment was in response to your exact quote.

Also just as a sidenote, you're making up those figures. The film has not made "$180 mil worldwide". I challenge you to back up that claim with proof. It has actually made (to date) just under $85 mil worldwide.

Someone needs Hooked On Phonics because a three yr old could have figured out what I was saying.:hammer:

You don't learn very fast because I already made you look like a fool with the Sudden Inpact movie which you had no comeback for. Also if you remember you couldn't even find that attendance list I was talking about which my 6 yr old niece had no problem finding. And now for the second time you have called me a liar so I tell you what, I will bet you 20 Grand and we will have a company in Las Vegas hold the money and I will pay the service fee. After that I will send you to the place where it shows Dangerous Minds has made almost 180 mil. worldwide.

I will back up my claim, now let's see if you can backup what you say because if you can't keep your mouth shut and stop calling me a liar.

BTW that 85 mil is U.S. not worldwide

mickster

Someone needs Hooked On Phonics because a three yr old could have figured out what I was saying.:hammer:

You don't learn very fast because I already made you look like a fool with the Sudden Inpact movie which you had no comeback for. Also if you remember you couldn't even find that attendance list I was talking about which my 6 yr old niece had no problem finding. And now for the second time you have called me a liar so I tell you what, I will bet you 20 Grand and we will have a company in Las Vegas hold the money and I will pay the service fee. After that I will send you to the place where it shows Dangerous Minds has made almost 180 mil. worldwide.

I will back up my claim, now let's see if you can backup what you say because if you can't keep your mouth shut and stop calling me a liar.

BTW that 85 mil is U.S. not worldwide

:lol: :lol: Ooohhhhh, okay!! You (an anonymous person on a message board) are "willing to bet 20 grand" that you can back up your claim, huh? Why not make it 20 million? Or 20 billion for that matter?? Since you're "betting" with money you clearly don't have anyway, what's the difference? :lol: :lol: Hey, I was just thinking... Since you've offered to pay the service fee, if that service fee is 40 billion and you end up winning 20 billion on the bet, then you will have made HALF what it cost you to make the bet!! By your accounting, that's making a profit!!! :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you're buying time while you continue to desperately search for a source to back up your claim. And since making me "look like a fool" is something you apparently live for, I'm guessing we'd already be seeing the link if it actually existed. (btw, since it's Easter and all, I'm feeling generous so how about I help you out a little....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112792/business) It's probably worth noting that while I am big enough to admit I misread the US figure as being worldwide, are YOU big enough to admit that you exaggerated the worldwide figure?....or that you have no documentation that it cost $20 million to MAKE the movie? :hammer:

mickster

Someone needs Hooked On Phonics because a three yr old could have figured out what I was saying.

Oh I almost forgot...What the heck does phonics have to do with you wording your post incorrectly?? Phonics refers to how words are pronounced. It doesn't refer to how a sentence is structured. Maybe you could have that three year old explain it all to you.

What was that you said earlier about me looking "like a fool"? :drevil:

isitingood

Oh I almost forgot...What the heck does phonics have to do with you wording your post incorrectly?? Phonics refers to how words are pronounced. It doesn't refer to how a sentence is structured. Maybe you could have that three year old explain it all to you.

What was that you said earlier about me looking "like a fool"? :drevil:

Phonics has to do with reading, I'm sorry everything has to be simplified for you.:hammer:

isitingood

:lol: :lol: Ooohhhhh, okay!! You (an anonymous person on a message board) are "willing to bet 20 grand" that you can back up your claim, huh? Why not make it 20 million? Or 20 billion for that matter?? Since you're "betting" with money you clearly don't have anyway, what's the difference? :lol: :lol: Hey, I was just thinking... Since you've offered to pay the service fee, if that service fee is 40 billion and you end up winning 20 billion on the bet, then you will have made HALF what it cost you to make the bet!! By your accounting, that's making a profit!!! :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you're buying time while you continue to desperately search for a source to back up your claim. And since making me "look like a fool" is something you apparently live for, I'm guessing we'd already be seeing the link if it actually existed. (btw, since it's Easter and all, I'm feeling generous so how about I help you out a little....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112792/business) It's probably worth noting that while I am big enough to admit I misread the US figure as being worldwide, are YOU big enough to admit that you exaggerated the worldwide figure?....or that you have no documentation that it cost $20 million to MAKE the movie? :hammer:

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: I knew you would find an excuse to back away from my wager. Since can't navigate a mouse maybe you should have your mommy do it for you. since you can't find the worldwide totals on Dangerous Minds which is very simple just like that attendance list you couldn't find either. Go to wikipedia and it will show you

Domestic total $84,919,401.00
Overseas total $94,600,000.00
Total $179,519,401.00

Also check pfeiffertheface.com click on career then click on complete career then scroll down the movie list and click on Dangerous Minds. You will see they have the movie listed at making
$177,900,000.00
still like I said almost 180 mil. Next time you call me a liar make sure you know what you're talking about:zipit:

isitingood

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: I knew you would find an excuse to back away from my wager. Since can't navigate a mouse maybe you should have your mommy do it for you. since you can't find the worldwide totals on Dangerous Minds which is very simple just like that attendance list you couldn't find either. Go to wikipedia and it will show you

Domestic total $84,919,401.00
Overseas total $94,600,000.00
Total $179,519,401.00

Also check pfeiffertheface.com click on career then click on complete career then scroll down the movie list and click on Dangerous Minds. You will see they have the movie listed at making
$177,900,000.00
still like I said almost 180 mil. Next time you call me a liar make sure you know what you're talking about:zipit:

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

isitingood

Please tell me you're not this shallow:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: the link you gave me proves my point but thanks anyways. Look at the figures

$93,000,000.00 Non-USA
$177,900,000.00 Total

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom