Yeti Update

ctxak98

I'm not sure about the effects in the time portal sequences, but my understanding on the Net at the end, The compy's and the Pterodactyl were that they were permanently turned off. Presumably the net because it didn't look all that good, and the other two because they either didn't work, or were a safety risk.

I would love to see Dinosaur get a significant refurbishment, make it a higher demand attraction and allow it to help with crowds during an Everest refurbishment. Otherwise, I think the only way the Yeti ever gets fixed is upon completion of World of Avatar.

AGREED! Both dinosaur and expedition everest are my favortite rides besides TOT because of the story. Dinosaur and EE also have some of the coolest AA's ever made in my opinion. They both need refurbs and they should do Dinosaurs now and then once avatar is complete FINALLY fix that darn yeti. It really makes a difference in the rollercoaster. it makes it unique and not just another mountain rollercoaster!:)

Alektronic

I'm not sure about the effects in the time portal sequences, but my understanding on the Net at the end, The compy's and the Pterodactyl were that they were permanently turned off. Presumably the net because it didn't look all that good, and the other two because they either didn't work, or were a safety risk.

I would love to see Dinosaur get a significant refurbishment, make it a higher demand attraction and allow it to help with crowds during an Everest refurbishment. Otherwise, I think the only way the Yeti ever gets fixed is upon completion of World of Avatar.

The Compy's were turned off for the exactly same reason as the Yeti, the frame developed cracks and fractures and instead of repairing them, they just turned them off.

The Mother Cearadactylus was turned off because of a drive cable kept slipping off and instead of fixing it, they just turned it off.

There is probably at least 50 other special effects in that ride that are turned off or never repaired.

A lot of smokers and water mist machines.
Several meteor and comet effects.
Air blasts and meteor explosions.
Transducers and vibration effects.
Sparkers in the entry and exit tunnels.
Laser effects.
Hot air effects like a Carno was breathing on you.
Water sprays like a Carno was spitting on you.
More air blasts and burp effects.
Several functions in each dinosaur are turned off instead repaired to seem more lifelike.

And those are on the top of my head and there is many more, I would have to ask my friends that work there to list many more.

And worse is Animal Kingdom itself, it is the newest park, and has the most effects, or little things for background ambiance just turned off or just abandoned.

sweetpee_1993

Far as I know, only one waterfall has been used for years now.
Add in the yeti, the sporadic bird, the missing blowing snow effect and the intentionally disabled icy mist and I call the ride "not show-ready".
If they aren't willing to maintain it, they shouldn't build it.

(Factor in Dinosaur, and AK possibly has more broken/disabled effects than the other three parks combined. Shame.)

And how about the fact that pretty much the entire ending sequence on the safari where the actual story involving the poachers played out has slowly trickled away to virtual non-existance just since 2004? For a park that once touted itself as "Natazu" the absence of story on an attraction such as the safari sure makes it feel a lot like one.

I have to disagree ... Everest is built around a story, a story that has a climax ending with the encounter of the Yeti.

Last I checked, Disney was about story first, ride second ... I can pay half as much if I just wanted to ride a roller coaster by going to Cedar Point, but people like myself come to Disney to experience rides and attractions that are more than just trains whizzing around on steel tubes. So saying thats its primarily a roller coaster is giving the suits a free pass to be lazy, which is where the problem truly lies.

Yep.

As for the support structure, tikiman I'm not doubting that you were told what you stated. I do doubt its accuracy. I've been told, as far back as 2005, that the yeti's structure was entirely self contained, in its own "show building" in in the side of the mountain. Nothing shared but the concrete slab that everything is mounted on.

But, anyway....yeti's still broke.

This is what I'm curious about. The concrete foundations. Does anyone know or have access to foundation plans to discern if the foundations are independent of one another and just covered-over with a single pour of concrete? How was the rebar configured? Were the footings poured independent of one another for the larger, heavier load points or is it all interconnected by the rebar? An example would be like with my inlaw's house which sits on a sloping lot. The oversized attached garage portion of the house is on a slab while the rest of the structure is on block piers each atop individual foundation footing "pads". They don't touch each other. Are the foundations for the track, mountain structure, and Yeti all independant of one another...then a regular slab poured around all those at a later date to support the people and/or shed-like structures? Does that make sense? I know. A bunch of you boys are sitting around smackin' your foreheads at the thought of a girl trying to figure out construction stuff. :lol: I do have a working knowledge to an extent and have always found it all very fascinating...

The pterodactyl that used to "fly" toward you when you heard Dr. Seeker say "Incoming!" has been stationary for years, as well.

As with many cases talked about above, it's still a fun ride, but man, it used to be truly amazing. The little things make a big difference, and to people like most of us who visit often, the broken things are just about all you see when you ride these attractions.

I absolutely CAN'T go on Everest without discussing the broken yeti afterward. I rode about a week ago with a newbie and I asked if she saw the yeti. Her response? "What yeti?" Ugh.

I'm with you. There was experiencing attractions and totally having your mind blown-away and then there is riding attractions and feeling like, "Okay. Cool. What's next?" It's a big difference. On one hand I'm sorry for guests who never experienced things in their full glory (such as E:E...my first ride was during a soft opening) but then on the other hand I feel sorry for those guests who DID experience the full glory because it's a case of "ignorance is bliss". If you don't know what you're missing you don't have to miss anything at all. Or feel disappointment. That's what kills me and gets me so irked with WDW as a whole. I've seen the awesome-sauce in so many facets of the resort as a whole. I've tasted it. What's there today (parks, hotels, restaurants, merchandise, service, the list goes on) isn't as tasty as what I know is possible. If you're going to create a show or set a standard do so with commitment! Set the bar high and never allow yourself the luxury of falling below that bar. If you aren't willing to do what it takes to stay commited to what you create, don't put it out there to begin with.

And, yeah, I happened to ride E:E with a single-rider who also was a first-timer back in January 2010. As we were rolling back into the station for unload I told my son in front of me that I didn't really see the Yeti. The guy next to me said, "What Yeti?" Exactly. What Yeti indeed.

alissafalco

Does anyone know who we could complain to? I would like to write a letter about the Yeti being broken, and if thousands of others did maybe they would do something? Would that work? or dont bother?

stitch2008

Was it really "spectacular"? Or has the hyperbole on the internet surrounding it clouded our memory? Yes, it's an impressive animatronic... but you see it for three seconds (and that's if you know where to look, which new riders don't).

This is so true. The biggest issue with Everest is you basically soar past the Yeti. Ill never understand why the Imagineers designed it that way. Brakes are so needed after the final helix.

MKCP 1985

The biggest issue with Everest is you basically soar past the Yeti. Ill never understand why the Imagineers designed it that way.

Because when it worked properly, the Yeti scene was a "Did you see THAT?" moment, followed by "LET'S RIDE AGAIN!"

Not riding again to experience the curves and the twists, mind you, but to see that huge 10 foot tall monster lumbering toward you and taking a swipe at your car. I found that it was truly awesome, and like most all encounters with such mythical creatures, it was fleeting and left you wondering if you really did see what you thought you saw.

Without that element, it is just a roller coaster. :shrug:

IWant2GoNow

Actually. my list is the chain of command (locally to the top) responsible for repairs to Everest/Yeti, Dinosaur, Kali, Dino-Rama, Dinoland, and Asia. Joe is more on the outside as an Designer/Consultant.

Joe may be more outside, but I've read on these boards from reliable people that when they know he's coming, things tend to be a little more "magical" for his visit.

Concerning the topic at hand, I feel as though I have exhausted my opinons on Fubar the Yeti's caretakers. I realize it is a good ride without him in working order, but it was an amazing experience when he was. If you've been on this forum for very long, you all know where I stand on the matter. All I want is for this ride to be in complete working order and to not allow this to set a precedent for how future rides and attractions should be handled. When Avatar is up and running, I have a feeling this will have no effect on E:E. They will continue to ignore it by putting an Avatar Band-Aid on DAK.

RSoxNo1

This is so true. The biggest issue with Everest is you basically soar past the Yeti. Ill never understand why the Imagineers designed it that way. Brakes are so needed after the final helix.

As others have said, the Yeti is meant to be elusive. You're not supposed to get a good look at him. It seems somewhat wasteful, but it was certainly deliberate.

The Compy's were turned off for the exactly same reason as the Yeti, the frame developed cracks and fractures and instead of repairing them, they just turned them off.

The Mother Cearadactylus was turned off because of a drive cable kept slipping off and instead of fixing it, they just turned it off.

There is probably at least 50 other special effects in that ride that are turned off or never repaired.

Laser effects.
Several functions in each dinosaur are turned off instead repaired to seem more lifelike.

And those are on the top of my head and there is many more, I would have to ask my friends that work there to list many more.

And worse is Animal Kingdom itself, it is the newest park, and has the most effects, or little things for background ambiance just turned off or just abandoned.

Thank you for the information. It's to the point where I don't remember most of this stuff ever working.

fractal

The Yeti was spectacular!

Let's be honest - the rollercoaster itself is average at best. Take away the themeing and the story and it's an average RC with the neat trick of going backwards. There are certainly bigger, faster and more thrilling and frankly more fun RCs.

However, when I first rode EE in 2007 with the Yeti working, I came off that ride and said to myself ( and outloud ) "wow! that was the best ride I've ever been on", "Disney has outdone themselves!". I literally thought the thing was going to pick me out of my car. It may be only 3 seconds but those 3 seconds did what ever great ride does - it suspends reality. For that brief time you question what you are really seeing and your natural instincts of fear and "squirming in your seat" kick in. Then the rush you get as you pass through and "survive" the encounter.

The kids and I rode it over and over again and were just astounded by the motion, sound and realism of the Yeti AA each time.

I still rode it this summer and it a very good ride. I enjoy the themeing and the story - but man do I miss that primal rush I got with the "working" Yeti.

disney fan 13

Laser effects.

add on the fact that it's thrill was toned down from CTX and indy and dino are not even on the same scale

Tom Morrow

And how about the fact that pretty much the entire ending sequence on the safari where the actual story involving the poachers played out has slowly trickled away to virtual non-existance just since 2004? For a park that once touted itself as "Natazu" the absence of story on an attraction such as the safari sure makes it feel a lot like one.
But when it DID have a lot of emphasis on the story, people complained that it felt corny and shoe-horned in. So which is it?
Because when it worked properly, the Yeti scene was a "Did you see THAT?" moment, followed by "LET'S RIDE AGAIN!"

Not riding again to experience the curves and the twists, mind you, but to see that huge 10 foot tall monster lumbering toward you and taking a swipe at your car. I found that it was truly awesome, and like most all encounters with such mythical creatures, it was fleeting and left you wondering if you really did see what you thought you saw.

Without that element, it is just a roller coaster. :shrug:
But you're acting like people are now getting off saying "ugh, that was horrible!" when in fact they STILL are saying "LET'S RIDE AGAIN!" and they are, which is why its still the most popular attraction in the park and I know I'm not alone in saying its the best roller coaster at WDW.

muse1983

I think most people can agree and it's my opinion at least that Disney is extremely aware that the Yeti being broken is not living up to Disney standards. They realize this and it's not lost on them that it needs to be repaired ASAP and I'm even confident that they have a solid plan in place to fully repair the yeti..BUT they also realize that AK cannot afford to have it's premiere attraction shut down for however many months it will take to repair the yeti.

I'm fully convinced that we will see Everest go down for a refurbishment a couple of months if not weeks after Pandora is open for business. It's disappointing that it will be that long until we see a fully functioning Yeti but at the same time you can't really blame Disney for the ultimate repair plan. Killing Everest without a new E ticket attraction replacing it in an already 5-6 hour park would be suicide.

fractal

I think most people can agree and it's my opinion at least that Disney is extremely aware that the Yeti being broken is not living up to Disney standards. They realize this and it's not lost on them that it needs to be repaired ASAP and I'm even confident that they have a solid plan in place to fully repair the yeti..BUT they also realize that AK cannot afford to have it's premiere attraction shut down for however many months it will take to repair the yeti.

I'm fully convinced that we will see Everest go down for a refurbishment a couple of months if not weeks after Pandora is open for business. It's disappointing that it will be that long until we see a fully functioning Yeti but at the same time you can't really blame Disney for the ultimate repair plan. Killing Everest without a new E ticket attraction replacing it in an already 5-6 hour park would be suicide.

How did AK survive before EE for what; seven years? I understand the "excuse" but I don't buy it.

Captain Chaos

How did AK survive before EE for what; seven years? I understand the "excuse" but I don't buy it.

I'm in agreement... I don't buy the excuse either.. And we all know Disney hates when you don't buy... :)

The park would survive a few months of Everest being down... The other rides and shows would just have to pick up a bit of the slack...

muse1983

In my opinion it's irrelevant how it survived before EE simply because the public didn't have EE to lose. It's like asking how HS survived without ToT.

tl77

AK is only open until 5pm this time of year, if they were going to fix it now would be the time to do it.

Do you think they'll fix it after the new Fantasyland opens when the crowds are over there, or would they really leave the Yeti broken for another 3-4 years till Avatar-land opens?

RunnerEd

In my opinion it's irrelevant how it survived before EE simply because the public didn't have EE to lose. It's like asking how HS survived without ToT.

You kind of made my point in a round-about way. How did either of these two SEVERELY UNDER-BUILT parks survive before their major "wenies" came to be? If E:E had a couple of more e ticket attractions along with a few c/d's, then E:E could go down for a months long refurb and the park would be ok; same with Tower of Terror. However, since both of these parks have fewer than 10 attractions each, it's a huge deal to take one down.

Clever Name

Quite the opposite is true. Special effects, sound, animatronics and projections have been removed, shortened or left inoperable in every ride and attraction in all four parks. “Run it ‘till it breaks” has become the theme for WDW followed by, “Run it while it’s broke”. The company doesn’t care anymore about quality of the show. There is not one attraction in all of WDW that is running 100% as it was designed to run. Most are limping along at 60 to 75% level of show quality.

The current Disney standard is that the show must go on no matter how crappy. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom