Yeti Update

tikiman

Can you clarify what you mean by structure?

I don't have exact details but I got the impression it was the entire mountain structure that can't support the extreme movement and that they would have to replace the whole ride to fix it. Instead they decided to shut down the Yeti.

Lee

Adventurer
I don't have exact details but I got the impression it was the entire mountain structure that can't support the extreme movement and that they would have to replace the whole ride to fix it. Instead they decided to shut down the Yeti.

Not accurate.
The yeti and his structure do not touch or effect the mountain at all.

tikiman

Not accurate.
The yeti and his structure do not touch or effect the mountain at all.

The base it is on is attached to the frame structure of the mountain. I did not mean the exterior mountain itself. Im just sharing what Imagineering has told me. I have nothing else I can add.

Bork Bork

I rode everest on the 12th of january and they did not even have the strobe going. It was just pitch black in that section.

Boo! I guess there were no execs in the park.;)

I never got to see him in "A" mode as my first trip to WDW was in 2008. BUT, at least then he was well lit up...and not by strobes. Even motionless, he freaked us out. I can only imagine "a fully armed and operational battle station," I mean yeti. Sorry. Wrong bad guy.

G00fyDad

I'm just glad that I got to see the "A" mode before he went rigid. I count it as a lucky experience just like being able to ride in the front car of the monorail before they stopped that too. Lucky I suppose. :)

JimboJones123

Is the Yeti hunched over more than he used to be in Disco Yeti mode?

He seemed more bent over last week than he was before. Instead of just frozen, he looked broken down.

I may have just not remembered right.

RSoxNo1

I rode everest on the 12th of january and they did not even have the strobe going. It was just pitch black in that section.

I rode on the 5th and there wasn't a single working effect in the attraction on one of my rides. No bird on a stick for my entire trip (1 ride on 12/30, 4 rides on 1/5), no waterfalls on 1/5, and the yeti projection room wasn't working on my last two rides on 1/5. After the second time I figured nobody had told them so I mentioned it to a cast member, she said they'd send someone through on a ride through.

Tom Morrow

^ the waterfalls are sometimes turned off for cold weather, otherwise they are almost always on. Projectors can sometimes turn off for some reason without the operators knowing about it. Bird on a stick may never return, possibly because it was a really lame effect in the first place.

EpcotFanForever

Some thoughts on the Yeti

From the discussion here and from the videos WDI did on the development of the Yeti, I think we can make an educated guess about what happened to it. The Yeti is driven by hydraulics (probably oil under high pressure), which generate a very large force over a very short distance. From what I recall, the actuators moved on the order of a foot horizontally. The hydraulic system was driven by air pressure out of a series of tanks that would recharge between trains.

This system would then use a series of levers to make the arm move. Think of a lever, where you push hard on the short end and it moves a little, but the long end moves a lot. I believe that's how the Yeti was designed to move.

The actuator pushed a slider up and back horizontally. That slider rode on a linear bearing, and carried a lot of weight and force. It seems like it is that bearing which is failing (the "foundation" of the Yeti). In some cases that bearing is a film of oil that is replenished under very his pressure. As cracks developed, there may have been oil spraying everywhere. High pressure oil can be hard to contain. But this is all conjecture.

So it seems that the Yeti failed because it was improperly designed from the bottom-up. It can't be fixed without a massive renovation, and so it likely would have to be redesigned and rebuilt from scratch. I would guess they would limit motion in the new Yeti to reduce the forces on the bearings, or design something entirely different. In a chat with an imagineer, they once used a backhoe to simulate the motion of a dinosaur, for example.

And so you have it - a design that failed because it was "one of a kind", and a design that cannot be easily fixed. Not a failure, but a case of Disney reaching a bit to far to get the "wow factor" we all love.

This is just one engineer's best guess (and yes, I am a rocket scientist).

Lee

Adventurer
The base it is on is attached to the frame structure of the mountain. I did not mean the exterior mountain itself. Im just sharing what Imagineering has told me. I have nothing else I can add.

I think someone was confused...
That runs contrary to everything I've ever been told about the structure, which is that the mountain frame, the coaster track/supports and the yeti mechanism are completely independent. None of the three touch the other at all, only sharing the common foundation.
Basically, they could go in and pull the whole yeti system out with no effect on either the ride system or the mountain structure.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken...

Lee

Adventurer
^ the waterfalls are sometimes turned off for cold weather, otherwise they are almost always on. Projectors can sometimes turn off for some reason without the operators knowing about it. Bird on a stick may never return, possibly because it was a really lame effect in the first place.

Far as I know, only one waterfall has been used for years now.
Add in the yeti, the sporadic bird, the missing blowing snow effect and the intentionally disabled icy mist and I call the ride "not show-ready".
If they aren't willing to maintain it, they shouldn't build it.

(Factor in Dinosaur, and AK possibly has more broken/disabled effects than the other three parks combined. Shame.)

Rob562

I think someone was confused...
That runs contrary to everything I've ever been told about the structure, which is that the mountain frame, the coaster track/supports and the yeti mechanism are completely independent. None of the three touch the other at all, only sharing the common foundation.
Basically, they could go in and pull the whole yeti system out with no effect on either the ride system or the mountain structure.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken...

Nope, you're not mistaken. The hour-long TLC special even talks specifically about the three independent support structures (mountain, coaster and Yeti) and included CAD images showing the three separate structures and how they had to work on them to keep them separated.

And those who say that the mountain would have to be torn down or disassembled to get the Yeti out forget that the Yeti AA didn't even go *into* the mountain until is was almost completed.

-Rob

RSoxNo1

Add Joe Rohde to this as well... :wave:

I'll try and keep my usual annoyance about the Yeti status to a minimum here. Just get the thing fixed already. Same goes for Dinosaur.

Dinosaur was in pretty good shape on my last trip. Effects that seem to have been "retired" weren't on, but as far as I know nothing major was broken there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom