Yeti Update

ADP2

I think someone was confused...
That runs contrary to everything I've ever been told about the structure, which is that the mountain frame, the coaster track/supports and the yeti mechanism are completely independent. None of the three touch the other at all, only sharing the common foundation.
Basically, they could go in and pull the whole yeti system out with no effect on either the ride system or the mountain structure.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken...
I guess my question would be the Yeti has to have some sort of support. So, if it is on its own support system/foundation then couldn't it potentially be causing its own foundation to crumble when its in A mode? It may not be connected to the mountain's foundation, but the Yeti itself has to have some sort of foundation (it doesn't float :) ). Maybe its that foundation that's the problem when it's in A mode. All speculation and theory of course.... :wave:

Alektronic

Add Joe Rohde to this as well... :wave:

I'll try and keep my usual annoyance about the Yeti status to a minimum here. Just get the thing fixed already. Same goes for Dinosaur.

Actually. my list is the chain of command (locally to the top) responsible for repairs to Everest/Yeti, Dinosaur, Kali, Dino-Rama, Dinoland, and Asia. Joe is more on the outside as an Designer/Consultant.

sc123tx

Far as I know, only one waterfall has been used for years now.
Add in the yeti, the sporadic bird, the missing blowing snow effect and the intentionally disabled icy mist and I call the ride "not show-ready".
If they aren't willing to maintain it, they shouldn't build it.

(Factor in Dinosaur, and AK possibly has more broken/disabled effects than the other three parks combined. Shame.)

I know about Everest, but what are the broken effects on dinosaur?

Tom Morrow

Far as I know, only one waterfall has been used for years now.
Add in the yeti, the sporadic bird, the missing blowing snow effect and the intentionally disabled icy mist and I call the ride "not show-ready".
If they aren't willing to maintain it, they shouldn't build it.

(Factor in Dinosaur, and AK possibly has more broken/disabled effects than the other three parks combined. Shame.)
Both waterfalls have been on every day lately except for very cold days. The snow and mist effects have been disabled because they cause problems with mold inside the mountain and trip sensors on the ride track, causing the ride to shut down. I thought this was common knowledge on here? Bird-on-a-stick was a cheap looking effect and completely non-essential to the story. Does it really affect your ride experience in any way?

The thing with Everest is, it is primarily a roller coaster, not a ride that relies primarily on show elements to entertain you, like say, Dinosaur or Splash Mountain (or even Everest's "cousin", Revenge of the Mummy). Remove (disco) yeti and the shadow projection, and the rest of the show elements are the actual physical landscape you are riding through. Big Thunder Mountain, for example, is just as fun to me regardless of whether or not the rocks are falling or the bats on strings are... spinning around, tangled up.

That's why, while I can understand the annoyance with TDO's reluctance to fix the yeti, I don't understand why so much of the fan community considers Everest such a bad ride without it. You could say its just my opinion, but watch guests after they ride Everest - they absolutely love it, even without the yeti swinging its arm at them.

Reddog

Both waterfalls have been on every day lately except for very cold days. The snow and mist effects have been disabled because they cause problems with mold inside the mountain and trip sensors on the ride track, causing the ride to shut down. I thought this was common knowledge on here? Bird-on-a-stick was a cheap looking effect and completely non-essential to the story. Does it really affect your ride experience in any way?

The thing with Everest is, it is primarily a roller coaster, not a ride that relies primarily on show elements to entertain you, like say, Dinosaur or Splash Mountain (or even Everest's "cousin", Revenge of the Mummy). Remove (disco) yeti and the shadow projection, and the rest of the show elements are the actual physical landscape you are riding through. Big Thunder Mountain, for example, is just as fun to me regardless of whether or not the rocks are falling or the bats on strings are... spinning around, tangled up.

That's why, while I can understand the annoyance with TDO's reluctance to fix the yeti, I don't understand why so much of the fan community considers Everest such a bad ride without it. You could say its just my opinion, but watch guests after they ride Everest - they absolutely love it, even without the yeti swinging its arm at them.

I still enjoy it but I would enjoy it more if the Yeti worked properly. The thing that really bothers me is that they continue to use footage of the moving Yeti to promote the ride. It's like a bait-and-switch tactic. "Here look at this really cool animatronic. You should come to AK and ride this ride so you can see it in person. Ooops, sorry its broken."

I also think that people are upset because it's the climax of the ride. Before I rode it (or knew what the Yeti was supposed to do), my aunt said to me "Just wait to you see the Yeti". I rode it and thought "Ok, I saw the Yeti." It wasn't until a few months later when I saw a commercial and understood what she was talking about.

janoimagine

The thing with Everest is, it is primarily a roller coaster, not a ride that relies primarily on show elements to entertain you, like say, Dinosaur or Splash Mountain (or even Everest's "cousin", Revenge of the Mummy).

I have to disagree ... Everest is built around a story, a story that has a climax ending with the encounter of the Yeti.

Last I checked, Disney was about story first, ride second ... I can pay half as much if I just wanted to ride a roller coaster by going to Cedar Point, but people like myself come to Disney to experience rides and attractions that are more than just trains whizzing around on steel tubes. So saying thats its primarily a roller coaster is giving the suits a free pass to be lazy, which is where the problem truly lies.

CoasterKing

I have to disagree ... Everest is built around a story, a story that has a climax ending with the encounter of the Yeti.

Last I checked, Disney was about story first, ride second ... I can pay half as much if I just wanted to ride a roller coaster by going to Cedar Point, but people like myself come to Disney to experience rides and attractions that are more than just trains whizzing around on steel tubes. So saying thats its primarily a roller coaster is giving the suits a free pass to be lazy, which is where the problem truly lies.

I agree 100% !!

CoasterKing
:king:

tikiman

I think someone was confused...
That runs contrary to everything I've ever been told about the structure, which is that the mountain frame, the coaster track/supports and the yeti mechanism are completely independent. None of the three touch the other at all, only sharing the common foundation.
Basically, they could go in and pull the whole yeti system out with no effect on either the ride system or the mountain structure.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am mistaken...

I am not confused about what I was told, I am just sharing what I was told but fine, the whole thing has no structural base and could easily be removed, Disney is just being lazy, and TLC knows much more about it than someone in Imagineering who saw it being designed. (heck of a run-on sentence)

Oh by the way Aliens make the Dole whips too. :lol:

Tom Morrow

I don't remember who said it and in what thread, but it was discussed in-depth recently on here: people often throw the "story first, ride second" ideology around, but if anything, its often more about setting than story.

Big Thunder Mountain? No story. Soarin'? No story. Haunted Mansion? No (official) story. Same with Pirates, Space Mountain, IAsW, and... I could go on. Yes, most of these rides have some sort of backstory explanation of the setting, but no narrative that is told directly to the guest as something that needs to be told to fully understand and enjoy the attraction (like Tower of Terror or Dinosaur).

I'm in no way excusing TDO for not fixing the Yeti by now, and yeah I'd love to see it work again. But the ride still technically has a climax, you still encounter the yeti even though the effect is lackluster at best.

I guess my point is, the yeti being in B mode doesn't destroy Everest's narrative, and Everest's narrative isn't essential to enjoying the attraction and is more of an "icing on the cake" type of situation.

Lee

Adventurer

Glad, and surprised, to hear that both waterfalls were working. I haven't seen them both on since probably 2006.

I am aware of the reasons that the mists were disabled. Its old news, but still somewhat infuriating. Boggles the mind that Disney wouldn't make the effort to correct the problems so they just shut it off. Horrible show and complete failure of the show over efficiency principle.

As for the support structure, tikiman I'm not doubting that you were told what you stated. I do doubt its accuracy. I've been told, as far back as 2005, that the yeti's structure was entirely self contained, in its own "show building" in in the side of the mountain. Nothing shared but the concrete slab that everything is mounted on.

But, anyway....yeti's still broke.

Rob562

I know about Everest, but what are the broken effects on dinosaur?

I know there's a complete list out there somewhere, but here's a few examples of broken/disabled:

-Sparks in the first time tunnel.
-All laser portal effects, and the laser "net" on the final Iguanodon.
-Jumping Compys are stationary.

The overhead spinning-then-stationary "scanner" on the turn after the seatbelt check seems to be more off than it is on, at least when I go.

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know there's a complete list out there somewhere, but here's a few examples of broken/disabled:

The overhead spinning-then-stationary "scanner" on the turn after the seatbelt check seems to be more off than it is on, at least when I go.

-Rob
Add the strobe bursts to the list too. Especially in the second vortex tunnel.

devoy1701

-Rob

Laser net?

:eek:

:(

Main Street USA

The pterodactyl that used to "fly" toward you when you heard Dr. Seeker say "Incoming!" has been stationary for years, as well.

As with many cases talked about above, it's still a fun ride, but man, it used to be truly amazing. The little things make a big difference, and to people like most of us who visit often, the broken things are just about all you see when you ride these attractions.

I absolutely CAN'T go on Everest without discussing the broken yeti afterward. I rode about a week ago with a newbie and I asked if she saw the yeti. Her response? "What yeti?" Ugh.

ctxak98

The pterodactyl that used to "fly" toward you when you heard Dr. Seeker say "Incoming!" has been stationary for years, as well.

As with many cases talked about above, it's still a fun ride, but man, it used to be truly amazing. The little things make a big difference, and to people like most of us who visit often, the broken things are just about all you see when you ride these attractions.

I absolutely CAN'T go on Everest without discussing the broken yeti afterward. I rode about a week ago with a newbie and I asked if she saw the yeti. Her response? "What yeti?" Ugh.

I 100% agree with you. I am the only one out of my family that even noticed the yeti changed. We went in 2007 and it worked perfectly and then again in 2008 and it was broken. I feel bad for people who have never been on it because I feel jipped in a way because it was truly spectacular. And Dinosaur also use to be much darker and louder at certain parts...back when it was countdown to extinction. That ride is super detailed in each scene(with all the effects working)..when there not....its kinda ruins the feeling of going back in time.:shrug:

Bravo 229

-Rob

The doors in the first time tunnel have been disabled for some time now as well. I totally forgot about the scanner in the load area, havent noticed it working in ages. CTE used to be one of the best rides on property, not to mention my personal favourite. Its just not as fun anymore.

Tom Morrow

I have this same problem, though I guess eventually for some effects I have just accepted that they are gone, that way if they ever do come back, its a nice little surprise, I guess =/.

Just remind yourself that most people riding, probably 95% or higher, don't notice or care either way and still enjoy it. Sadly, Disney realizes this too and uses it as a crutch to not fix these things...
well, did she at least enjoy the roller coaster?
I feel bad for people who have never been on it because I feel jipped in a way because it was truly spectacular.
Was it really "spectacular"? Or has the hyperbole on the internet surrounding it clouded our memory? Yes, it's an impressive animatronic... but you see it for three seconds (and that's if you know where to look, which new riders don't).
And Dinosaur also use to be much darker and louder at certain parts...back when it was countdown to extinction. That ride is super detailed in each scene(with all the effects working)..when there not....its kinda ruins the feeling of going back in time.:shrug:
If anything, Dinosaur is darker now than it's ever been, with more and more minor effects shut off and missing. Also, its still incredibly loud, and only a few areas of the ride were ever truly highly detailed.

ctxak98

I have this same problem, though I guess eventually for some effects I have just accepted that they are gone, that way if they ever do come back, its a nice little surprise, I guess =/.

Just remind yourself that most people riding, probably 95% or higher, don't notice or care either way and still enjoy it. Sadly, Disney realizes this too and uses it as a crutch to not fix these things...well, did she at least enjoy the roller coaster?Was it really "spectacular"? Or has the hyperbole on the internet surrounding it clouded our memory? Yes, it's an impressive animatronic... but you see it for three seconds (and that's if you know where to look, which new riders don't).If anything, Dinosaur is darker now than it's ever been, with more and more minor effects shut off and missing. Also, its still incredibly loud, and only a few areas of the ride were ever truly highly detailed.

Ummm when the yeti did work...you couldnt miss it! it was lit up and reaching at you. and loud. so Yah it was spectacular because it was the perfect climax to a story and made you want to ride it again. and DINOSAUR did use to be darker in my opinion. and I know not much of the ride is detailed I meant the dinosaurs the effects around it made it seem more real. thats all.

RSoxNo1

-Rob

I'm not sure about the effects in the time portal sequences, but my understanding on the Net at the end, The compy's and the Pterodactyl were that they were permanently turned off. Presumably the net because it didn't look all that good, and the other two because they either didn't work, or were a safety risk.

I would love to see Dinosaur get a significant refurbishment, make it a higher demand attraction and allow it to help with crowds during an Everest refurbishment. Otherwise, I think the only way the Yeti ever gets fixed is upon completion of World of Avatar.

the-reason14

Either way, it's better to have a working yeti that you see for a brief 3 or 5 seconds than a broken one. I do remember reading complaints about how short it was and how people thought they made a mistake by showing him for such a short amount of time but you'll get complaints about anything, literally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom