Yeti to be never fixed... solid evidence!

rsoxguy

ok isnt it all about the ride its a great roller coaster isnt it. Yes the yeti makes it a little more interesting but ride still is great

While the past few pages of this thread have included quite a bit of bickering, you should understand why people are so passionate about the broken Yeti. Those of us who saw the Yeti in its fully functioning glory now see the shame of an attraction that is currently a monument to neglect of proper showmanship and style. Disney doesn’t just make rides. They used to care about creating experiences.

Expedition Everest is far more than a roller coaster; it is a story that enables each participant to take part in the show. Riders spend the entire experience being chased by a mythical creature, only to see shadows and hear very intimidating growls throughout. The highlight, or climax, if you will, involves the Yeti finally appearing in all of his frightful glory and taking a swipe at the passing vehicle. It was the perfect ending to a very dynamic and animated experience. Now, the story ends with the equivalent of a stuffed bear standing in the corner. The whole story is, in essence, trivialized as a result.

G00fyDad

While the past few pages of this thread have included quite a bit of bickering, you should understand why people are so passionate about the broken Yeti. Those of us who saw the Yeti in its fully functioning glory now see the shame of an attraction that is currently a monument to neglect of proper showmanship and style. Disney doesn’t just make rides. They used to care about creating experiences.

Expedition Everest is far more than a roller coaster; it is a story that enables each participant to take part in the show. Riders spend the entire experience being chased by a mythical creature, only to see shadows and hear very intimidating growls throughout. The highlight, or climax, if you will, involves the Yeti finally appearing in all of his frightful glory and taking a swipe at the passing vehicle. It was the perfect ending to a very dynamic and animated experience. Now, the story ends with the equivalent of a stuffed bear standing in the corner. The whole story is, in essence, trivialized as a result.

Thank you. That is quite possibly the best explanation of why people get so bent out of shape about the Yeti. I myself have never really cared and could care less if he gets fixed so I never fully understood why people got all torqued up over it. That actually puts it into a little better perspective. Now I can see why you all get upset over this detail. I still don't miss it but I can sympathize now. :)

Alektronic

Well, cost is definately a HUGE factor. No way any substantial work can be done without spending a goodly amount of cash.
Also, I am hearing tales of some squabbling over who's responsibility it is and who's budget it would be coming out of when it does get fixed. That sort of thing never fails to complicate things.

As far as the ride operating, I am of the belief that a lot of the work could be done third shift and allow the ride to operate during the day. That's based on what I've heard about the issue, but I could be wrong. Safety first, and all that.

That is one of several possibilities that has been offered up as the cause of the problem. ( I can't confirm that, or that the issues is soley with the AA itself. Lube and whatnot.:lookaroun) If it is just a structural problem with the base, I would think that would be one of the easier and cheaper things to repair. Certainly moreso than having to deal with getting a whole new yeti.

If any AK engineers are reading this, feel free to fill me in....

I have some friends that work in maintenance in Animal Kingdom. Of course, the money is the big problem, but whose budget will it come out of. Maintenance says it was a bad design and WDI says it was improper maintenance there is a lot of finger pointing going on. Based on what goes on over at Dinosaur, they made bad adjustments, installed wrong parts, made many changes, deleted functions, and weren’t really qualified to work on them. So I tend to believe WDI, they design, install, and work on AA figures all the time.

The actual problem is with the Yeti's movable base; it is basically like a sled that gets pushed out with an actuator from his back. It is this movable sled that has stress cracks, not the foundation of the mountain or anything structural like that. They have made adjustments and try other fixes but it didn't help. The latest plan is just have the Yeti fixed in place and still have some limited functions.

menamechris

I have some friends that work in maintenance in Animal Kingdom. Of course, the money is the big problem, but whose budget will it come out of. Maintenance says it was a bad design and WDI says it was improper maintenance there is a lot of finger pointing going on. Based on what goes on over at Dinosaur, they made bad adjustments, installed wrong parts, made many changes, deleted functions, and weren’t really qualified to work on them. So I tend to believe WDI, they design, install, and work on AA figures all the time.

The actual problem is with the Yeti's movable base; it is basically like a sled that gets pushed out with an actuator from his back. It is this movable sled that has stress cracks, not the foundation of the mountain or anything structural like that. They have made adjustments and try other fixes but it didn't help. The latest plan is just have the Yeti fixed in place and still have some limited functions.

Given that it only actually worked properly for a few months, I would assume a design flaw would be a given. Of course, who could actually expect anyone to take responsibility for something that was so hyped - only to fall flat. Honestly, at this point, I really wish I could care, but now other serious issues are coming up - expansion, additions, and rehabs are seriously needed, and it is only becoming more apparent. Everest has been open for five years, and the yeti has been down almost just as long. Time marches on. If the resort gets to a place that they have extra cash to throw at something like this - awesome, I hope they fix it. But the last thing I want is for it to be the excuse that another part of the resort is neglected. Guests seem fine enough with the yeti the way he is now - there are other glaring issues that need to be addressed before millions should be spent on this, especially since it will probably just break again...

G00fyDad

I'm no engineer but, couldn't they attach Yeti to hydraulic pistons? What I mean is attach them to his back, cover in black so they will not be viewable from another angle. And have him always suspended a few inches from the floor but pulled back into the wall until that scare moment. Then he is pushed out by the hydraulic pistons out to the proper length and he can take a swipe at the car. Why have a sled anyway?

powlessfamily4

I think the problem would be in securing the pistons to the Yeti in a way that would eliminate the risk of them pulling off the Yeti. How big is the Yeti? How much does it weigh? Would it's frame allow for something like this to be attached or welded to it without the risk of it breaking loose and falling on the guests?

G00fyDad

I think the problem would be in securing the pistons to the Yeti in a way that would eliminate the risk of them pulling off the Yeti. How big is the Yeti? How much does it weigh? Would it's frame allow for something like this to be attached or welded to it without the risk of it breaking loose and falling on the guests?

You're saying they can design a ride that thrusts an entire ride vehicle into the air along with the 12 occupants inside over and over and over again (Dinosaur) but they can't put a much lighter 9 foot tall AA figure on the ends of piston arms? :lookaroun

Buried20KLeague

You're saying they can design a ride that thrusts an entire ride vehicle into the air along with the 12 occupants inside over and over and over again (Dinosaur) but they can't put a much lighter 9 foot tall AA figure on the ends of piston arms? :lookaroun

He's quite a bit taller than nine feet. :lookaroun

Double that and add some more.

flavious27

ok isnt it all about the ride its a great roller coaster isnt it. Yes the yeti makes it a little more interesting but ride still is great

Every disney ride is usually more than the ride system, it is the theme that was designed to go with it. With EE, it is a great ride but the yeti and design elements make it a better experience. Our problem is that the experience feels cheapened with either a broken yeti or the disco yeti. If we just cared about the ride systems, then half of us would be satisfied with great adventure.

RSoxNo1

This is some interesting info. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This video will give you an idea of the scale, power and complexity of the Yeti. It is considered the largest, most powerful and most complex AA every created by anyone. The Yeti portion starts at the 5 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7EkgChz_qg

G00fyDad

Wow. He never really seemed to be that huge. :lol: But even that large, couldn't they construct a setup that would push him out to the track without having to rely on a bottom support? Or at least something that wouldn't have to rely on the stress and friction of the movement but just the weight stress of horizontal movement? They seem to have a decent system in works with Soarin'. Maybe something along those lines to move him in and out of sight but on a smaller scale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom