Yeti to be never fixed... solid evidence!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow. He never really seemed to be that huge. :lol: But even that large, couldn't they construct a setup that would push him out to the track without having to rely on a bottom support? Or at least something that wouldn't have to rely on the stress and friction of the movement but just the weight stress of horizontal movement? They seem to have a decent system in works with Soarin'. Maybe something along those lines to move him in and out of sight.
There are a number of problems with that. First and foremost the machine has to be invisible. The only way to really do that in the environment yeti is in was a cantilevered support structure. This allows all of the support and working gear to be inside the wall while the yeti sticks out from it. But as always there is a trade off. By their very nature cantilevered support structures can take far less load than pretty much any other support method out there. The other issue is the speed at which the yeti has to move. Soarin's movements are very slow and fluid. The yeti in the other hand moves quickly and abruptly. That drastically increases the forces he puts on any support structure. Just think back to physics 101. Force = mass X acceleration. Increase the acceleration and you increase the force.

menamechris

There are a number of problems with that. First and foremost the machine has to be invisible. The only way to really do that in the environment yeti is in was a cantilevered support structure. This allows all of the support and working gear to be inside the wall while the yeti sticks out from it. But as always there is a trade off. By their very nature cantilevered support structures can take far less load than pretty much any other support method out there. The other issue is the speed at which the yeti has to move. Soarin's movements are very slow and fluid. The yeti in the other hand moves quickly and abruptly. That drastically increases the forces he puts on any support structure. Just think back to physics 101. Force = mass X acceleration. Increase the speed and you increase the force.

All of this is absolutely right. And on a more basic level, you don't want to have a 22-25 foot anamatronic wearing tons hanging over guests. I don't know how heavy it is - but I have no idea how it could logically be supported and function on pistons safely - and even if it could, I can't imagine the motivation. Maintenance would have to be twice as involved and costly, even if it was possible. If it can't work with a bottom support - I have no idea how it would work better hanging in the air...

Rob562

There are a number of problems with that. First and foremost the machine has to be invisible. The only way to really do that in the environment yeti is in was a cantilevered support structure. This allows all of the support and working gear to be inside the wall while the yeti sticks out from it. But as always there is a trade off. By their very nature cantilevered support structures can take far less load than pretty much any other support method out there. The other issue is the speed at which the yeti has to move. Soarin's movements are very slow and fluid. The yeti in the other hand moves quickly and abruptly. That drastically increases the forces he puts on any support structure. Just think back to physics 101. Force = mass X acceleration. Increase the speed and you increase the force.

It makes you wonder...

If the cantilever is the problem, would they be able to rebuild the support structure and have a counter-balance weight on the opposite end from the Yeti, thereby the hydraulics are only moving a balanced mass around, and not a cantilevered arm? If my memory from my high school physics are correct, this would be a lot less stress on the system as a whole, as there wouldn't be a rotational twist within the support structure, just a steady force downward. (And downward force is much easier to handle than a twisting force)

They'd probably have to extend the wall/mountain outward a bit to account for the weight sticking out the other side, but I'd hope that it's a place where that could be done.

-Rob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It makes you wonder...

If the cantilever is the problem, would they be able to rebuild the support structure and have a counter-balance weight on the opposite end from the Yeti, thereby the hydraulics are only moving a balanced mass around, and not a cantilevered arm? If my memory from my high school physics are correct, this would be a lot less stress on the system as a whole, as there wouldn't be a rotational twist within the support structure, just a steady force downward. (And downward force is much easier to handle than a twisting force)

They'd probably have to extend the wall/mountain outward a bit to account for the weight sticking out the other side, but I'd hope that it's a place where that could be done.

-Rob
If each object were stationary at the end of the cantilever then they would cancel out. I am not quite sure what would happen with one moving in a rather erratic fashion as the force them becomes variable. You then are also looking at moving twice the mass which come with its own set of issues. Lastly we arrive at the million dollar question....Is there room for a counter balance? If there is not the thought experiment kind of ends there.

ADP2

Given that it only actually worked properly for a few months, I would assume a design flaw would be a given. Of course, who could actually expect anyone to take responsibility for something that was so hyped - only to fall flat. Honestly, at this point, I really wish I could care, but now other serious issues are coming up - expansion, additions, and rehabs are seriously needed, and it is only becoming more apparent. Everest has been open for five years, and the yeti has been down almost just as long. Time marches on. If the resort gets to a place that they have extra cash to throw at something like this - awesome, I hope they fix it. But the last thing I want is for it to be the excuse that another part of the resort is neglected. Guests seem fine enough with the yeti the way he is now - there are other glaring issues that need to be addressed before millions should be spent on this, especially since it will probably just break again...
You know...I'd be perfectly fine with this or any true explination. I just wish Disney would publish something that states the reason why it doesn't work and why they haven't fixed it. I know it really isn't any of our business per se because we are only fans and sometimes guests, but considering how this attraction was marketed to us before it opened we sort of deserve an explination. Just my two cents.

The Empress Lilly

Right now, I would just remove the uberyeti, all twenty tons of it. Then I'd install a lightweight 'stuffed animal' yeti with a mechanism to move it forward, with a fast swinging arm movement. I could build it for $1500 in two afternoons. It would look quite decent.
For the rest, I would make good use of the guests whizzing past at great speed, and clever lighting effects and sound.

It would not be perfect, but it would be a solution until a definitive solution / budget / structural work make a twenty ton 'jumbojet' yeti a feasibility again.

G00fyDad

I haven't taken a physics class in years. LOL Thanks for explainig that though. What about the mechanism they use for the Carnotaurus in Dinosaur? Could something like that be used?

RSoxNo1

I haven't taken a physics class in years. LOL Thanks for explainig that though. What about the mechanism they use for the Carnotaurus in Dinosaur? Could something like that be used?

I assume part of the problem is that the Yeti is also elevated 100+ feet in the air.

G00fyDad

I assume part of the problem is that the Yeti is also elevated 100+ feet in the air.

I swear..... I have to be off in lala land when I'm on this ride. I always thought he was smaller than he is, lighter than he is, and that he was on the ledge to the side. He is on the right hand side of the car right?? LOL

Buried20KLeague

I swear..... I have to be off in lala land when I'm on this ride. I always thought he was smaller than he is, lighter than he is, and that he was on the ledge to the side. He is on the right hand side of the car right?? LOL

You're not alone in not having a great grasp on the yeti overall.

Your perception is exactly what TDO is counting on, actually... Which then gets back to the crux of the whole issue in the first place. It's a vicious circle that TDO is happy to be in, I think.

G00fyDad

You're not alone in not having a great grasp on the yeti overall.

Your perception is exactly what TDO is counting on, actually... Which then gets back to the crux of the whole issue in the first place. It's a vicious circle that TDO is happy to be in, I think.

Yes, but I remember when the yeti moved and I still have this smaller impression of it than others have. I must be losing my marbles. LOL

iceman22

I know why the yeti isn't getting fixed because yesterday I was watching this one thing about Animatronics and they interviewed some imagineers & the host asked about the yeti and they said they COULDN'T fix the yeti because one small animatronic cost about eight thousand dollars & if they fixed the yeti it would cost like 5,000,000 which I think their lying & making excuses so they can save more money to spend it on junk like Avtarland and other stuff no one really cares about.

Buried20KLeague

I know why the yeti isn't getting fixed because yesterday I was watching this one thing about Animatronics and they interviewed some imagineers & the host asked about the yeti and they said they COULDN'T fix the yeti because one small animatronic cost about eight thousand dollars & if they fixed the yeti it would cost 265,000,000 which I think their lying & making excuses so they can save more money to spend it on junk like Avtarland and other stuff no one really cares about.

:lookaroun

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I know why the yeti isn't getting fixed because yesterday I was watching this one thing about Animatronics and they interviewed some imagineers & the host asked about the yeti and they said they COULDN'T fix the yeti because one small animatronic cost about eight thousand dollars & if they fixed the yeti it would cost 265,000,000 which I think their lying & making excuses so they can save more money to spend it on junk like Avtarland and other stuff no one really cares about.

I think that I must have saw that same thing. I was astonished at the figure, but it was actually, 265,000,000.50........:lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
What? No.
Why not just hire a CM to wear a yeti costume & wave his arms each time a train goes by? :shrug:
Yep. I had that thought. Have the CP kids draw straws.
Loser gets into the suit...
10183921065f513cd2a5b8d9924b.jpg

I know why the yeti isn't getting fixed because yesterday I was watching this one thing about Animatronics and they interviewed some imagineers & the host asked about the yeti and they said they COULDN'T fix the yeti because one small animatronic cost about eight thousand dollars & if they fixed the yeti it would cost like 265,000,000 which I think their lying & making excuses so thUey can save more money to spend it on junk like Avtarland and other stuff no one really cares about.

Incorrect, and rather humorous...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I know why the yeti isn't getting fixed because yesterday I was watching this one thing about Animatronics and they interviewed some imagineers & the host asked about the yeti and they said they COULDN'T fix the yeti because one small animatronic cost about eight thousand dollars & if they fixed the yeti it would cost like 5,000,000 which I think their lying & making excuses so they can save more money to spend it on junk like Avtarland and other stuff no one really cares about.

Since when does Disney buy their parts from Military distributors?

RSoxNo1

What? No.

Yep. I had that thought. Have the CP kids draw straws.
Loser gets into the suit...
10183921065f513cd2a5b8d9924b.jpg

Incorrect, and rather humorous...

The fact that the Yeti is elevated doesn't effect the system at all? By comparison the Carnotaurus being on the ground would be less stress simply because there is more to support it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom