Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

JustInTime

I was on the YOUTUBE and was searching for the most recent video of everest and this one shows the yeti kind of i think "moving"? at the end or maybe its not moving but they just have a light on it and not a strobe....idk what it is....heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj1mtQWt5d4 :)

It looks different! For sure. There is a sold light on him. Very illuminated. Good find. I just hope this isn't an old video recently uploaded. Does anyone else notice he seems to be more lit up? It even looks like a bit of movement.

Edit: This HAS to be an old video. That looks like "A" mode.

Scuttle

It looks different! For sure. There is a sold light on him. Very illuminated. Good find. I just hope this isn't an old video recently uploaded. Does anyone else notice he seems to be more lit up? It even looks like a bit of movement.

Edit: This HAS to be an old video. That looks like "A" mode.

Yes he looks like a mode, but sadly I think it is a old video uploaded recently

GrumpyFan

i'm sorry for being this person but why exactly is the yeti broken/turned off and what exactly is disco mode? sorrrrrrryyyyy in advance...

Google is your friend. Try searching "expedition everest yeti". Or search thru some of the threads here. There's been plenty of stuff said about it.

belle119821

i'm sorry for being this person but why exactly is the yeti broken/turned off and what exactly is disco mode? sorrrrrrryyyyy in advance...

There is a ton on here about the yeti, but here's some of the main stuff:
Something was wrong (someone can correct me here if I'm way off) with the base the yeti was on, so they're trying to fix him. They started by flashing a strobe light on him (hence www.discoyeti.com), which was his B mode. Eventually, they decided to cover him up while trying to fix him and just not have him in that spot until recently, when he seems to be back in kind of an A-ish mode. An earlier post in this thread describes what he's doing now I believe.
Hope this helps, at least a little! :) :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is a ton on here about the yeti, but here's some of the main stuff:
Something was wrong (someone can correct me here if I'm way off) with the base the yeti was on, so they're trying to fix him. They started by flashing a strobe light on him (hence www.discoyeti.com), which was his B mode. Eventually, they decided to cover him up while trying to fix him and just not have him in that spot until recently, when he seems to be back in kind of an A-ish mode. An earlier post in this thread describes what he's doing now I believe.
Hope this helps, at least a little! :) :wave:
The foundation was the rumored problem for quite some time. Turns out, according to Lee, nothing is wrong with the foundation. The problem is in the lubrication system of the yeti's swinging arm.

littlemsmowgli

thanks! i appreciate it. :) while i do believe in doing the research on one's own time, i was having a hard time finding a concrete explanation of what exactly was going- too many sources quoting too many unsupported claims!

lazyboy97o

The foundation was the rumored problem for quite some time. Turns out, according to Lee, nothing is wrong with the foundation. The problem is in the lubrication system of the yeti's swinging arm.
Which just seems to make so much more sense than the foundation issue. The yeti figure was built and tested out in California, it was even shown sitting behind tarps on the Discovery Channel. How would the Imagineers have not known the true forces of the figure if they had him operating out there in Glendale?

Buried20KLeague

Which just seems to make so much more sense than the foundation issue. The yeti figure was built and tested out in California, it was even shown sitting behind tarps on the Discovery Channel. How would the Imagineers have not known the true forces of the figure if they had him operating out there in Glendale?

I seem to recall the rumor was less about the Imagineer's math being incorrect, and possibly more about shoddy materials to build it. The quality of the concrete used, etc.

Can't recall right now where I remember that from though. It's been quite a while.

flavious27

I seem to recall the rumor was less about the Imagineer's math being incorrect, and possibly more about shoddy materials to build it. The quality of the concrete used, etc.

Can't recall right now where I remember that from though. It's been quite a while.

it is in one of the many yeti threads. from what has been said, it was a whole list of problems that individually would not matter but together we get disco yeti.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

It is quite possible that you hard it from me as I have brought up that hypothesis up several times. At the time all of the rumors were pointing to some kind of structural failure with the support or foundation. As an engineer I know gigantic engineering design failures in this day and age are pretty rare. Computers do all of the hard core math and there are so many checks and balances that the chance of a blunder of that magnitude was pretty improbable. The most common causes for structural failures that I have seen in my career have either been incorrect installation and/or incorrect materials being used. If the foundation was indeed the problem (I am now fairly certain it is not) and error on one or both of those areas was the most probable cause.

Wait, so I'm confused...I've read the thread. Where do we stand now? Is Disco Yeti back or do we have an A- Mode yeti?
Still in Disco mode.

juniorthomas

it is in one of the many yeti threads. from what has been said, it was a whole list of problems that individually would not matter but together we get disco yeti.

Does anyone remember the last time we had live action yeti? I swear, disco yeti is what everyone is being raised on, by now.

menamechris

Does anyone remember the last time we had live action yeti? I swear, disco yeti is what everyone is being raised on, by now.

I believe sometime in late 2006. I think it was only in A-mode for a few months after opening. So maybe 1-2% of all people who have ridden it have actually witnessed the Yeti in A-mode at this point....

inluvwithbeast

Well, June 2006 it was in A-mode, then my return trip in March 09 it was not. Haha, that's kind of a long time interval so probably didn't help answer your question much.

I remember getting off EE my 09 trip and thinking that something was off. It just didn't seem quite the same. I didn't realize until later when joining the online world of WDW fanatics that it was the yeti.

juniorthomas

I believe sometime in late 2006. I think it was only in A-mode for a few months after opening. So maybe 1-2% of all people who have ridden it have actually witnessed the Yeti in A-mode at this point....

So for all we know, Disco Yeti may be the better version. (crosses fingers, as he himself has never seen the A-team yeti.)

juniorthomas

Well, June 2006 it was in A-mode, then my return trip in March 09 it was not. Haha, that's kind of a long time interval so probably didn't help answer your question much.

I remember getting off EE my 09 trip and thinking that something was off. It just didn't seem quite the same. I didn't realize until later when joining the online world of WDW fanatics that it was the yeti.

Color me jealous. Or blue. Blue is my favorite color. So either or, really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom