Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

AEfx

Accident. Sorry. I was addressing the inconsistency in his posts about his opinion on animals vs rides

There was no inconsistency, simply a misunderstanding.

I just haven't had time to come in and review the thread until now, and it's kind of funny all the assumptions people have made about me. The funniest one is that I'd rather Everest be a great big monster coaster, haha. My favorite ride at WDW is Snow White's Scary Adventures, followed by The Great Movie Ride. ;) So no, I'm not looking for thrills.

But this point is the one people keep coming back to, so even though I thoroughly explained my positions and don't feel the need to revisit them (other people disagree, well within their rights), I think this misunderstanding is relevant to discuss.

AK is supposed to be a theme park with rides *and* animal experiences. Unfortunately, it does not do either of them well enough.

There simply are not enough rides in the park, and the ones that are there are generally lackluster. We have Disco Everest, we have Dinosaur (which I love but has horrible upkeep), the two off-the-shelf things in Dinoland, and the Safari.

Well all know about the issues with Everest. Dinosaur works, but again, the upkeep/broken effects are pretty sad. The two Dinoland things - well, I know some people think they are appropriate because of the carnival theme, I feel more like they picked the carinval theme so they could throw down two cheapo rides, but in any case, they are there should people wish to ride them.

Safari is subjective, I guess. The environments are great, but much of the day the animals are not active and sleeping. Literally every time I go the tour guide has to either explain why we can't see the lions, or points out that if you look 100's of yards away behind a rock you can see an ear popping up. They spend a lot of time explaining the habitat to you, but if you rarely see the animal...it's kind of useless. Add that to the fact that when you DO see animals, they just speed you by (presumably so the following ride vehicles can see the animals while they are actually out there).

What I was explaining was that they don't "wow" with the rides, they don't "wow" with the animals. Both are done better elsewhere. Rides are done better right there at WDW, and there are many zoo's across the country that allow much more interaction (and reliability of such) with animals. (And to answer RedSox's question earlier - yes, indeed, I would MUCH rather have more animals, and get closer to them, than have pretty environments that don't offer a lot of animal interaction or viewing.)

I'm not a huge zoo/animal person, but I do enjoy them. And, it's hard to sit and think of that many experiences I've had at AK over the years that really made me go "wow I really was impressed with that animal interaction". And except for Dinosaur, which I love just because I adore dark rides, there aren't enough rides (or quality of them) to impress either.

So there is no inconsistency on anyone but Disney when it comes to AK. They say it's, "Nahtazoo", and it's not. But they offer animal experiences. It's certainly not a theme park, at least as Disney usually builds them revolving around rides and mostly moving attractions, either. Thing is, you can get better ride experiences elsewhere, and better animal experiences elsewhere. Just putting them together in a park doesn't matter, that's just location - if the experiences don't wow on either level, that's where I have a hard time keeping interest in that park.

It's interesting, because I think Disney knows this. That's why they keep adding those very expensive experiences to get "deeper" into AK. I'm all for paying more for premium experiences, but on the other hand if I have to spend $200/pp on top of admission to get some decent animal interaction/views, then that right there speaks to itself in the overall design of the attractions available to "regular" guests.

sunsetgrill

Yea

Glad the Yeti's being fixed, though it's more because Disney still heavily advertises it as being fully functional(resort TV, promotional videos, etc). To me, I feel like they're trying to pull one over, since the Yeti hasn't performed the way they advertise for years. I would have been ok with a hobbled Yeti, if they just promoted it that way, though I still want things fixed when they're broken. I ride EE for the coaster & queue and am not overly concerned with the last 2.5 seconds of prop.

Having noticed some curiosity regarding our opinions, as another WDWFanBoy I can honestly say that we are in no way given anything from Disney for the work on our show. I have personally made sure this will never happen, as our "Uncensored Podcasts" will verify, as well as some of my in-show comments. This allows us to keep it real and honest, which is probably not how most corporations like to run things. I'll leave the kissing-up to Little Lou. :zipit:

jed012788

I am going to AK Saturday morning. Do you have an excuse ready? :ROFLOL:

Seriously though...my only irritation is when new people speak as if they sat in on an imagineer meeting. Or the famous "I came across these plans.."

Otherwise, welcome!! :wave:
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I understand your trepidation regarding posts that start with the words "I came across these plans." I'm not suggesting I sneaked into an Imagineer meeting or have any top-secret, confidential information. I also don't claim to be an "insider," like the posters called "Lee" and "raven," who seem to be incredible sources for information.

I just happen to have a line into this one situation this time, and I'm very confident in my sources for it. If I'm wrong, I'll happily pop back to the boards next week and own up. I won't have an excuse, though. I'll just say that my source steered me wrong this time. Not the end of the world.

Ralphlaw

So, after much digression, is it being fixed or not. I heard that the footings for the yeti weren't strong enough, and that a major long overhaul was needed. Apparently it's not that bad?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So, after much digression, is it being fixed or not. I heard that the footings for the yeti weren't strong enough, and that a major long overhaul was needed. Apparently it's not that bad?
No. From the information that Lee provided there was never any issues with the foundation whatsoever. The issue was a design problem with the lubrication system of the swinging arm. The problem was discovered shortly after he was installed. It was thought that an increased maintenance schedule would remedy the situation but that hypothesis proved to be incorrect.

NoChesterHester

No. From the information that Lee provided there was never any issues with the foundation whatsoever. The issue was a design problem with the lubrication system of the swinging arm. The problem was discovered shortly after he was installed. It was thought that an increased maintenance schedule would remedy the situation but that hypothesis proved to be incorrect.

Saw that... Heard that.

Something really doesn't add up here. Sounds like a CYA story distributed widely well after the fact to do damage control.

Now I know absolute bupkis about robotics, but three years of downtime for an issue with lubrication? An issue the "knew about from the beginning." just doesn't pass the sniff test.

MerlinTheGoat

I've not been here very long, so i don't know if this ever happens on this site, but it's possible that the jed012788 is making an April fools day joke (April 1st is tomorrow after all). Seems like pretty good timing that he'll come back tomorrow after the park opens and everyone goes there to see a still-hidden/broken Yeti and wonder why he wasn't right. To which he'll gleefully post, "APRIL FOOLS, LOLOLOL GOT YOU ALL!" :p

I'm not going to discount his honesty either though. But the timing is just a little too perfect to take seriously just yet. I'll fess up if he ends up being right of course and apologize to him, but it just never pays to take stuff too seriously around April Fools Day. Seems like the perfect thing to do to forum goers on this site. And no i'm not an insider myself, but i'm a huge skeptic on the matter.

And actually, the lubrication issue sounds true enough. Exactly something they'd neglect doing and wave a dismissive hand about, giving hope to the wind that it'll end up being ok and take care of itself.

GrumpyFan

I've not been here very long, so i don't know if this ever happens on this site, but it's possible that the jed012788 is making an April fools day joke (April 1st is tomorrow after all). Seems like pretty good timing that he'll come back tomorrow after the park opens and everyone goes there to see a still-hidden/broken Yeti and wonder why he wasn't right. To which he'll gleefully post, "APRIL FOOLS, LOLOLOL GOT YOU ALL!" :p

FWIW - I was there on Tuesday night (3/29), and on a whim asked a CM where he was. The answer she gave was "hibernation". When asked when he would return, she said "April 1st", to which I replied, "Riiight, I believe that one". So, in my book, that's two strikes, 1) The source was a CM 2) The date of April 1st.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Saw that... Heard that.

Something really doesn't add up here. Sounds like a CYA story distributed widely well after the fact to do damage control.

Now I know absolute bupkis about robotics, but three years of downtime for an issue with lubrication? An issue the "knew about from the beginning." just doesn't pass the sniff test.
This is exactly why I detest Disney's lack of transparency in matters like this. Had they said what was wrong 3 years ago much of this talk ans speculation would have never happened. While 3 years is seemingly a long time to fix what on the surface seems like a minor problem I seriously doubt the problem was minor and I do not think Disney has been sitting on their hands the whole time either. If you remember correctly we got surprised with a working Yeti for a few days a year or so ago which shows they have been working on the issue. I suspect they are trying to both avoid down time for the attraction and fit the repair into the maintenance budget as well.

RSoxNo1

This is exactly why I detest Disney's lack of transparency in matters like this. Had they said what was wrong 3 years ago much of this talk ans speculation would have never happened. While 3 years is seemingly a long time to fix what on the surface seems like a minor problem I seriously doubt the problem was minor and I do not think Disney has been sitting on their hands the whole time either. If you remember correctly we got surprised with a working Yeti for a few days a year or so ago which shows they have been working on the issue. I suspect they are trying to both avoid down time for the attraction and fit the repair into the maintenance budget as well.

Wasn't that conveniently linked to a visit from some higher ups?

GrumpyFan

I do not remember in being linked to that. What I do remember is it came right out of the blue with no warning whatsoever.

I seem to remember that Joe Rohde and a few other higher ups were in town to promote something, but I don't remember the details. I remember it because I happened to be lucky enough to be there that week and got to see him in A mode.

EDIT - I did a search and found out that Joe and a bunch of others, including the press, were there in April of 2008, for Earth Day and AK's 10th birthday celebration.

Rich1

In line for Everest as we speak. Full report on yeti when finished. I was also informed April 1 would be the day but with the weather causing serious disruption in the parks and maintenance thus week...who knows

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom